Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/10/2024 8:36:47 AM EDT
https://ipvm.com/reports/hytera-ordered-to-stop-selling-two-way-radio-technology-worldwide

Daaaaamn! What a disaster for them and their customers. I always liked their product line and their price point.

TLDR:

On April 2, 2024, a US federal judge found Hytera in contempt over a case it filed in Shenzhen court seeking a judgement that it did not violate Motorola's intellectual property, an attempt to re-litigate the $630 million US verdict that Hytera stole Motorola's intellectual property

...This includes an injunction banning Hytera worldwide from selling, importing, or distributing - or even offering to do so - worldwide

...This applies to "Two-Way Radio" technology, which the Court defines as a broad range of products including base stations and cellular products

...In addition to the worldwide sales ban, Hytera must pay $1 million USD for every day "until Hytera is in full compliance."
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 10:44:28 AM EDT
[#1]
How did Hytera get hit for essential stealing a open standard DMR technology? I read they hired ex-moto employees, but people need to make their living when they separate from a company and work in their field.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 11:21:21 AM EDT
[#2]
How does the US Court System get to ban them from anything WORLDWIDE?

They can ban them from sale in the US.  Other than that, WTF?
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 12:38:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, all Chinese company's ALL steal technology. That's what they do, that's who they are.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 1:58:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: aa777888-2] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DarkLordVader:
How did Hytera get hit for essential stealing a open standard DMR technology? I read they hired ex-moto employees, but people need to make their living when they separate from a company and work in their field.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
It seems some of their employees were doing naughty things, perhaps because they were not smart enough to do it all from scratch. From a Moto press release:

As previously announced, the trade secret theft complaint, initially filed on March 14, 2017, asserted that Hytera’s two-way radios and repeaters are utilizing stolen Motorola Solutions trade secrets. The company amended its complaint on July 30, 2018, to include copyright infringement allegations, asserting that Hytera also unlawfully copied Motorola Solutions’ source code into the source code used in Hytera products in violation of U.S. copyright laws. The evidence presented at trial demonstrated that Hytera stole over 10,000 Motorola Solutions confidential documents, millions of lines of Motorola Solutions’ highly confidential source code and took steps to conceal its theft to avoid detection. Remarkably, after steadfastly denying any wrongdoing in the years prior to trial, Hytera admitted during trial that in fact it has those thousands of Motorola Solutions confidential documents in its possession and that even today some of its products still contain stolen Motorola Solutions source code.

Today’s decision relates to claims that are separate from Motorola Solutions’ patent infringement case against Hytera, which is pending in U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois and is expected to proceed to trial in late 2020 or early 2021. That case asserts that Hytera’s two-way radios, repeaters, and dispatch systems are infringing seven patents owned by Motorola Solutions, and that Hytera’s “redesigned” i-Series products are infringing at least four of those patents. These are U.S. Patent Nos. 6,591,111; 7,369,869; 7,729,701; 8,032,169; 8,116,284; 8,279,991; and 9,099,972. The U.S. International Trade Commission (ITC) previously ruled that Hytera’s two-way radios and repeaters infringe four of those patents and issued exclusion orders prohibiting the importation and sale of certain Hytera products in the U.S. Hytera did not appeal the ITC’s ruling.
Hytera swears they didn't know this was all going on
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 2:39:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Redneck_in_Texas:
How does the US Court System get to ban them from anything WORLDWIDE?

They can ban them from sale in the US.  Other than that, WTF?
View Quote

It may have to do with where their bank is located.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 3:02:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By K0UA:
Yeah, all Chinese company's ALL steal technology. That's what they do, that's who they are.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/10/2024 3:51:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Wonder when we'll see the announcement for the hot new, and totally unrelated, 2-way communication company, Tyhera!

Link Posted: 4/10/2024 4:22:42 PM EDT
[#8]
View Quote

I have first hand experience at this. Every company in china that I worked with stole the technology we were selling there. Too bad that everything that had a plc contained code that shut them down after a certain number of cycles if we weren't back there to maintain them. They just copied the code, and it happened to all their pirate equipment as well.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 9:29:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Shootindave] [#9]
Motorola is a monopoly that should be broken up.

Also; lol at all the threads about China stealing technology.

This of course begins, and ends, with the companies thinking they can save pennies having their components made in China……. And then cry like babies when the companies keep cranking out the tech once the contract is over.

