Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2021 3:53:27 PM EDT
Currently keep a few racing fuel cans of gas and a couple of diesel at the house. I keep them in the shop and rotate them every few months in the tractor, truck, mower etc.

I want some way better than just having 5 gal jugs sitting in the corner of my shop and I also want a way to keep my teenage boy from "borrowing" my stash.

How do you guys store you fuel reserves? I was thinking about some type of cabinet under the lean to of my shop. it'd be out of the weather and sun but not from the wind or heat.
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 4:24:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Just keep mine in a simple shed.  I have 6 cans and pour one into my vehicle once a month, then refill.  So every 6 months my stock of fuel is refreshed.
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 8:03:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Sta-Bil added, dated and rotated in one of the sheds.
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 10:19:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I keep 30 gallons of ethanol free gas in my shed for our generator. I fill six 5 gallon cans up at the beginning of hurricane season and add a fuel preservative. I pour into my vehicles at the end of hurricane season. With all the shit happening I think I might just rotate them every six months year round. I also keep 6 propane tanks on hand for hurricanes.
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 10:51:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I keep a number of NATO cans full of gasoline.  Currently have about 7 cans full but planning to expand that to 10 or more soon.  Also keep 4 cans for diesel (tractor and generator) -soon to be 5 cans.  I rotate my gasoline through my zero turn mower and my ATVs.  The diesel goes through the generator occasionally but most goes through the tractor.   I use a can and then immediately refill it.  Once it's refilled, it becomes the newest gas and I then use the next oldest gas can.  With my rotation usage, gas doesn't sit in the cans for more than one year.  I don't mind letting it sit for way more than one year (contrary to popular opinion, well sealed gas doesn't go bad) but knowing I have fresh gas is good for peace of mind.  I only use E10 87 octane gas.  Good stuff.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 5:52:07 AM EDT
[#5]
I used to have two 55 gallon drums that I would fill and then pump fuel out of.   That was a hassle.  

Now I have just use gas cans.    I have ten basic plastic cans and ten NATO Wavian cans.   The NATO cans are MUCH nicer and easier to use and the plastic cans are for overflow and loaning out.   I may fill a plastic can at the pump but it will be dumped into a NATO can before being used.  I spill a lot less gas doing that than trying to use the CARB compliant spouts.    I bought a couple of the "universal water spouts" for gas cans but they pour so darn slow compared to the Wavian cans that I just transfer before using.  

As for rotating, I rarely have gas older than one year on hand.   The cans are lined up on the shelf.  When they are full I put them on the shelf with the spout away from me.   When empty them I put them with the spout towards me.   I just keep working down the line.   When I get to the end of the line then I start over at the beginning.   If I see that I have four or five empty cans then I will plan a gas run.  

My wife routinely gets deals where she can get $1.00 of gas up to 35 gallons of gas.   She does this multiple times per month.   If one of the vehicles is at 1/2 a tank and we have four empty cans then it will use the bulk of 35 gallons.   Speaking of which, I have to put gas in her car this AM.   The Wavian cans are awesome for that.   I will put ten gallons in her vehicle in less than two minutes.
Link Posted: 7/24/2021 6:48:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/24/2021 2:31:05 PM EDT
[#7]
I be poor and only have plastic gas cans stashed outside.  Every can has a tag on it, when it was filled and what type of Stabil and HEET are in it, how much $ it cost and exactly how much is in each can. Then where and when the gas is used.

I keep a note pad for the gas with the same information in the garage, so I can see how much gas I have on hand and how old the gas is in each can so I know which one is ready to be used next.

CAN L-5-1 (5gal can #1), 1/1/21 (date filled), $2.000/5.000gal/$10.00, STABIL & RED HEET
2/1/21 added to ATV
Link Posted: 7/25/2021 10:49:14 AM EDT
[#8]
6 matching Duetchoptik 5 gallon cans. At Christmas I put them into the card and refill with premium. Every year. They last fine and since I don’t have gas yard stuff (all electric) it’s a good way to do it.
Link Posted: 7/25/2021 11:04:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Change out spring and fall
Link Posted: 7/25/2021 8:48:19 PM EDT
[#10]
I simply put it into the cans and store it for one year or a little more

Link Posted: 7/26/2021 10:07:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Duplicate post
Link Posted: 7/26/2021 10:09:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

More speaking of storage at home.  Do you just stack those twenty gas cans in you garage, shop or something.  Do you treat it before storage?
Link Posted: 7/26/2021 10:25:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Edit - wrong thread
Link Posted: 7/26/2021 12:02:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Nice!  I have probably twenty different types of fuel cans, so storage is a bitch!

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/26/2021 12:32:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

More speaking of storage at home.  Do you just stack those twenty gas cans in you garage, shop or something.  Do you treat it before storage?
View Quote

I realize this question wasn’t directed at me.

