Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/17/2019 6:05:46 PM EDT
Hello all,

I'm seeking guidance on hunting for muntjac, water deer and possibly roe and fallow deer in England. If possible I would like to get the first two species on the same hunt and a roe buck if possible. I'm not sure what I should be aware of for travling there to hunt.

If I understand correctly I will need a permit to even handle a firearm over there so I'm anticipating having to get that but don't know how to go about it from the US.

I'm also curious about how to find a reputable outfitter and how to go about getting the Cape and skulls back for these animals or is it best to have the taxidermy work done over there? I know if i do that I'll end up essentially paying for the mounts a second time to have them shipped and I have a good taxidermist here I Texas that can do the work.

What else should I know about? Whom amongst you have done one of these hunts?
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 6:55:31 PM EDT
[#1]
You might start here:

UK Hometown Forum
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 9:50:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Urimaginaryfrnd] [#2]
Seriously Bro your going to try to hunt an anti gun country where they are confiscating sharp knives and using dull pointless knives. You would be better off to hunt something in South Texas and not suffer the abuse.

Fallow Deer

Muntjac
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 6:55:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Check the website for the British Deer Society

There may also be some ideas/advice on the UK Stalking Directory forum

As to small details - under UK law you can borrow a rifle while on private land, during hunting activities, under the "estate rifle" ruling.
The alternative may be to bring your own rifle - but you'd need to be sponsored by a UK shooter & obtain a UK Visitor Permit - and we're more restricted on legal rifle types here (no semi auto centre-fire, so no AR or sporting BAR types)
Conversely, it's quite common here to see the majority of hunting rifles fitted with a sound moderator

You may be able to get two species in one hunt - but not likely to find three - but I may be wrong on that.
A friend has access to land just outside the M25 where it is purely CWD & muntjac, so he gets some days where both are taken.

Hope you manage to sort something out!
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 8:50:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Thank you all. I don't think I'd take my own rifle unless it was my Browning A bolt 3 in 270. Even so I imagine since most of the videos of guys hunting these deer in the UK are shooting suppressed that they probably would frown on me not doing so.
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 8:56:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Urimaginaryfrnd:
Seriously Bro your going to try to hunt an anti gun country where they are confiscating sharp knives and using dull pointless knives. You would be better off to hunt something in South Texas and not suffer the abuse.

Fallow Deer

Muntjac
View Quote
True, but my responses are that I can possibly do a UK trip for less or equal to an ox ranch hunt all inclusive. I personally know of no one who has done a UK hunting trip and I love to travel to hunt mainly to experience the different hunting culture.
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 9:15:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By m1garand__man:

True, but my responses are that I can possibly do a UK trip for less or equal to an ox ranch hunt all inclusive. I personally know of no one who has done a UK hunting trip and I love to travel to hunt mainly to experience the different hunting culture.
View Quote
I've been researching African hunts and they are extremely reasonable compared to NA trophy deer or elk hunts. Several animals vs. one. Only extra would be the trophy fees to ship back. Just food for thought as a UK hunt sounds good too.
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 6:33:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Check out the outfitter section on Accurate Reloading.

There are several reputable guides who post hints there.

I barely hunt the US anymore.  Just deer and cow elk. The rest of my hunting is done in Africa.
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 8:03:27 PM EDT
[#8]
I enjoy hunting North America still but I also like the idea of hunting overseas. With the exception  of the aforementioned Asian deer I'm mostly interested in hunting indigenous game if I go overseas. There are a few exceptions for me but this is generally the rule. The only sad thing is that I'm not able to bring home the meat. I suppose if I tried really hard I could eat a whole muntjac in a week but good God that would be a lot of meat in five days!

I do plan on at least trying the meat and buying some back from the guide for at least one additional meal back at the hotel before I leave country.
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 9:17:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By m1garand__man:
I enjoy hunting North America still but I also like the idea of hunting overseas. With the exception  of the aforementioned Asian deer I'm mostly interested in hunting indigenous game if I go overseas. There are a few exceptions for me but this is generally the rule. The only sad thing is that I'm not able to bring home the meat. I suppose if I tried really hard I could eat a whole muntjac in a week but good God that would be a lot of meat in five days!

I do plan on at least trying the meat and buying some back from the guide for at least one additional meal back at the hotel before I leave country.
View Quote
Even in the US they are going to start restricting game meat crossing state lines pretty soon I think because of CWD.
I feel ya on the meat.  Fortunately I have friends in South Africa so I just fill up their freezer instead of mine.
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 11:51:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: m1garand__man] [#10]
Double post
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 11:52:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By cpl_fisher:

Even in the US they are going to start restricting game meat crossing state lines pretty soon I think because of CWD.
I feel ya on the meat.  Fortunately I have friends in South Africa so I just fill up their freezer instead of mine.
View Quote
Well cwd seems to only be found in native cervid species in North America at this time. Also from what I have discovered places that have restrictions on the transport of game only prohibit bone in meat and complete skulls from travling. I feel the skull plate would be contaminated if the deer was CWD positive but I imagine the outcry was great enough that the various jurisdictions that had concern allowed it.

There is new research that CWD maybe caused by a bacterial infection of the brain and that the prions may be symptoms rather than the cause of the desiease. This is based off studies that have been done regarding various encephalopathies with and with out prions involved and all seem to involve bacteria. I've heard this twice this year so far and most recently read about it in this months issue of Deer and Deer Hunting magazine. Time will tell.

But I digress.
Link Posted: 8/22/2019 9:16:31 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm hunting Chinese water deer on the end of a trip to London this year.

Using their rifle (Blaser).

Found the outfitter on accurate reloading.
Link Posted: 8/22/2019 9:19:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Urimaginaryfrnd:

Fallow Deer

Muntjac
View Quote
LOL at those prices.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top