Even happened to Rolex……. Of course they only quietly made a fuss, because they would have to admit they were having watch cases made in China on $10,000 watches.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 10:49:48 AM EDT
[#10]
A Chinese company stealing intellectual property???
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 11:03:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Shootindave:
Motorola is a monopoly that should be broken up.

View Quote

It's not a monopoly, but certainly remains the dominant player. Harris and JVCK are doing a good job of competing (and often winning), at least.

I'm just not sure where the logical lines of division would be. Mission-critical and professional/commercial? Maybe subscribers and infrastructure? It's hard to break up a narrowly-focused company that has already divested business lines.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 2:07:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Per Hytera (one of our sister companies is a large dealer), Chinese judge says "....... if Hytera cannot sell in US, then Moto cannot sell in China...." . So, we will see. TT
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 11:06:24 PM EDT
[#13]
View Quote
This. Just ask Stihl.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 10:40:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By sabocat:

It's not a monopoly, but certainly remains the dominant player. Harris and JVCK are doing a good job of competing (and often winning), at least.

I'm just not sure where the logical lines of division would be. Mission-critical and professional/commercial? Maybe subscribers and infrastructure? It's hard to break up a narrowly-focused company that has already divested business lines.
View Quote

Monopolies are defined as having 50 percent or more of a market. In the public safety arena, I'd say big M has more than that.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 9:09:26 AM EDT
[#15]
motorola/MSI is dying. LMR is also dying.

Hytera tried the fortune favors the bold, but then they got too reckless. Guess the other shoe fell.

Some of hytera's stuff is actually pretty good. Beat the snot out of Harris/MSI on pricing too, I think that was the actual unforgivable sin.

Wish they had made a multiband portable. Guess I need to go look... gonna be cheap now
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 9:30:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DarkLordVader] [#16]
Originally Posted By high_order1:
motorola/MSI is dying. LMR is also dying.
View Quote
Pretty much true for most radio outside of WIFI, cell and satellite.  HF was magic when you could talk to someone in the UK for free and telephones charged $2 per minute (probably $20 in today's money).  Most LMR towers I see out there are 20-30 years old on top of old trucking companies that are likely using cell phones now.  I think even public service radio days are numbered with the priority cell services that exist.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 11:42:31 AM EDT
[#17]
China’s typical R&D procedure for any new or emerging technology has always been gained through theft of intellectual property from others.

This is why China wants to invade Taiwan. Reunification has nothing to do with it.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 12:08:04 PM EDT
[#18]
snip     I think even public service radio days are numbered with the priority cell services that exist.  snip

I don't think so. Nothing is as quick to pass snippets of info as 2 way radio. Plus it is its own service that you can control and is not subject to "outages" like cell service. A police car talking direct to another police car is hard to beat.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 12:28:35 PM EDT
[#19]
snip     I think even public service radio days are numbered with the priority cell services that exist.  snip

I don't think so. Nothing is as quick to pass snippets of info as 2 way radio. Plus it is its own service that you can control and is not subject to "outages" like cell service. A police car talking direct to another police car is hard to beat.
View Quote
A cell phone is just an app on an IP network.  Point to point calling is just a one behavior.  Implementing multi-point and talkgroups in a more radio like package on an LTE/5G modem is just another app as well.  We will see.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 3:05:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Pretty much true for most radio outside of WIFI, cell and satellite.  HF was magic when you could talk to someone in the UK for free and telephones charged $2 per minute (probably $20 in today's money).  Most LMR towers I see out there are 20-30 years old on top of old trucking companies that are likely using cell phones now.  I think even public service radio days are numbered with the priority cell services that exist.
View Quote
Yup.
MSI's latest offering they are pushing is nothing more than a cellphone that they threw an antenna on to make queasy public safety guys feel like they are still carrying a radio.

There is a *lot* of public service being carried over cellular and other things now. RoIP. Our state, 90% are on the state system. Sure, there's some microwave backhaul, but a lot of that stuff is still going over some kind of phone circuit.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 1:41:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By high_order1:
Yup.
MSI's latest offering they are pushing is nothing more than a cellphone that they threw an antenna on to make queasy public safety guys feel like they are still carrying a radio.

