Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2019 9:33:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DVCER]
Attachment Attached File

The bolt gun. It’s a 6.5CM set up for mid range with a 1x5.   The GG is my favorite but if I have to slip a round thru the aspens out to 200-300 the thing is laser accurate.

I’m going to pull that muzzle brake and try it at the range without.  That caliber is a pussycat and really shouldn’t need one.
I’ll be the guy in unit 500 with black tape thread protection.

Cow tag 2d rifle.
Link Posted: 10/1/2019 10:56:25 PM EDT
[#1]
replace it with a Smith Vortex so you save your night vision if you shoot in low light.
Link Posted: 10/1/2019 11:05:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Urimaginaryfrnd:
replace it with a Smith Vortex so you save your night vision if you shoot in low light.
View Quote
I’m hunting elk not taliban.  If it is legal light that scope works fine.
Link Posted: 10/1/2019 11:09:03 PM EDT
[#3]
The 6.5 will impress you. I have killed one deer and seen another killed with it. Penetration has been excellent.

Best of luck to you!
Link Posted: 10/1/2019 11:14:20 PM EDT
[#4]
It is really easy to shoot well. 270 rounds so far this summer.   I’ve flattened out a few elk with a 308, hope to do the same with this.
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 4:50:00 AM EDT
[#5]
I have that same rifle, Ruger American Go Wild right? Topped mine with a Burris Fullfield E1 and it's a damn tack driver with Hornady 143 gr Precision Hunters. I'll also be chasing elk with it this year
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 9:24:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Yep, same rifle. Cheap and very accurate.  Good luck this year guys.

14 nights on the Mesa during archery was fun, but no meat again.
So close this year tho, called in the biggest bull I’ve ever seen up there to 20 yards but could not get a decent shot.  I should have taken the neck shot on him.  Came to full draw twice.    Saw a lot more elk too on the trip.  Really my best year ever archery, even with tag soup.  Learned a lot.
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 1:13:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By DVCER:
Yep, same rifle. Cheap and very accurate.  Good luck this year guys.

14 nights on the Mesa during archery was fun, but no meat again.
So close this year tho, called in the biggest bull I’ve ever seen up there to 20 yards but could not get a decent shot.  I should have taken the neck shot on him.  Came to full draw twice.    Saw a lot more elk too on the trip.  Really my best year ever archery, even with tag soup.  Learned a lot.
View Quote
I'll be running around The Mesa 1st and 2nd season
Link Posted: 10/3/2019 8:51:13 PM EDT
[#8]
I’ll be in 77/78 for mule deer and bear 2nd season with a Barrett Fieldcraft in 6.5 this year. I’m shooting 147gr ELDs this time around.

Love the 6.5, killed a handful of deer with it last year. Looking at getting a 6.5 PRC before I draw a 1st season elk tag in a couple of years.
Link Posted: 10/4/2019 12:38:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Good luck
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 10:49:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Nice to see someone using a a reasonable power scope. Doing 54-55 3rd season.  On the fence on what I’m taking.  Right now my 416 with a 1-4x scope is in the lead.
Link Posted: 10/15/2019 11:22:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DVCER] [#11]
Originally Posted By Bigtwinlvr:
Nice to see someone using a a reasonable power scope. Doing 54-55 3rd season.  On the fence on what I’m taking.  Right now my 416 with a 1-4x scope is in the lead.
View Quote
These elk are pretty big, and I’m no cross canyon shooter.  The low power glass is good for me.
Good luck to you!

And I shot another 40 rounds without the brake, still a laser.  I taped up the threads till I get a proper thread protector.
Link Posted: 10/15/2019 11:51:36 PM EDT
[#12]
These elk are pretty big, and I’m no cross canyon shooter.  The low power glass is good for me.
Good luck to you!

And I shot another 40 rounds without the brake, still a laser.  I taped up the threads till I get a proper thread protector.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Bigtwinlvr:
Good luck to you!

I have a cross canyon cannon that wears a 4.5-14x variable objective, 300rum.  Doubt I’ll take her as I’ll be most likely dealing with dark timber and moderate ranges.  Other blaster I may take is a 338win.  It has a 3-9, almost rather have a step lower magnification for hunting on it though.  The kid I’m taking with me, I showed him a side by side comparison of fields of view, my 1-4x vs the others.  He quickly figured out what you and I are talking about with these lower power scopes
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 5:25:23 PM EDT
[#13]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Urimaginaryfrnd:

I think you misunderstood. the Smith Vortex is a flash hider not a scope.
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 4:52:38 PM EDT
[#14]
I'd leave the brake on. Sure, the CM doesn't have much recoil, but being able to stay on target and spot your hit rocks. You should be wearing hearing protection anyway.
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 7:15:48 PM EDT
[#15]
I struck out last year on that elk hunt.  My bad for not updating.

I did see more elk than ever, kept turning down shots on yearling cows.  Thought for sure I would get a mature cow, lol.  

Last year
Attachment Attached File

This year I have a late season cow tag for near the Utah border, December/January.   And I still want to see if the 6.5 will do it.  I put the brake back on, it really is a soft shooter with it.

