Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/19/2019 9:33:29 AM EDT
Just got a royal berkey water filter set up.

I don't even beleive what im tasting.

So supposedly this thing filters out almost everything. Lead, aluminum, zing, plutonium, viruses, liberal tears.. Etc.

I set this thing up and now I have my PUR filter next to it to taste test back and forth. The berkey wins. I feel like the pur leaves a light chemical film in my mouth. I liked the pur and would never drink water from the tap.

To compare, the tap water straight out of the faucet smells like chlorine. Out of the pur this smell is greatly reduced but still present. Out of the berkey, there is no smell and no taste.

The berkey was layered in a thin cloth to prevent dust and contaminents out of the box. The lid has a surgical hairnet thing on it as well. They took great care to ensure it was dust free. Really cleanly packaged.

I was ok with the purchase as I knew the wife wanted clean water and if it was useful during hurricanes and SHTF then its a good thing to have around. I just can't beleive the water tastes so clear.

Anyone have a berkey?
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 9:56:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 10:13:39 AM EDT
[#2]
I haven't noticed a difference over my RO filter.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 10:27:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Had a berkey for 10 years.  Love it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 11:46:00 AM EDT
[#4]
I catch rain water off my roof. Is it safe to drink rain water filtered thru these?
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 11:57:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I catch rain water off my roof. Is it safe to drink rain water filtered thru these?
View Quote
One of the interesting things is that RV'ers often noted on YouTube that they fill up a bucket from streams and dump it in the top chamber of the berkey.

So i would assume so. Just have to be careful as if you spill water down the side it would seep into the lower compartment along the edge of the berkey. Its two parts a top and bottom half.

Another thing was that some people will take two 5 gallon buckets and will drill a hole through the top bucket and the lid of another bucket... And then they install the Berkey filters. The top bucket drips down into the bottom bucket through the filters.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 12:10:41 PM EDT
[#6]
We have one. After drinking that water exclusively for 2 years now, I dread drinking tap water or any water that did not come from it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 1:31:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 1:34:42 PM EDT
[#8]
oops, double post
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 1:39:20 PM EDT
[#9]
I've had my Big Berkey since August.

My daughter and son both bought Berkeys for their homes shortly after that.

I forgot to take my Berkey water to work the other day and had to fill my glass out of the Culligan 5 gallon water bottle at work.

I was shocked at how the water tasted like plastic.  I never noticed all the years I was drinking it before the Big Berkey!
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 2:22:31 PM EDT
[#10]
I bought the knock off version from Saint Paul Mercantile. Using the AquaCerra filters. Wait until a couple months when you need to clean your filters; you will never look at tap water the same. Better water, better value in the long run, more versatile than most other options.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 3:07:08 PM EDT
[#11]
I stayed with some missionaries in Africa who used a Berkey every day for their dubious shallow well water.  Water tasted fine, and more importantly, I didn't die.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 4:22:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
The only thing I would be concerned about is if your roof has been treated with some sort of anti growth chemical to kill moss.

We got a Berkey about 8 months ago.  We love it.  I noticed right away after drinking a cup of water it still looks clean.  Only down side is we should have gotten a bigger one, might need two.  I usually fill ours up right before bed and throw a gallon or two in as soon as I get up just to keep the fluids filtering but I don't have to hand pump it so it's worth it
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 6:49:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The only thing I would be concerned about is if your roof has been treated with some sort of anti growth chemical to kill moss.
View Quote
Its collected off a metal roof.

My well water sucks, has sulfuric gas in it. I have a system to remove the sulfuric gas and a UV light. The well water will kill a coffee maker in a mater of weeks. Im tired of buying gallons of water.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 7:04:45 PM EDT
[#14]
15 yrs. Still using the same coffee pot, nil lime build up.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 7:09:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

We got a Berkey about 8 months ago.  We love it.  I noticed right away after drinking a cup of water it still looks clean.  Only down side is we should have gotten a bigger one, might need two.  I usually fill ours up right before bed and throw a gallon or two in as soon as I get up just to keep the fluids filtering but I don't have to hand pump it so it's worth it
View Quote
Easy  water in,water out..
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 9:04:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Been using the Big Berkey for about 5 years.  Used to buy a case of bottled water every week for the wife who drinks lots of water.  I never cared for the bottled water myself and would find something else to drink.

But after we got the Berkey, I, too, drink lots of water now.  And I save a ton of money over the bottled water.

ETA:  I actually like the taste of water now that it doesn’t have all that crap in it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 11:15:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Had a Berkey for years, love mine.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 11:22:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

My well water sucks, has sulfuric gas in it. I have a system to remove the sulfuric gas and a UV light. The well water will kill a coffee maker in a mater of weeks. Im tired of buying gallons of water.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bought one when I moved into my current place because of the sulfur in the well water. Works great. Replace the filters every couple years when the hard water finally gums them up too much.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 4:36:17 AM EDT
[#19]
I keep one in my camper.  I have literally put lake water through it and it comes out tasting better than anything that ever came out of any tap.  This is a great piece of gear.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 11:33:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Imperial model here.

