Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/14/2021 11:22:52 AM EDT
My wife is finally sincere about dehydrating. I have put back quite of bit of long term food (rice, beans, lentils, pasta, veggies, fruits, soup bases, etc. etc.), but my chief deficiency is meat. The primary protein source in my stores is beans.

We are cattle ranchers and have the capacity to butcher as much beef as we want.

I am totally ignorant about dehydrators. We intend to do both meat and vegetables. Budget isn't a concern, but I don't need expensive for the sake of expensive.

Please share some recommendations. I currently have a couple hundred pound of ground in my freezer, but plenty on the hoof, and the room to store as much as my wife is willing to work up.

Thanks!

Should there be a big thread out there, show me the way!

ETA: After seeing how reasonable these things are, I am fine with a good commercial unit.

Link Posted: 4/14/2021 4:11:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I have A Nesco 75A 600W dehydrator for about six years now.  I probably only use it three times a year for Jerky but it also works great for drying wet tumbled brass

It is very simple and I have no complaints with it.  I did buy a couple of additional trays to use with it for larger batches.  It's the only unit I have experience with.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 4:13:38 PM EDT
[#2]
We have an Excalibur which we've been very happy with. I highly recommend it.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 7:11:30 PM EDT
[#3]
My 2 Excalibur units have been great.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 7:24:48 PM EDT
[#4]
this is my latest and greatest so far.

amazonian dehydrator

Link Posted: 4/14/2021 8:43:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Reviews on everything are all over the board.  Do we like this one?  Reviews are skewed because most fire it up a few times a year for jerky or something.  

Amazon.com: Food Dehydrator, 10 Layers Commercial Stainless Steel Fruit Dehydrator, 1000W Professional Adjustable Temperature Control and 0~24 Hours Digital Timer Food Dryer Household with Glass Window and Recipe: Kitchen & Dining
https://www.amazon.com/Dehydrator-Commercial-Professional-Adjustable-Temperature/dp/B07YTN53M2
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 9:01:53 PM EDT
[#6]
did my link not work?

am I on ignore?

I unfriend you.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 9:36:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
did my link not work?

am I on ignore?

I unfriend you.
View Quote

Lol, no man. I appreciate it. I'm just looking over a bunch of them. When you say "latest", how long are we talking. Please be my friend.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 9:44:08 AM EDT
[#8]

I've had it 14 months.  

friend invitation sent

Link Posted: 4/15/2021 9:55:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I've had it 14 months.  

friend invitation sent

View Quote

Frequency of use, good friend?

Some of the units are suggesting modification for meats, in that the thermostat isn't in the proper place. Do you do a mix of both, vegetable, meat, fruits, etc.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 10:55:01 AM EDT
[#10]
all meat... some salmon.

it has decent circulation;  I just pull the trays and flip them 180 about half way through the drying process.

I think it is about the best cheapie you can get for the tray count/space.  I got the 12 rack.

I've used it over 20 times.  I really wanted the digital temp and timer ability.

Link Posted: 4/15/2021 1:03:45 PM EDT
[#11]

It's on the way. Thx.

I've always heard that salmon fishing in Arizona is awesome! Time to plead with Publix for more buckets.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 1:51:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Attachment Attached File

And so it begins.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 3:38:40 PM EDT
[#13]

Having never used one before, I'm curious what your initial impressions are out of the box on this.  Straightforward use/docs?  You happy with it?
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 4:56:06 PM EDT
[#14]
What is the shelf life of freeze dried beef vs. dehydrated?  I have no experience with freeze drying, but if you can swing the initial investment, it makes a lot of sense to me on paper.  Just spit balling here.  I have the same dilemma of storing protein, and have been trying out pressure canning.  Let us know what you decide and how it works out.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 4:58:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Having never used one before, I'm curious what your initial impressions are out of the box on this.  Straightforward use/docs?  You happy with it?
View Quote

It's the amazonian unit linked above. It looks solid. Door is a little skewed, but fixable. Wife hasn't figured out how to switch from Celsius to Fahrenheit @bounce19712 .

