Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/20/2024 10:06:27 PM EDT
G90 with the fan stand, another stand, and the DE-19 at Radioditty.  $449 + tax.

https://www.radioddity.com/collections/hf-transceiver/products/xiegu-g90-hf-transceiver

It may not be the best deal ever, but it seems like a pretty good one.

I guess it's time to get my general...
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 10:18:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm curious on the performance on this unit.

Although I think I'm almost convinced to buy this one as soon as Yu has some more made.

https://bg2fx.com/fx-4cr-transceiver-prod

Link Posted: 3/20/2024 10:26:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: chumpmiester] [#2]
I just ordered the G90 yesterday and am expecting it delivered on Saturday according to FEDEX. They do seem to get good reviews on this and other forums and on the ham review website. I'm going to use mine for a portable setup.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 8:06:59 AM EDT
[#3]
they are very popular in POTA activations

When I work “Park to Park” and ask, it’s almost always a…

G90
FT891
IC-7300

Link Posted: 3/21/2024 8:36:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Colt653:

they are very popular in POTA activations

When I work “Park to Park” and ask, it’s almost always a…

G90
FT891
IC-7300

View Quote

One of my area buddies has a G90 and an IC-705. You might hear him using either. And an FT-818 for even less power.

Question for the group: Does the G90 (or any similar rig) have a detachable, remote-capable head like the IC-703/706/7000 lines did?
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 10:01:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Yes the G90 has a removable head unit. For what ever reason Xiegu decided to use a RS232 data cable as the remote cabling.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 10:27:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AnalogKid] [#6]
Originally Posted By chumpmiester:
Yes the G90 has a removable head unit. For what ever reason Xiegu decided to use a RS232 data cable as the remote cabling.
View Quote

That could be interesting from a bicycle mobile standpoint on 10/12M. An 8ft whip w/ counterpoise could even be used while underway.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 11:00:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Using the G90 at home, next to a Yaesu 891, made me impressed with the SDR receiver on SSB, as it pertains to my high noise floor at home.

I have been running mine mobile with a Tarheel. I have gotten very good signal reports.

Having listened to many POTA guys saying they are using a G90, I think it's mic gain / compression provides good "punch".

Overall I am happy with the radio for what I have used it for.

For POTA/Home I prefer a main option with 100 watts for SSB, even though I rarely turn it up above 50W, which is marginally different than 20W.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 12:23:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Attachment Attached File
Granted I'm a newb and the G90 is my first and so far only HF radio, this is a page of my log book contacts made with my G90 and a EFHW antenna.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 12:26:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By oldcatawba:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/252051/IMG_1008_jpeg-3165278.JPGGranted I'm a newb and the G90 is my first and so far only HF radio, this is a page of my log book contacts made with my G90 and a EFHW antenna.
View Quote

NICE

Link Posted: 3/21/2024 1:06:54 PM EDT
[#10]
It's a cheap chinese junk radio that hears as well as radios that cost twice as much. 20w will get you out to the world, you have to have patience when working stations. Mine has been great for 2 years, the only issues have been self induced.
They have a tuner that matches as well or better as anything in a big 3 radio.
The G90 and the X5105 are probably their best two radios. The X6100 is a fine radio, but is more sensitive to to outside rf, like common mode, etc. If you have a nearby AM broadcast station you will likely need an AM filter available on Amazon for around 20 bucks. They do a poor job of filtering AM stations no matter which model.
You won't be getting "lobster" for dinner with these, you will get "lobster" performance, with a "lunchmeat" image and price.
I will take a G90 or X6100 over a yaesu FT817 or 818 all day every day, and add a cheap dual band ht for the u/v side.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 1:42:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By lorazepam:
I will take a G90 or X6100 over a yaesu FT817 or 818 all day every day, and add a cheap dual band ht for the u/v side.
View Quote

3 of my mountain/bikepacking bikes are set up with a holder which a VX-7R mounts on. That thing has saved me from getting wet more times than I care to count thanks to its weather-band coverage.

And is Reason Numero Uno why I will NOT consider replacing it with an 817/818 for use in this capacity.

I foresee a Xeigu on the handlebars at some point.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 2:32:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By whollyshite:
G90 with the fan stand, another stand, and the DE-19 at Radioditty.  $449 + tax.

https://www.radioddity.com/collections/hf-transceiver/products/xiegu-g90-hf-transceiver

It may not be the best deal ever, but it seems like a pretty good one.

I guess it's time to get my general. EXTRA ..
View Quote

Let me fix that for you....congrats on the new radio, now upgrade.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 2:50:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By AnalogKid:

One of my area buddies has a G90 and an IC-705. You might hear him using either. And an FT-818 for even less power.

Question for the group: Does the G90 (or any similar rig) have a detachable, remote-capable head like the IC-703/706/7000 lines did?
View Quote

As said, the head can be detached with an RS-232 cable. Also the head unit updates firmware slightly differently than the base radio does.

There's also the GSOC for a more featured remote control: https://www.radioddity.com/collections/hf-transceiver/products/xiegu-gsoc
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 3:00:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Great radio. I've worked the world with it.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 6:21:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Hayashi_Killian:

As said, the head can be detached with an RS-232 cable. Also the head unit updates firmware slightly differently than the base radio does.

There's also the GSOC for a more featured remote control: https://www.radioddity.com/collections/hf-transceiver/products/xiegu-gsoc
View Quote

Run away from that turd. It has never worked properly, and there is no real support.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 11:24:47 PM EDT
[#16]

Run away from that turd. It has never worked properly, and there is no real support.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Hayashi_Killian:

I have not seen very many positive reviews of the GSOC.  I wouldn't recommend it either.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:14:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Gave in to impulse & ordered a G90 to play with.  Should show Monday.  May end up doing a DIY screwdriver build for mobile at some point, probably going to get some early use from the back deck with a tree hung EFHW.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top