It was spendy-no doubt about it.  Got it with a tax refund one year.  But I was prepared for that and it's been a good purchase.  Well worth it.

We use the fire outta this thing.  Use it for coffee, cooking, drinking.   We drink a ton of water from this thing.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 7:48:42 PM EDT
[#21]
We had a Big Berkey, and they are great. We even had the add-on PF-2 arsenic and fluoride filters. But then our city went to chloramine water treatment, and the Berkeys don’t filter chloramine at all.

For several years since then we use an RO system I put together: dual 10” catalytic carbon filters do the trick.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 7:58:33 PM EDT
[#22]
We've had a Berkey for a long time. It's great.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 8:56:25 PM EDT
[#23]
This thread has inspired me to finally open up the Berkey I bought a few years ago.

I followed the directions and primed the filters and whatnot. I’ve had it set up for about a day now and only maybe half a gallon of water has come through. Is that normal? It drips consistently but it drips at a very slow rate. Still waiting to have a few gallons run through so I can finally make a good batch of water to try.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 10:14:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
This thread has inspired me to finally open up the Berkey I bought a few years ago.

I followed the directions and primed the filters and whatnot. I’ve had it set up for about a day now and only maybe half a gallon of water has come through. Is that normal? It drips consistently but it drips at a very slow rate. Still waiting to have a few gallons run through so I can finally make a good batch of water to try.
View Quote
Doesn’t sound like you got a good prime. Is the top filled completely? The less water in the top the slower it filters.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 10:18:19 PM EDT
[#25]
I've emailed berky several time and never gotten a reply. I've asked will it filter out pesticides and petroleum tainted water? There is water everywhere here I'm FL but none of it is untouched from roadway or lawn run off.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 7:38:07 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I've emailed berky several time and never gotten a reply. I've asked will it filter out pesticides and petroleum tainted water? There is water everywhere here I'm FL but none of it is untouched from roadway or lawn run off.
View Quote
From their FAQ.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 9:24:53 AM EDT
[#27]
Thanks, I had not found that info on the site previously
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 10:36:07 AM EDT
[#28]
Link to a source for the Big Berkey filter system?
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 12:56:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Doesn’t sound like you got a good prime. Is the top filled completely? The less water in the top the slower it filters.
View Quote
You’ve solved the mystery, much thanks! All I needed to do was add more water to the top chamber.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 4:37:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Ive been wanting to pick a Berkey filter for a fews years. Well, thanks to this thread I came off my wallet and bought a Royal model today.

I like the idea of nice fresh H2O. But in case of ZPoc, SHTF, or an issue like that which hit Toledo Oh or Flint MI a few years ago, I like having the piece of mind of having a quality filtration system, to go along with my 250G water reserve.

Back in 2014, a chemical spill in West Virginia contaminated the Ohio River. The intake valves for the Cincinnati area water treatment were closed for a day to allow the contaminated water to pass. I recall the news stating that was a 3 day water reserve for the area. That didn't seem like a lot to me, and would probably only be half that, if people started hoarding water from the reserves.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 5:08:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Link to a source for the Big Berkey filter system?
View Quote
I ordered off amazon.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 5:25:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Interested in these. I am really looking for a way to make salt water pool a emergency drinking water source. Having a 38K gallon water source and not being able to drink it is a bad plan.

Any ideas guys? What I am reading is distilled is the only way. So I am not sure.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 8:19:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Interested in these. I am really looking for a way to make salt water pool a emergency drinking water source. Having a 38K gallon water source and not being able to drink it is a bad plan.

Any ideas guys? What I am reading is distilled is the only way. So I am not sure.
View Quote
I have often thought the same with our chlorine pool. 20,000 gallons is a nice holding tank.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 8:34:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I have often thought the same with our chlorine pool. 20,000 gallons is a nice holding tank.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

even with all the piss you have know is in there? I grew up with an in ground pool......I almost always had to shock the pool after a big party because everything was out of wack, especially if there was a collection of kids swimming.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 8:37:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
Cover with hoop house and 6mm plastic, fashion a gutter inside and wait?
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 8:43:21 PM EDT
[#36]
I went with 2 food grade buckets and rolled my own Berkey system.

Couldn't justify north of $100 just for buckets.

Good filter.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 1:57:36 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I went with 2 food grade buckets and rolled my own Berkey system.

Couldn't justify north of $100 just for buckets.

Good filter.
View Quote
That's what I did too except I bought the Doulton filters off of Amazon. My setup has run at least 5 gallons everyday for the last three years. It was slow, in my opinion, with just two filters.  It took all night to run 5 gallons.  Last year I added two more filters for a total of four filters and it will run 5 gallons in about 4 hours.