Those apples are the first cook. Racks are solid. It isn't loud. I'm not sure about the evenness of cooking, as the wife is rotating every hour or so. She seems happy with it though.

I'm going to go to a farmers market this weekend and bulk buy some seasonal stuff. One of my staff owns a blue berry farm that can only sell to one retailer. They occasionally have a rejected pallet that they can't do anything with. Fine food....but "factory blems" so to speak. Ditto with a strawberry farmer I know. Going to work fruits and veggies first, then slide into beef. The 4H/FFA kids have all of our butchers busy for the next month or so, so we are going to work the other stuff first. I don't mind updating this one as we go.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 5:01:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
What is the shelf life of freeze dried beef vs. dehydrated?  I have no experience with freeze drying, but if you can swing the initial investment, it makes a lot of sense to me on paper.  Just spit balling here.  I have the same dilemma of storing protein, and have been trying out pressure canning.  Let us know what you decide and how it works out.
View Quote

I believe with either, that if you use mylar and o2 absorbers, they are good for 25 years+ if properly stored. I have had one failure in 16 years, and it was a No 10 can that had tomato sauce. Not my packing though.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 6:20:35 PM EDT
[#17]
I think the period at the end of @bounce made it non deliverable....

You can press the "Temp" button for 3s to switch the temp unit between ? and ?.

MAYBE THE @ FEATURE ISN"T WORKING ANYMORE!!  PLEASE, EVERYONE TEST BY @ing ALL THE MODS.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 6:24:49 PM EDT
[#18]

hey thats great!  if you havent figured it out already...I found it easier to pull the trays and rotate them 180degrees instead of moving stuff around to get even deydration....  but flipping them works too...

labor of love.

best of luck!

I've also slid a regular meat thermometer probe in the door airway outlets for fun
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 10:40:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Bit late, but I have a 9 tray Excalibur I got from Amazon probably 6-8 years ago.  Was using it irregularly for both jerky and fruits, last two years I use it mostly for fruits/herbs.

For the past week, I've let it sit at most a day between uses.  Mostly depends on how fast herbs grow.  Otherwise it's once a week or so for stuff like onions, apples, bananas, pears, etc.

My wife has more than once asked about getting a second one, as we frequently pull one load to put in another.  I'd almost prefer two smaller ones to the one big one now just for that reason.  I don't like the effort of filling up the entire thing, and mostly do 5 trays or less.  The height can be good though for some herbs, as I'll just pile them up and run it extra long.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 11:40:16 AM EDT
[#20]
@haveTwo how are you storing herbs and other stuff after dehydrating?  I never though about doing herbs, but that makes a ton of sense.  Our basil and dill usually grows like crazy.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 2:49:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
@haveTwo how are you storing herbs and other stuff after dehydrating?  I never though about doing herbs, but that makes a ton of sense.  Our basil and dill usually grows like crazy.
View Quote

In a lot of mason jars with plastic storage lids, and silicone rings added to the lids.  I toss in moisture absorbing packs.  You can get some small (5g?) packs in bulk on Amazon pretty cheap.

We have way to much stuff like parsley and basil, so mail out bags to family regularly.  I find it worthwhile with fruits as well, as I'm much more likely to eat the dried variant that doesn't mind getting shoved into a pack and rattling around on the bike.  Easy quick snack at all kinds of time.  And home dried herbs are freaking great!  I would never cook with them, but I'll happily pick, dry, and eat!

Most of our basil goes into pesto.  My wife will make the pesto sauce without cheese, and freeze it in ice cube trays.  Vacuum seal 2 cubes per, and I use it for lunches if I'm home.  She started doing that one summer I was gone, as she wasn't sure what to do with it, and she'd already shipped me a good amount for a taste of home.  She doesn't like it, only wants it fresh, but it tastes perfectly fine for me, and it's an easy meal for me to make.

::EDIT:: We are close to having to go through a spare closet because apparently I'm stuffing too many mason jars into a particular cupboard she'd really like to keep using for silly things like the plates.  

