Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/7/2024 10:52:29 PM EDT
Hey all,
I have lots of small rechargeable aa/aaa flashlights but I'm wondering about getting a handheld rechargeable flashlight/spotlight for general house usage with more candlepower/bigger battery.  I have offgrid solar so anything I can charge with 110 is viable.  Thanks for the suggestions.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 11:17:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I guess it kinda depends on what you need to illum. I'm in an area with lots of woods, but also some decent distances. Rural area, so limited support. Best solution I found for the household flashlight is a Streamlight Protac HL5X. Got a couple of them, not cheap, but watch for sales.

Has a good beam, not too wide, not too narrow.  Uses 18650 or CR123 batts.

Link Posted: 3/7/2024 11:21:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Seabee_Mech] [#2]
I have a couple of Streamlight Waypoint rechargeable spot lights that I've been very pleased with, they're on the smaller size and light (for a pistol gripped spotlight) at 1.8 lbs.They have a great beam for long range spotting but still enough spill to be useful closer in. The 400 series is adjustable from 1400 (3.75 hours), 600 (7.5 hours) down to to 38 lumens (84 hours) which increases their versatility.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 8:00:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Another vote for the Streamlight Waypoint series. i bought the ones that are not rechargeable, but I run rechargeable batteries in them. I like having the option of using non rechargeable batteries in a pinch if needed.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 9:11:29 AM EDT
[#4]
DEWALT 20V MAX LED Work Light
RYOBI
ONE+ 18V Cordless LED Spotlight
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 9:46:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Amazon
Magnetic Rechargeable Flashlight 10000 High Lumens, XHP50.2 Super Bright LED Tactical with COB Work Light, USB C Fast Charging, Waterproof, Zoomable, 7 Modes Best for Camping  $30 for 2, get 4
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 10:17:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ColtRifle] [#6]
I keep a Milwaukee M12 spotlight near my back door. Can easily light up my back yard for over 100 yards with no problem. I have a bunch of M12 tools so it make sense to have the M12 light too. I keep a 6ah battery on it so it stands up on its own.  

Link Posted: 3/8/2024 12:41:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By czechsix:
I guess it kinda depends on what you need to illum. I'm in an area with lots of woods, but also some decent distances. Rural area, so limited support. Best solution I found for the household flashlight is a Streamlight Protac HL5X. Got a couple of them, not cheap, but watch for sales.

https://www.streamlight.com/images/default-source/product-large-images/protac-hl5-x-88080-web.jpg?Status=Master&sfvrsn=43a3b1f0_11
View Quote

Great light. I got this for my girlfriend for when she let's her dog out. Lights up the backyard and woods nicely.  Good throw. Great light for the price.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 11:26:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By dirtyboy:
Amazon
Magnetic Rechargeable Flashlight 10000 High Lumens, XHP50.2 Super Bright LED Tactical with COB Work Light, USB C Fast Charging, Waterproof, Zoomable, 7 Modes Best for Camping  $30 for 2, get 4
View Quote

Thanks I added a couple of these to my Amazon cart.

Appreciate all the replies, I also added a Dewalt 20v light as I already have that system with my drill.  I'll keep an eye out for sales on the Streamlights.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 11:02:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By SharkStomper:
Hey all,
I have lots of small rechargeable aa/aaa flashlights but I'm wondering about getting a handheld rechargeable flashlight/spotlight for general house usage with more candlepower/bigger battery.  I have offgrid solar so anything I can charge with 110 is viable.  Thanks for the suggestions.
View Quote

You might take a look at the Lumencraft FL-1.  They're 18650 lights, simple user interface, USB (micro and comes with a cord) rechargeable,  600lm, and an order option includes a battery.  It's intended to be a simple and reliable, an entry level light.

It periodically goes on sale on the Lumencraft website (about 50% off the currently posted price) Lumencraft FL-1

Amazon currently has a better price and if you have Prime, free shipping.  Lumencraft FL-1 on Amazon

Matt also has several videos with the FL-1, starts at 1:50 of this video.  
You won't believe this.....

I bought a few the last time it went on sale.  My intent for them is for gifts to non-fllashaholics that need a good light or to loan out to neighbors.

mm
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 8:15:44 PM EDT
[#10]
If you're not going to carry it you might look into 21700 flashlights. I carry an 18650 light (Wowtac A6, Thrunite sub brand) and have a Thrunite 26650 by the door. To my understanding 21700 lights have similar numbers as 26650 lights (older vs newer lights aside) but are easier to hold. For me it's not so much the output on turbo but the runtimes on high and medium. I like Thrunite but did not like their 21700 light- bad mode spacing and the proprietary battery wouldn't charge in a charger, only in the light.

I also prefer the single side button over the dual button setup as you can choose from turbo, moonlight and whichever regular mode you were on last. With the dual button tactical lights you have to cycle through all the non disco modes. The programmable Streamlights are a good compromise here, I have 2 Polytacs set to high only on a pair of rifles but set them to low-high when I carry one. They're a good household use light with good runtimes, I buy the 18650 models and use higher cap batteries. The included batteries have a charging port on the battery.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 10:28:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By SharkStomper:

Thanks I added a couple of these to my Amazon cart.

Appreciate all the replies, I also added a Dewalt 20v light as I already have that system with my drill.  I'll keep an eye out for sales on the Streamlights.
View Quote

I have two no-name spotlights that work off DeWalt batteries. They are 4" LED panels. ~$15 on Amazon and I'm very happy with them.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 12:30:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By czechsix:

https://www.streamlight.com/images/default-source/product-large-images/protac-hl5-x-88080-web.jpg?Status=Master&sfvrsn=43a3b1f0_11
View Quote

I love my Streamlight similar to this that takes 3x 123a... except how fast it eats them.  Turns the night into day quite well.  88047 ProTac HL 3 which is 1100ish lumens...
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 8:55:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By 302w:

I have two no-name spotlights that work off DeWalt batteries. They are 4" LED panels. ~$15 on Amazon and I'm very happy with them.
View Quote

Which ones did you go with?  The actual DeWalt brand one has average reviews and seems a bit overpriced at a hundred bucks.  I already have several tools with the 20V system so I wouldn't mind trying a cheaper option.  I have several very bright 18650 lights so it's more of a want not a need for me at this point.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 9:57:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Streamlight Waypoint
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top