Attachment Attached File

And this pic is from when it had just the two filters.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 2:54:35 AM EDT
[#38]
Independent lab test results have shown the ZeroWater filters are as good as the Berkeys, but cheaper. When I looked years ago, there were 2 main tests I found. Both filters did very well, with 1 doing fractionally better on some elements,  and the other fractionally better at others.

I'm also not a fan of the Berkey filter design, where the filter efficiency decreases as the water level in the upper tank decreases. YMMV.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 9:12:46 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Independent lab test results have shown the ZeroWater filters are as good as the Berkeys, but cheaper. When I looked years ago, there were 2 main tests I found. Both filters did very well, with 1 doing fractionally better on some elements,  and the other fractionally better at others.

I'm also not a fan of the Berkey filter design, where the filter efficiency decreases as the water level in the upper tank decreases. YMMV.
View Quote
How many gallons is the zero water good for? Can it be cleaned?

We tried one of their pitchers. Clogged the filter after 2 gallons from iron in our well water. Most expensive water I've ever drank.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 2:11:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

We tried one of their pitchers. Clogged the filter after 2 gallons from iron in our well water. Most expensive water I've ever drank.
View Quote
In my particular case, with city water, I get about 3 months out of each filter before needing replacement (AFAIK, they can't be cleaned).

They do mention that with high TDS, the filter life will be shorter. Have you ever used a TDS meter on the well water? I'm curious to know how high it needs to be, to clog the filter in 2 gallons.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 2:26:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
Salt water? Look into Reverse Osmosis, Distillers, or a desalinator (the desalinators like the type used on seagoing vessels for drinking water on long trips are $XXXX).

If I lived on the coast, or anywhere with a large supply of saltwater, I'd definitely have one for emergency water supply.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 2:46:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
In my particular case, with city water, I get about 3 months out of each filter before needing replacement (AFAIK, they can't be cleaned).

They do mention that with high TDS, the filter life will be shorter. Have you ever used a TDS meter on the well water? I'm curious to know how high it needs to be, to clog the filter in 2 gallons.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is so much iron in our water I've often joked that I should start hauling it in for prepared scrap metal, to give you an idea . When I fill the top 5 gallon bucket on my filter, once the iron oxidizes, you can't see the bottom of the bucket.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 3:47:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
There is so much iron in our water I've often joked that I should start hauling it in for prepared scrap metal, to give you an idea . When I fill the top 5 gallon bucket on my filter, once the iron oxidizes, you can't see the bottom of the bucket.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yikes.

A pre filter might help extend the life of any filtration system you're using (including the Berkey). Maybe something like a disposable coffee filter setup? I know you can clean the Berkey filters, but dang...
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 3:56:43 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Yikes.

A pre filter might help extend the life of any filtration system you're using (including the Berkey). Maybe something like a disposable coffee filter setup? I know you can clean the Berkey filters, but dang...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yikes.

I clean the Berkey filters every couple weeks.

When I get spunky, I'm going to get some milk socks to put over the filters. The rust is super easy to filter out once it oxidizes.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 9:56:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

even with all the piss you have know is in there? I grew up with an in ground pool......I almost always had to shock the pool after a big party because everything was out of wack, especially if there was a collection of kids swimming.
View Quote
All water has been pee at one point or another........
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 1:49:36 AM EDT
[#46]
I used mine when I was in San Francisco.  Water tasted very good after it went through the filters.

BTW, I saw the poor man's version made with plastic 5 gallon buckets.  Same Berkey filters.

Today I buy reverse osmosis water for a quarter a gallon. Still have the Berkey as a reserve.
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 11:36:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
You’ve solved the mystery, much thanks! All I needed to do was add more water to the top chamber.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You should always fill to the top of the filters.  Just dumping in a gallon every so often will dry out the top of the filters making the top part ineffective, basically just using half your filter.

This site gives you answers to all your questions
Link Posted: 1/26/2019 1:20:35 AM EDT
[#48]
Should clean up pretty any and all fresh water you put into it. Of course it can't remove salt so no ocean water. The cleaner the incoming water the longer it will last with out cleaning but if needed you can scoop water of the town dump and use it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2019 10:36:27 AM EDT
[#49]
How does the Katadyn Gravidyn compare to the Berkeys?  I have a couple of Katadyn Combis for our packs, but would like something for home use as we occasionally get water main breaks and issues.  The Gravidyn replacement filters are also cheaper than Berkeys.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 12:05:28 AM EDT
[#50]
I bought a royal Berkey as a SHTF/earthquake prep. I haven't used in 10 years, but I like the piece of mind. Got a small katadyn as well. I live on well water and have a natural spring on the property.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top