::EDIT#2:: Wide mouth is the way to go, and label maker for those with messy handwriting.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 2:33:15 PM EDT
[#22]
My wife has been using ours every day!

Fruits, vegetables and our first batch of chicken are in there right now.

The dehydrating has been going fine, but there is an irritating rattle. I haven't had time to disassemble, but I'm sure there's just a loose screw in the fan area. Mildly disappointing,  as "quiet" was a selling point.

13 of us are going to Alaska next month, so she's trying to slam a bunch of fruit through for the trip. Of the fruits (grapes, citrus, black berry, blue berry, and apples), apples are by far the easiest.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 4:30:56 PM EDT
[#23]
it may be the handle or an empty tray
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 1:17:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
My wife has been using ours every day!

Fruits, vegetables and our first batch of chicken are in there right now.

The dehydrating has been going fine, but there is an irritating rattle. I haven't had time to disassemble, but I'm sure there's just a loose screw in the fan area. Mildly disappointing,  as "quiet" was a selling point.

13 of us are going to Alaska next month, so she's trying to slam a bunch of fruit through for the trip. Of the fruits (grapes, citrus, black berry, blue berry, and apples), apples are by far the easiest.
View Quote

On a related note, I'm about to have to figure out how to sharpen my apple corer/peeler.  I will be doing a lot more pears in the future.

I passed by a butcher the other day, and came home with a couple pounds of peeled round to try jerky again, and between it, onions, and bananas, I'm already behind on harvesting several herbs again.  Maybe I do need multiple dryers like my wife joked.  It's pretty humid here (South Texas) so I had to up my times for everything a decent amount.  Stuff that was more like 12 hours in NM I now usually just run 24 hours to be certain.

I really think if I were to re-do it, I'd do two smaller dehydrators.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 4:52:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

On a related note, I'm about to have to figure out how to sharpen my apple corer/peeler.  I will be doing a lot more pears in the future.

I passed by a butcher the other day, and came home with a couple pounds of peeled round to try jerky again, and between it, onions, and bananas, I'm already behind on harvesting several herbs again.  Maybe I do need multiple dryers like my wife joked.  It's pretty humid here (South Texas) so I had to up my times for everything a decent amount.  Stuff that was more like 12 hours in NM I now usually just run 24 hours to be certain.

I really think if I were to re-do it, I'd do two smaller dehydrators.
View Quote

I'd buy her a second in a heart beat! She never thought I was a weirdo over the prepping I've been doing over the last 15 years,  but her eyes are truly open now. Hell,  she recently stated...."I think you should get a thermal scope*. "I think we should get a more capable dog". "We should build out one of those shed type cabins for the ranch".

"Why yes sweetheart! Yes we should".

I've become much more free with the wallet with the money machine going brrr.  Our dollar will simply not hold up, so I'm locking down a lot of things while it still has buying power.

Eta...she came home with 25lbs of carrots this morning and wants me to take her to some farmers markets this weekend.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 5:11:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

If you dehydrate it, then vacuum pack it with a REAL machine (chamber machine, not a foodsaver) in a retort-style foil pouch, the shelf life should be basically inifinite.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 10:10:51 AM EDT
[#27]
Should anyone care, I discovered that the rattle I described above was due to the racks themselved.

We did 12 pounds of ground beef yesterday, and it was quiet all day. I don't think the fruits and veggies had sufficient weight to prevent some vibration.

The unit is gtg.

Today is broccoli and cauliflower day.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 10:41:33 AM EDT
[#28]
Thanks for the update.  Good to know.

I'm glad you're enjoying the machine.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 11:33:05 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

My girl has been on a tear. Coming home to new smells every day!
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 2:36:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have you done garlic yet?  My nose isn't very sensitive, but I've been reliably informed that's one of the more... noticeable odors.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 3:07:39 PM EDT
[#31]
put a layer of tinfoil on the bottom for easy clean up.