My solution that I’m working on now is steel lockable job boxes. I have a 60”x24” job box and will shortly have a 48”x24” job box. The larger box will hold 10-12 NATO cans of gas and the smaller box will will hold 5 NATO cans of diesel and a few propane bottles (5lb, 11lb, and 20lb tanks)
Link Posted: 7/26/2021 12:33:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Get a flammable storage cabinet. If the handles don’t lock, put a hasp and padlock on it. Top shelf is fuel to be used first (oldest). Once a can is empty, refill and put on bottom, pushing cans up.
Link Posted: 7/26/2021 3:10:49 PM EDT
[#17]
I will use up 50-75 gallons by filling up vehicles, lawn tractor, generator, etc. over a few months. It’s a 275 gallon tank IIRC, so I still have a decent amount stored even after using 75 gallons. Then I’ll go get 50-75 gallons to replace what I have used. It figure it’s kind of a slow rotation, but I do treat the fuel I put into the tank with PRI-G.

Link Posted: 7/26/2021 3:47:19 PM EDT
[#18]
My last gas in our little car came from my stash; it cost $2.099 per gal.  I filled the car up today at $3.499 per gal.
Link Posted: 7/26/2021 5:48:58 PM EDT
[#19]
How long until fuel for cars, stored in a garage, goes bad?
Link Posted: 7/26/2021 10:40:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
How long until fuel for cars, stored in a garage, goes bad?
View Quote

It depends on the quality of the gas cans. Cheap Walmart cans won’t last as long as quality cans. I have stored gasoline for at least 4 years at a time in well sealed gas cans (metal NATO cans and plastic MFC cans) with absolutely no loss of quality. Contrary to internet legend, gas doesn’t go bad in 30 days like some people claim.

I only store and use 87 octane E10 gasoline with no problems. The evils of ethanol are also internet legend with little basis in fact but lots of emotion.
Link Posted: 7/26/2021 11:18:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

It depends on the quality of the gas cans. Cheap Walmart cans won’t last as long as quality cans. I have stored gasoline for at least 4 years at a time in well sealed gas cans (metal NATO cans and plastic MFC cans) with absolutely no loss of quality. Contrary to internet legend, gas doesn’t go bad in 30 days like some people claim.

I only store and use 87 octane E10 gasoline with no problems. The evils of ethanol are also internet legend with little basis in fact but lots of emotion.
View Quote

That^^^

I've stored drums of 87 octane E10 gas for as long as 7 years without rotating it. Then I moved and emptied the drums to make them easier to move.

I'm at 5 years now at the new place and have 2 drums that were filled just after moving in. I'm going to stretch at least one of them out to 10 years then test it.

Airtight storage is the key. You want to see the can/drum swell in the heat, it means it's holding the vapors in (not losing them).
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 8:37:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

That^^^

I've stored drums of 87 octane E10 gas for as long as 7 years without rotating it. Then I moved and emptied the drums to make them easier to move.

I'm at 5 years now at the new place and have 2 drums that were filled just after moving in. I'm going to stretch at least one of them out to 10 years then test it.

Airtight storage is the key. You want to see the can/drum swell in the heat, it means it's holding the vapors in (not losing them).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That^^^

Exactly, air-tight storage would solve 99% of the problems people encounter.  I’ve used 5+ year old 10% ethanol unleaded with no issues.  Probably not a best practice, but sometimes life gets in the way.
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 9:24:44 AM EDT
[#23]

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but those cans are not good for long term storage of gasoline. I used to use those types of cans and still have some empties of those types of cans just in case I need to temporarily increase my fuel supplies but for long term, they are going to leak small amounts of the important volatile compounds in the gas and the plastic in those cans are notorious for eventually breaking down and failing. Since you are storing them indoors the sun isn’t going to be as much of a concern. I’d be a bit nervous if I was storing that much gas indoors in those types of cans.
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 9:29:04 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I will use up 50-75 gallons by filling up vehicles, lawn tractor, generator, etc. over a few months. It’s a 275 gallon tank IIRC, so I still have a decent amount stored even after using 75 gallons. Then I’ll go get 50-75 gallons to replace what I have used. It figure it’s kind of a slow rotation, but I do treat the fuel I put into the tank with PRI-G.

https://i.postimg.cc/xdxNv8D9/11772-C21-E141-4-EB0-BB9-A-A5-D2-E7-F806-ED.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/Y0g4Bx4S/E9-D5-B3-FD-50-FD-4-E25-9391-CBD2-FAFEE083.jpg

View Quote

I assume that’s a 12 volt pump with a battery and solar panel to charge it? What size battery do you have for it?
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 8:08:45 PM EDT
[#25]
I rotate my Jerry Cans through my truck and wife car.

100% ethanol treated with PRI G rotated on a 6 month schedule.

NMG
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 4:32:56 PM EDT
[#26]
I don't store much gasoline but if  do it is in DeutcheOptik NATO cans with tight fitting lids.  I will keep it for a year before switching it out.

I do store a lot of diesel in both NATO cans and 30 gallon drums. (I had a 50 gallon drum but it was a pain to move around when full.)  I rotate the diesel about every 3 years by running it through my truck 50/50 with "fresh from the pump" fuel.

