Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/6/2018 8:56:42 PM EDT
Well took my tech exam passed with 100%. It was pretty easy, now for the wait. Gonna plan on taking the general in January, maybe the amateur extra sometime next year.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 8:59:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Congratulations!
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 9:04:05 PM EDT
[#2]

General is virtually the same test, prepare
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 9:44:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Congrats!
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 9:53:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Congratulations! Now for your General because HF is where the fun stuff happens.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 11:43:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 12:01:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Congrats on passing the test.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 7:03:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks. Hf is the goal, the local repeaters are cool, digital is cooler, but i want worldwide with no internet.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 8:57:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Congratulations!

Watch Hamdata, call signs pop up there quicker than the FCC ILS site.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 9:45:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for that im hoping it'll be listed by this time next week
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 9:54:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks. Hf is the goal, the local repeaters are cool, digital is cooler, but i want worldwide with no internet.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 1:54:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
RIGHT ON

HF is what put the hook in me.

The ability to set up an antenna, and a 100watt ( or even 25) station and contact stations 8000miles away is still amazing after all these years.

the first time I keyed up and used my callsign, was on 10meter SSB.

worked a guy way out in California who was calling CQ

I told him this was my first QSO

He was so excited he mailed me a card the same day.

Link Posted: 12/7/2018 3:14:13 PM EDT
[#12]
That's awesome. It's pretty amazing how a person can set up a simple antenna and a radio and talk world wide by bouncing signals off the atmosphere. It takes the average person billions in infrastructure to accomplish that, granted i know it's not exactly the same but still pretty amazing.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 9:54:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
That's awesome. It's pretty amazing how a person can set up a simple antenna and a radio and talk world wide by bouncing signals off the atmosphere. It takes the average person billions in infrastructure to accomplish that, granted i know it's not exactly the same but still pretty amazing.
View Quote
What's even more amazing is when you do it with 5 Watts and a simple antenna on an isolated mountain peak.

Lynn KCØYQF Manages a SOTA Pile-up ...Plus a Goat!
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 10:20:46 PM EDT
[#14]
A big CONGRATS!!!

If you are capable of 100% on the Tech, you should pass the General, too.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 11:10:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Congrats, Cheepjeep85!  
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 12:13:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
It is a lot of fun now but wait till the next solar maximum. This is when you will be able to work the whole world with 10 Watts and a small 6 foot long mobile vertical. Back in the late 80's, during a solar maximum, I once worked Japan on 10 meters with about 40 watts and a 100W incandescent light bulb as an antenna. LOL.

Congrats on passing the exam! Go for Extra if you can but General will open all HF bands for you.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 12:56:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Good Lord, 10 meters being open around the clock, fun stuff. Not really DX at all, but I worked a CA station from IL on 10M FM and my "S" meter was pinned at 60 dB over "S" 9 for about 20 min. I'd listen to 17M and hear a truck driver in CO work a DL somewhere and hear both sides of the contact. I wonder how serious the Maunder minimum stuff really is.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 10:46:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

It is a lot of fun now but wait till the next solar maximum. This is when you will be able to work the whole world with 10 Watts and a small 6 foot long mobile vertical. Back in the late 80's, during a solar maximum, I once worked Japan on 10 meters with about 40 watts and a 100W incandescent light bulb as an antenna. LOL.

Congrats on passing the exam! Go for Extra if you can but General will open all HF bands for you.
View Quote
Quoted:
Good Lord, 10 meters being open around the clock, fun stuff. Not really DX at all, but I worked a CA station from IL on 10M FM and my "S" meter was pinned at 60 dB over "S" 9 for about 20 min. I'd listen to 17M and hear a truck driver in CO work a DL somewhere and hear both sides of the contact. I wonder how serious the Maunder minimum stuff really is.
View Quote
I really need top start reading up on all id the solar stuff, i understand the i idea, but not the details.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 10:56:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
A large majority of that infrastructure was built upon what a Ham Radio Operator (or in some lesser cases; Uncle Sugar) developed
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 11:01:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Here's a website with a good rundown on propagation, antennas, feedlines, and standing wave ratio (SWR). It's long, so you might want to download the .pdf file and print it out.

Here are 3 websites with current propagation and auroral data:
https://dx.qsl.net/propagation/propagation.html
http://www.solarham.net/
https://www.hfpropagation.com/

Incidentally, here's a website in Lapland that streams auroral displays realtime: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrEfDv09Q2suoiSDt1hZIlg.
Consult either of the two sites above to see how strong the auroral oval is. Strong activity means the bands are unstable.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 11:47:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
 Right on!

Congratulations!
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 2:00:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Here's a website with a good rundown on propagation, antennas, feedlines, and standing wave ratio (SWR). It's long, so you might want to download the .pdf file and print it out.

