Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/26/2021 6:53:59 PM EDT
I am looking for a scope to put on a Sig Cross rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor.  I primarily want to use it for hunting however I would also like to use it to do a little plinking at long range targets occasionally too.  My budget is around $1500 and my goals are to find a scope weighing no more than about 20 oz to keep the weight down, excellent glass, illuminated reticle, and a max power of at least 15x.  I have been eyeballing the Leupold VX-6HD 3-18x44 with the illuminated TMOA reticle.  I can find it online for around the $1500 range, but would love to know if there are any other manufacturers that make something comparable in my price range.  I've read some mixed reviews about the vortex razor lht and it is a bit cheaper, but I'm not sure how the glass would compare to the VX6.  If any of you have any recommendations please let me know.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 7:32:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I don’t think you can go wrong with Leupold. I have several and they just keep going season after season. Never even have to touch them. Great low light capability.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 9:37:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm using a Leupold VX6 2-12x with illuminated reticle and CDS.  I love the scope..

I am a big fan of low power.  When hunting, trying to find a buck in the brush at 15 yards on 3 or 4 power is a bitch. However, its significantly easier on 1.5 or 2 x.  Field of view if everything...

the VX6 series are very very good...  I'd buy mine again in a heartbeat.    The CDS system is good, but ensure its a newer model with the Zero Lock.    And the CDS has proven to be exactly on, however, ours are dead its on because I sent measured, correct, accurate muzzle velocities to Leupold.  If you dont have a chronograph and just guess at velocity, the CDS dial settings are similarly just guesses..
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 10:45:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a vx5 3-15 and I love it. I can’t say for sure on the specific models but Leupolds usually weigh less than vortex as well
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 10:00:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Either of the scopes you mentioned would be just fine.  However, with your primary use being hunting, I personally would go with the Leupold.  I was interested in a VX5HD last year for an upcoming hunt.  I went to Cabelas and messed with it in person, and was VERY surprised by the glass.  I bought one and liked it so much I bought two more.  One of the guys I was hunting with had the VX6 you mentioned, on a Browning Hells Canyon.  Sweet rifle and sweet scope.

I know some guys arent fans of the CDS system, but in my opinion, if you put in the time and get honest/accurate data on your rifle/cartridge, they are awesome.  I have found mine to be extremely accurate as far as dialing a particular distance and making first shot hits.  It takes all the math out of it when that critter is staring at you and your heart is coming out of your chest.  Dial in your distance and shoot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top