But I also did a thing.  I have a 300WM that has flattened out a couple elk, but I never really shot it enough to have full confidence.
That thing would smack you hard.   So I had it threaded and braked this summer.  Huge difference.    Recent range trip, 45 rounds.
I could have never done that without the brake.   This thing seriously works.   Local shop makes them, Heritage arms.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/28/2020 8:51:50 AM EDT
[#16]
That's got to be obnoxious.

Heritage makes some neat stuff.

Link Posted: 11/28/2020 12:22:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DVCER] [#17]
I was expecting a huge increase in blast, but behind the gun I didn’t notice it.  And under cover there too.    Foam ear plugs under muffs are my “cancel culture”.   I bet it was nasty off to the side.   That brake turned that gun around as a shooter.   I might get another 300 mag, a really light one.

Not big game, but heritage arms is putting their CNC mill to good use.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 2:31:56 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm curious - NW or SW part of state?

How much snow is in NW CO right now?

I want, one day, to go back to the Yampa river and hunt 3rd or 4th rifle season for deer. But I'm a bit intimidated to go when there could be snow, as off-road travel gets tricky when it snows.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 11:51:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Grand jct is where I’m at. Unit 500 is where I hunted.

Tomorrow, I hunt unit 30 on a late season cow tag.  There will be snow.
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 9:59:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3BP] [#20]
I hunted the first rifle season not far from you OP.  You gave me some advice months ago that paid off in spades.......

Chapstick!  I was the only one that brought any and probably could have sold each stick for $50.00 by day three

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 10:05:18 AM EDT
[#21]
How does the skirt fit?

Sorry, you kind of earned that switching to 6.5 Creedmoor!
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 1:32:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DVCER] [#22]
Been up twice, got the SxS stuck in some drifts.  EZ outs, so not really stuck.  Elk have been elusive but I will connect.  

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

This is 300wm country, so that’s what I’m using here.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 1:49:58 PM EDT
[#23]
That's pretty country. I hope you connect soon.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 5:11:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Moved in for a few.  Beautiful place.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 12:52:49 AM EDT
[#25]
Good luck!  I took a new rifle out this year, a Vanguard in .300 Wby., and it worked like a dream

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/8/2021 1:30:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Warhawk] [#26]
I’ve got one of those in 308, mounted one of the Burris 1.5-6x Four X Euro scopes from camera land on it.  It’s got a rough zero on it, I need to work with it some more.  I wish Ruger shipped them with a thread protector, I’m not a fan of noisy brakes.  But I like the scope well enough that I ordered a second one, it may end up on my 350 Legend AR.
Link Posted: 3/22/2021 10:38:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By SpeyRod:
The 6.5 will impress you. I have killed one deer and seen another killed with it. Penetration has been excellent.

Best of luck to you!
View Quote

6.5 creed shooting 143 eldx, took a mule deer at 347 full penetration. surprised me, i thought it would have got caught on the far side hide but nope. dead in his tracks. not a monster but i feel much more confident that i can take an elk within 500 now.
Link Posted: 8/16/2021 12:20:00 AM EDT
[#28]

Nice spot!

We're semi-neighbors;I live near Glenwood Springs.

Just picked up a new.elk rifle after feeling really under-gunned last year. Not expecting to get a chance for elk, when I ended up with a tag, I had a choice between my 15 lb PRS rifle in 6.5C, my 12 lb AR 10 in 6.5C, and my 8 pound AR in 458 SOCOM. I went with the SOCOM even though I knew it would limit.my range to 200Y or less, but at least it wasn't a back breaker. I only saw cows, so it ended up being a moot point. I did notice that every animal I saw (cow elk and a lot of mule deer) were across the little finger canyons ranging from 400 to 700 yards.

So I picked up a Browning X-Bolt Hell's Canyon in 300 Win Mag ia few weeks ago n order to have a platform with better legs. Compared to my 6.5 Cs, it really is a thumper, especially with the.muzzle brake off!

Good luck this year!
Link Posted: 8/16/2021 9:04:50 AM EDT
[#29]
No arguing with a .300, that is an ideal elk caliber, if you can deal with the recoil.   My brake made a huge difference on my .300.
Link Posted: 8/19/2021 1:01:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By 3BP:
I hunted the first rifle season not far from you OP.  You gave me some advice months ago that paid off in spades.......

Chapstick!  I was the only one that brought any and probably could have sold each stick for $50.00 by day three

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!
View Quote
We just use butter,seal oil or crisco in lew of chapstick.
Link Posted: 8/19/2021 1:43:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By akcaribouhunter:
We just use butter,seal oil or crisco in lew of chapstick.
View Quote

Well the chapstick fits in my pocket better lol.

I’m gearing up for archery elk, gonna be a good time.
The elk thought they were safe behind an impenetrable shield of oak brush.

Attachment Attached File

Ha!
Three days cutting a path to paradise.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/5/2021 11:18:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Going up to unit 23 again this year.  Going to do a lil different approach this time around.  Will see if it pays off
Link Posted: 10/5/2021 11:26:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Archery season was awesome but no meat.

I will endeavor to persevere, 2nd rifle/cow tag unit 30.  Might just blood up the 6.5CM yet.  Good luck all.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top