Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2023 9:50:08 AM EDT
So it’s getting closer to time for bees to swarm and I’m looking for ideas on how to catch my swarms, or at least how to keep from having to cut them out of trees.

I’ve seen and heard of people using t-posts and hanging black conduit upside down to attract swarming bees. Anyone use this or another method? If so, do you any type of pheromones or attractants to lure them to the conduit?
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 10:11:45 AM EDT
[#1]
This guy seems to have a decent handle on it.

If I Hadn't Caught It On Camera You Wouldn't Have Believed Me

Basically find the queen and relocate. They won't hang around where a queen is not.
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 2:34:33 PM EDT
[#2]
The queen is the key.
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 3:50:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The queen is the key.
View Quote

Do you guys have any tips/tricks to drawing the queen to an easier accessible rather than them seeking refuge in a tall tree or somewhere hard to get to?
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 7:09:13 PM EDT
[#4]
This is my 2nd year with bees so I am far from an expert so take this for what it’s worth. The lady who has been mentoring me uses swarm traps with varying degrees of success. I am trying this year for the first time so I don’t have much experience. I used an empty deep hive box that I have and made lids and a bottom for it. You then drill an entrance hole and put a couple empty frames inside it along with lemongrass oil as an attractant. If you don’t have bee stuff this is probably not much help but you can look them up online and people have all kinds of different variations. It is not long til bees will be starting to swarm around here so hopefully they work.
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 7:15:23 PM EDT
[#5]
My Dad was beekeeper.
(Part time.)

When his friend was killed, Dad went to his house and "talked" to the friend's bees.
They swarmed up and left.

I didn't understand it, but apparently it's a thing beekeepers know how to do?
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 7:21:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
This guy seems to have a decent handle on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgOYLDf5Wv8

Basically find the queen and relocate. They won't hang around where a queen is not.
View Quote

That was very cool.
My Dad would do stuff like that and never get stung.

The guy in the video only got stung twice.
I would have been a swollen corpse by the time the video was over.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 8:14:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Catching your own swarms is very hit and miss. Much better to monitor your hives and split them ahead of time.

My DW is the beekeeper in the family. After we got married we moved 25 of her hives up here from FL in late March. Beekeeping here is very different from FL. With the long days and abundance of nectar the hive populations just exploded. We were chasing swarms all over. I put a five gallon bucket on the end of long aluminum snow roof rake handle that had 4 6' sections. I would jam the bucket into the swarm and hope the queen fell in. We caught a few that way.

We do usually put out a hive body like one of the above posters mentioned. We've caught a few swarms like that over the years.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 10:34:52 AM EDT
[#8]
We have been trying to catch a swarm in Central Florida for a few years.   We have captured them and placed them in boxes but have never had any success in keeping them.  We're trying to switch it up this year and try something new.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 10:39:16 AM EDT
[#9]
I actually had a swarm of bees get into my goddamned wall yesterday. I went out to see what was going on. Got stung on the shoulder. Got a beekeeper coming out today to try and coax em out of the wall.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 3:47:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I actually had a swarm of bees get into my goddamned wall yesterday. I went out to see what was going on. Got stung on the shoulder. Got a beekeeper coming out today to try and coax em out of the wall.
View Quote

I would love to be able to get swarms out of peoples walls and such.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 9:56:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I would love to be able to get swarms out of peoples walls and such.
View Quote

@Camaroman
Removal was successful.  Had to cut into my first floor ceiling to get em out. Guy had a FLIR imager that he used to find out where they were. Pretty neat.

Link Posted: 5/13/2023 11:15:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

@Camaroman
Removal was successful.  Had to cut into my first floor ceiling to get em out. Guy had a FLIR imager that he used to find out where they were. Pretty neat.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/310196/IMG_2509-2814550.jpg
View Quote

I've heard of thermal imagery being used for that, neat stuff. I had a swarm in the utility room of a house I was renting one time, guess they came in around the dryer vent opening. I had seen some hives at a house down the road so I went and knocked on the door. The old guy came and helped me remove them. There were thousands of them but they were surprisingly docile, I only got stung once and I had no proper gear to use aside from a hood the guy let me use.

Last time I helped retrieve a swarm was for a woman I knew that had just started beekeeping. We placed a box under the swarm, I got up on a ladder and cut the limb they were on letting them fall into the box. I guess we got lucky and the queen was with them so they stayed with her. I didn't get stung at all that time, I did have one bee that got in my pants somehow though. I just excused myself to the garage for a minute to evict it, my friend and her daughters couldn't believe I was so calm about it. Honey bees don't bother me, if it had been a wasp or a hornet I would have embarrassed them all.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 11:20:01 AM EDT
[#13]
When bees are swarming they are usually quite docile.  The absolute key is to find the queen.   Look for the largest cluster of bees or for the direction all the bees are going because it will be toward her.   Put her in a bee case and put that in a box with an opening, they will stream toward her
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 10:18:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 7:33:22 PM EDT
[#15]
What kitties said about the lemongrass oil.

If you can smell it, it's probably too much.

Just old drawn comb frames in the swarm trap is fine.

A friend of mine uses burlap as a inner cover, and the bees propolize it. When it's full, he puts a piece of it above the trap entrance.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 4:47:26 PM EDT
[#16]
I had a swarm show up in a tree right outside the back door yesterday. I called a local bee keeper and he came right away to get them. He got up there with a portable bee hive and shook the branch to get the majority of bees intot it. He then used a hand brush to sweep the rest into the container. Bees are generally pretty calm and don't sting when they are swarmed like that. I stood pretty close to make sure he didn't fall off the ladder and none of the bees came close to me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top