Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/12/2022 1:43:32 AM EDT
Kind of a silly thing, I wish I could say I was drunk shopping but I wasn't.

For some reason I've had this fascination with those little grapple hooks by countycomm and a few other makers. I couldn't justify the price for such a thing but on a whim I searched Amazon.

For the low price of 15 bucks (a little less, I used my points) I got the "ZHIKE Survival Tool Grizzly Gravity Grappling Hook Climbing Tail with Stainless Steel Claw."

I was actually wanting something smaller but figured this one would be so cheaply made it wouldn't have the weight to work.  I was surprised that it's actually well made and has quite a bit of heft.

What it actually is, is a "retrieval tool" that has hinged hooks that close over a item when you drop it on the item.

It has an extra piece that attaches that turns it into an actual grappling hook. The YouTube videos actually show people using it to climb!!

My main motivation was just to be able to retrieve things out of reach, little things like keys, or the gloves I continuously drop when I'm sitting in a deer stand. I've dropped so many things making myself comfortable in a deer stand, I could have really used this.

I still like the tiny ones that store the little spikes in a capsule but I've been having fun picking things off the floor.

Anyway, sometimes it's fun just to find something silly to play with. I lead a boring life.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 3:28:16 AM EDT
[#1]
What, no video?
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 4:59:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Amazon link

this one? Looks interesting. No way I would climb with it, but could be useful retrieving things.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 6:26:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What, no video?
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/12/2022 7:02:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 11:18:31 AM EDT
[#5]
I've got one that I welded up to pull dead branches out of trees. Never used it, but it looks cool.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 11:31:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Amazon link

this one? Looks interesting. No way I would climb with it, but could be useful retrieving things.
View Quote
That's the one. I would be unable to climb it even if I wanted to.

There were times blowing off the roof I could have used something like that.

Anyway, I was expecting a cheap piece of pot metal but I actually think it's stainless steel like they said.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 12:29:27 PM EDT
[#7]
In different parts of Alaska natives made retrieval hooks to recover game.

Now a days they make them out of wood and nails.

Which reminds me I need to make one.

Link Posted: 4/12/2022 1:37:40 PM EDT
[#8]
PLAY AS BATMAN!

Play as Batman! when disassembled the hook, it become the Batman's Batarang, go throw and fishing something!
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 3:12:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Dang it, now I want a thing!

Claw on short rope to hold kayak to limbs,etc

Never mind I already have a field improvised one, this one is COOL!
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 4:28:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 7:51:46 PM EDT
[#11]
I read the thread title and thought you bought one of these:

Link Posted: 4/12/2022 9:05:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I've got one that I welded up to pull dead branches out of trees. Never used it, but it looks cool.
View Quote

They’re even more useful to get shovels out of trees.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 9:17:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 11:48:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Must be a story behind that one.
View Quote

I'll bet it's a good one.
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 9:43:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Cool! Good to see you Mac. Haven’t seen you in a bit!

Have fun storming the castle with your grapnel hook!
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 10:31:11 AM EDT
[#16]
I want one of these for my can cannon!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top