Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/26/2018 3:45:43 PM EDT
I was never passionate about turkey hunting growing up. I did a few hunts in my teens and was kinda meh about it. The handful of birds I taken over the years were simply a product of opportunity with a bow or rifle.

I have 2 children and 6 nephews between 4 & 12 years old. This year I had talented friends guide the 2 older ones on our ranch.

With so many coming of hunting age, I have resolved to work on the craft this year and taking a stab at it in 2019.

I am primarily interested in advice on calls and perhaps a channel or 2 on techniques. We are covered in birds and they are quite vocal in Spring, so it shouldn't be too daunting.

I don't tolerate reeds well. I want a slate setup, a box, and something that makes a good gobble. Naturally, I'm open to any suggestions you may have.

I'm good on blinds, firearms, apparel, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Keib
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 10:26:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I think firearm would be nice choice for turkey hunting. Because one of my friends is trying to hunt turkey by using firearm.
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 7:32:09 AM EDT
[#2]
I use a Zink slate which I am very happy with but if I ever have to replace it I will get a Kaiser - they are works of art.
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 8:43:22 AM EDT
[#3]
For a slate call, this is all you need. Primos Ol Betsy. I have tried a handful of slate calls and this one stays in my vest.

I don't use box calls or gobbler calls. Never had luck with gobbler calls and just don't like the box calls.

I mostly use mouth calls unless I need to make really soft purrs or clucks. Can't seem to get a purr just right.
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 12:50:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks DB and UF.

I didn't get much attention with the thread so I just ordered a few things. I have a Knight & Hale dual slate pot.

I've got the slate working well, but still awful with the glass.

I'll work with it for a while before I throw real money at some nicer ones. I'll probably give the one I have to my son as he's enjoying learning too.
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 5:28:34 PM EDT
[#5]
My approach has been to use the mornings for still hunting and the late morning for stalking. Consider a blind for kids hunting, head to toe camo, something to sit on, decoys, locator calls like crow or barred owl, and whatever you’ll do with the bird once shot.

On the topic of decoys, I like inflatable hens. Foam tends to degrade once stored. Tom or even jake dekes could spook an otherwise curious male. A couple ladies however, work fine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top