There is a *lot* of public service being carried over cellular and other things now. RoIP. Our state, 90% are on the state system. Sure, there's some microwave backhaul, but a lot of that stuff is still going over some kind of phone circuit.
View Quote

It's still a brick shithouse of a radio (I've got two for demos right now). Even then, it's a radio first then a cellular device and though you can configure it to prioritize SmartConnect I don't know why you would do that nor do I know anyone who would. Even Motorola sent me my demo's with the Schaumburg Astro25 lab system with LMR as primary and SmartConnect as secondary. Looking at the next generation of Motorola portables though...only two of the four offer LTE.

I think a couple of my fire departments would be interested in the N70 because the LTE coverage in buildings that we currently struggle to have radio service in is adequate to fill the gap or even work with the owner to build a much lower cost 802.11 solutions to backhaul the radio traffic back the the core while still providing very good portable radio coverage in the neighboring counties that are running 800 MHz (we are all on the same system we just use different bands) since the higher population has resulted in 98% outdoor cellular coverage in those counties compared to our 65% cellular coverage. Doesn't make it as critical to have multi-band portables to provide mutual aid. At the same time however, they are already paying my department monthly per radio billing to be on the radio system...adding SmartConnect induces an annual per radio fee to Motorola versus a more expensive multi-band solution and only using the CAI (thus eliminating the reoccurring annual billing to Motorola). Did I mention the amount of money that was required to add the SmartConnect gateway to the core? Moto doesn't do that shit for free.

Then again, we are getting into the one of the core issues with both SmartConnect and BeON. They are proprietary to Motorola and Harris. SmartConnect can only gateway to a Motorola K/L/M core and BeON to a Harris VIDA core. It's going to take a lot of bitching and moaning from us system admins to force Motorola and Harris to tie their LTE gateways in via ISSI (which is a whole other goat rope on the Motorola side) so we can support multiple vendor's LTE protocols versus the current and total lack of interoperability there (so we remain on the P25 CAI for another 20 years until APCO gets this one sorted out). Guess I've ranted enough about my chief complaint with how Motorola and Harris have implemented LTE but it works I just don't really see it being as practical as my MR thinks it will be.

Man...I wish we were still using T-carriers for transport but availability has dwindled and with Windows patches going out over the network to the dozens of console positions bandwidth is a bit more of a concern and half our sites we couldn't get anything better than DSL and we are rural enough that I can say what's fiber so we rely almost exclusively on microwave. Now that MPLS is in use on the radio network we also now have the option to handle VPLS from providers natively.

Now back to the meat and potatoes of this...Hytera. I believe this mainly started out with IP using in XPT belonging to Motorola for Capacity Plus if I remember correctly. I don't think it actually had to do with Tier 2 IP that Motorola has licensed with the DMR Assn. There's a even more fun one to talk about the standards that don't really standardize much...DMR.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:17:11 AM EDT
[#22]
https://urgentcomm.com/2024/04/17/hytera-back-in-business-as-appeals-court-halts-sanctions-blocking-companys-two-way-radio-sales/

Hytera Communications returned to its full business on Tuesday afternoon, when a U.S. appeals court granted the LMR manufacturer’s request to stay federal district-court sanctions that prevented Hytera from selling two-way-radio products worldwide for more than a week.

Under the order, the 7th Circuit Court of Appeals granted Hytera Communications’ renewed emergency motion for a stay of three key contempt sanctions issued by U.S. District Court Judge Martha Pacold—the worldwide ban on two-way-radio sales by Hytera, further accumulation of the $1 million-per-day fine, and the worldwide notice requirement.

These sanctions are halted pending appeal, according to the appeals-court order. That proceeding will begin with Hytera Communications filing its opening brief within 28 days, followed by Motorola Solutions filing an opposing brief within 28 days later, according to the order.

Pacold issued the district court’s contempt sanctions after Hytera Communications participated in two days of proceedings before a China court—the Shenzhen Intermediate People’s Court—which Pacold deemed to be a violation of her anti-suit injunction issued on March 25.

In the case before the Shenzhen court, Hytera Communications asked Shenzhen to declare that Hytera’s H-Series DMR products do not infringe upon Motorola Solutions’ trade secrets or copyrighted software, so sales of the new DMR portfolio should not be subject to the royalty payments outlined by the U.S. district court. Hytera Communications initiated this lawsuit in the Shenzhen court in June 2022 but did not inform the U.S. district court, which oversees implementation of the royalty in question.
View Quote
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top