Here are 3 websites with current propagation and auroral data:
https://dx.qsl.net/propagation/propagation.html
http://www.solarham.net/
https://www.hfpropagation.com/

Incidentally, here's a website in Lapland that streams auroral displays realtime: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrEfDv09Q2suoiSDt1hZIlg.
Consult either of the two sites above to see how strong the auroral oval is. Strong activity means the bands are unstable.
View Quote
Thanks for that
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 6:55:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

According to a couple of NASA scientists, and others world wide, we may be in a Maunder Minimum for the next 50-60 years.Not only will there be a mini ice age, but propagation will suck.

We will know by 2020 if it will happen. If the sunspots don't pick up like they should have already with the 11 year cycle suppossed to be on the upswing, then shit is going to suck. Bad propagation, famine, and cold. But it could be bullshit. It is all based on a computer model and what appears to be a delay in the upswing of sunspots on the 11 year cycle.

https://astronomynow.com/2015/07/17/diminishing-solar-activity-may-bring-new-ice-age-by-2030/
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 11:25:07 AM EDT
[#24]
The similarity is between the past few cycles and the lead-up to the Maunder Minimum is *interesting*.

I got my Novice license just before Cycle 19 ramping up. The propagation was fantastic. Once I passed my General and could afford a halfway decent receiver, 35 Watts from a single 6146 into a simple dipole put the world at my fingertips.

Link Posted: 12/10/2018 3:52:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The similarity is between the past few cycles and the lead-up to the Maunder Minimum is *interesting*.

http://seawapa.org/gsm/assets/images/mini-ice-age-1400x933.jpg

I got my Novice license just before Cycle 19 ramping up. The propagation was fantastic. Once I passed my General and could afford a halfway decent receiver, 35 Watts from a single 6146 into a simple dipole put the world at my fingertips.

http://www.solen.info/solar/cycl19.gif
View Quote
holy crap if I am reading that correctly,

It isnt just a hypothetical computer model
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 5:46:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

According to a couple of NASA scientists, and others world wide, we may be in a Maunder Minimum for the next 50-60 years.Not only will there be a mini ice age, but propagation will suck.

We will know by 2020 if it will happen. If the sunspots don't pick up like they should have already with the 11 year cycle suppossed to be on the upswing, then shit is going to suck. Bad propagation, famine, and cold. But it could be bullshit. It is all based on a computer model and what appears to be a delay in the upswing of sunspots on the 11 year cycle.

https://astronomynow.com/2015/07/17/diminishing-solar-activity-may-bring-new-ice-age-by-2030/
View Quote
Well, if we are truly in for a Grand Minimum then tech licenses will be even more exciting as we do EME bounce and AMSATs on 2m/70cm and even up into the GHz bands.

I have been doing quite a bit of reading on the Sun and all the evidence does look like we are in a bad doldrums right now.  It's not recovering like it should according to the 11 year cycle.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 8:09:50 PM EDT
[#27]
160M, 80M, 60M and 40M to some extent will get better. Don't sweat it so much, just adapt. 73, Rob
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 8:43:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
160M, 80M, 60M and 40M to some extent will get better. Don't sweat it so much, just adapt. 73, Rob
View Quote
Yep

and when there is no radio DX

.....there is always magnum revolver DX

Link Posted: 12/11/2018 11:37:25 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
Learn CW. DX on 40, 80, and even 160 is doable with 50 Watts to a dipole. On 40 and 80, even QRP contacts are no big deal.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 11:45:52 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Learn CW. DX on 40, 80, and even 160 is doable with 50 Watts to a dipole. On 40 and 80, even QRP contacts are no big deal.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
my son and I ( 150 miles apart ) routinely have 80 m QSOs on olivia with less than 1 watt output each and his 80 m endfed is 15 feet off the ground.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 2:47:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Congratulations OP!
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 8:39:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Thank you again. Waiting on my call sign sucks. Took the test last Thursday hoping to have it by the end of the week.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 10:13:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Thank you again. Waiting on my call sign sucks. Took the test last Thursday hoping to have it by the end of the week.
View Quote
when I upgraded from tech-plus, to advanced, My file got lost at the FCC and it took almost a year to get my upgrade and new callsign.

Then Bill & Hillary Clinton decided that regular folks like us couldn't have flash suppressors and bayonet lugs

I sold my radio gear and started buying pre-ban rifles.

Today we can have both
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 8:45:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Finally my call sign showed up on uls today. I made a contact on the local repeater, that was pretty cool.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 1:26:19 AM EDT
[#35]
Congrats! I finally passed my tech a few months back.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 6:19:24 AM EDT
[#36]
Congrats to you as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top