Link Posted: 5/6/2021 3:15:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
put a layer of tinfoil on the bottom for easy clean up.

View Quote

All the beef was with parchment paper and the ground had bread folded in. So far so good!
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 3:16:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Have you done garlic yet?  My nose isn't very sensitive, but I've been reliably informed that's one of the more... noticeable odors.
View Quote

Noted! Haven't studied the garlic routine yet. Does garlic have any oils that make it unsuitable for realll long term?
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 7:15:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Noted! Haven't studied the garlic routine yet. Does garlic have any oils that make it unsuitable for realll long term?
View Quote

Don't remember what I did last time I did cloves; don't think I had to pierce it like peppers, just low and slow.

The last batch of garlic cloves is still clinking around in a mason jar, must be from two springs ago, as I was gone last spring/summer.  No adverse effects, though I guess it could have lost some potency.  However home grown stuff always seems more potent than store bought.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 7:26:51 AM EDT
[#35]
Wife chopped up the garlic we harvested a couple days ago.  Either whole cloves or chopped, the big thing is make sure they are fully dried, and if there's a preference for size when used.  Smaller pieces dry faster. I use 125 degrees for a day.  But I over-dry everything to make sure it'll keep.

Other than that, any interest in what I've done to make herbs dry/store easier?
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 8:19:18 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Wife chopped up the garlic we harvested a couple days ago.  Either whole cloves or chopped, the big thing is make sure they are fully dried, and if there's a preference for size when used.  Smaller pieces dry faster. I use 125 degrees for a day.  But I over-dry everything to make sure it'll keep.

View Quote

We put everything in mason jars and check for condensation after a week. So far so good.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 12:26:54 PM EDT
[#37]
This weekend.... the corn addition!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 9:54:44 AM EDT
[#38]
Time for blueberries.  I'm going to buy another dehydrator.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 7:19:59 PM EDT
[#39]
They really should make me a product tester. Virtually 24/7 since I received it.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/25/2021 12:58:36 PM EDT
[#40]
We spent a week with a rental tractor doing some big chores, now our herbs are out of control again.  I can now say I got myself more time in the dryer.  Thyme, time, whatever.

Also did a round of jam, that was a quick easy way to figure out I need a taller pot for anything other than those small jam jars.
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 2:50:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I have A Nesco 75A 600W dehydrator for about six years now.  I probably only use it three times a year for Jerky but it also works great for drying wet tumbled brass

It is very simple and I have no complaints with it.  I did buy a couple of additional trays to use with it for larger batches.  It's the only unit I have experience with.
View Quote

I've been running similar nesco models for at least 15 years for dried fruit and meats with absolutely no problems.  Additional trays are a must have, but with the nesco and excaliber models these are cheap and easier to find than some "commercial" models (real commercial tend to be easy, but $$$).

Also good for reviving dunked cell phones (power down completely, dry outside as much as possible, set dehydrator to lowest temperature possible, and let it dry out for a few days) and recharging silica for the safe, dry boxes, filament, etc.
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 5:23:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Attachment Attached File

I had a mylar day on Saturday to free up all the dang jars.

Still working through the produce in the pic above in my previous post. I like the machine, but it isn't capable of working through mass in short order.

That 2nd unit has been "out for delivery" for a long time.

Our only misstep so far was the potatoes.  While the jars didn't show any condensation, a close inspection on packing day revealed a bit of mold. Also
Need to slice in smaller pieces. There is way too much air in the mylar bag for the absorbers to work through.

We will get to herbs, but our garden is pretty modest.
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 9:39:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Bump for an interesting thread on page 3
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 4:37:55 PM EDT
[#44]
A bump for carrots. Working through 20lbs. Its been a bit quiet because we don't have much seasonal stuff for bulk. My wife is doing a trial run of 23 different varieties of perennial stuff, but its extremely small scale.

If I could ever get to building my new homestead, we'll be in business.

Anyone been firing up their dehydrator?

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 4:43:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

I think we have enough to make a run at herbs @haveTwo . What tips do you have?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top