Here is the transfer pump system that I put together from parts I bought on ebay ...

... if you buy a pump like this make sure that it is rated for the fuel that you are pumping.

YMMV
TheMULE
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 6:10:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I don't store much gasoline but if  do it is in DeutcheOptik NATO cans with tight fitting lids.  I will keep it for a year before switching it out.

I do store a lot of diesel in both NATO cans and 30 gallon drums.  I had a 50 gallon drum but it was a pain to move around when full.  I rotate the diesel about every 3 years by running it through my truck 50/50 with fresh from the pump fuel.

Here is the transfer pump system that I put together from parts I bought on ebay ...

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/130328/Fuel_Pump_04-742043.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/130328/Fuel_Pump_01-742042.jpg

... if you buy a pump like this make sure that it is rated for the fuel that you are pumping.

YMMV
TheMULE
View Quote

What’s in the plastic bin?
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 10:34:18 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
What’s in the plastic bin?
View Quote

----------------------------------------------------------

The milk crate holds a 1-1/2 gallon bucket in case the fittings start to leak (not an issue so far, I put it together with teflon tape on the threads), also a jug of Absorb-all spill soak in case of a big leak, and a couple of rags to wipe the nozzle down when I'm done using it.  I lined the crate with a cardboard box to retain anything small that I may toss in it while working with the system.

The box with the battery in it is placed to the side while pumping to keep any fuel leaks from directly dripping on the battery. The "extra" wire coming off of the battery is the trickle charger hook-up.

The fire extinguisher mounts on the frame of the two wheel dolly when not in use.

YMMV
TheMULE
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 1:38:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

----------------------------------------------------------

The milk crate holds a 1-1/2 gallon bucket in case the fittings start to leak (not an issue so far, I put it together with teflon tape on the threads), also a jug of Absorb-all spill soak in case of a big leak, and a couple of rags to wipe the nozzle down when I'm done using it.  I lined the crate with a cardboard box to retain anything small that I may toss in it while working with the system.

The box with the battery in it is placed to the side while pumping to keep any fuel leaks from directly dripping on the battery.

The fire extinguisher mounts on the frame of the two wheel dolly when not in use.

YMMV
TheMULE
View Quote

Interesting. Well thought out. Thanks
Link Posted: 8/8/2021 1:08:51 PM EDT
[#30]
First go here and get you some real gas cans for storage.

Wavian
Link Posted: 8/8/2021 1:34:25 PM EDT
[#31]
I have recently tweaked my rotation system. It’s simple. Each NATO can is numbered. I got smaller vinyl number stickers for the cans. The cans are stored in metal job boxes (1 for diesel cans and propane bottles and 1 for gasoline and propane bottle overflow). I keep one can out for current use as needed. When I empty the can, it gets placed near my truck so it can get refilled ASAP. Then, let’s say the recently emptied can is #3. I then go get can #4 to use next. Can #3 gets refilled and placed back in storage. When can #4 gets emptied, it gets refilled and placed back in storage and I get #5 to use next etc…..

Link Posted: 8/8/2021 9:59:54 PM EDT
[#32]
If you are adding stored fuel to a vehicle, do it while the vehicle's gas tank is half-empty, not dead-empty. That way, the stored fuel gets watered down with the newer fuel before heading into the fuel lines, etc.
Link Posted: 8/8/2021 10:50:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
If you are adding stored fuel to a vehicle, do it while the vehicle's gas tank is half-empty, not dead-empty. That way, the stored fuel gets watered down with the newer fuel before heading into the fuel lines, etc.
View Quote

If you think your stored gas is going bad then not a bad idea. If your gas has been stored correctly (well sealed cans) then don’t worry about it. I’ve run a full tank of 4 year old, ethanol containing gas from cans without a single issue. Just as good as the day I filled the cans.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 9:10:23 AM EDT
[#34]
I keep them in the shop and rotate them every few months in the tractor, truck, mower etc.
I usually keep them for about 6 to 8 months before I run them through the truck during the summer.  Although, this year I think I am at about 10 months since filling all cans.

I also want a way to keep my teenage boy from "borrowing" my stash.
Lock and Key is the only way to stop him.

How do you guys store you fuel reserves?
I keep mine in a shed.  Need to build some shelves to better organize the ten different types of cans.

Bill
Link Posted: 8/12/2021 7:18:21 PM EDT
[#35]
I use plastic cans and simply rotate in my lawn tractor, ATV, and other toys.  In the winter I use more in my ATVs plowing.  I don't keep gas for much over a year rotating it through various toys and implements.  If for some reason I thought it was getting to old I would pour it in a vehicle then refill the cans.  If we get a good winter it doesn't take long for me to use some up in the snowmobiles.  The only need I have for diesel fuel is our mini excavator, which is really good on fuel.  I think I will start keeping an extra 5 gallon & 2.5 gallon can on hand which would give me many hours of operation and during SHTF I cant see much need to run an excavator for days on end.  I try to focus on gas for travel or bug out, the generator, and chainsaws.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top