BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 12/3/2018 11:54:42 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 1:21:30 AM EDT
[#1]
I have the zumspot use it for DMR.  Very easy to set up and use.  I had a 1st Gen SharkRF which was great as well but the price of the Gen 2 not so sure it's worth that.  So far very happy with the zumspot.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 1:39:23 AM EDT
[#2]
I have the Jumbospot and it has worked well for me.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 10:11:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote
any issues with the jumbospot ?

thanks
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 11:01:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

thanks
View Quote
The only issue I had was the LCD stopped working. I took the case top off and that fixed it. I guess pins on the bottom contacts were shorting out the screen from touching the case. Put the top back on, but I loosened it  and it works.

Other than that no problems. You may have to play with the offset a little.

I like the SharkRF because of the internal antenna but I can't justify the price.
I used KY4YZI video on youtube as a guide for setting mine up. It's been flawless.

One thing I saw mentioned is make sure the freq you use is in the bandplan for hotspots and such. The latest revision will let you put in one that's not but it won't transmit is what I've read.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 11:04:10 AM EDT
[#5]
I've  used 2 dv4mini's, sold one to a buddy who then bought a Zumspot.
I've used the dv4 mini on a raspberry pi with a display... kind of a PIA.
Went to a DVMega/bluestack but bluetooth range wasn't great.

I now use a Nano-Spot with +db antennas in my Jeep Commander, mostly with my Yaesu FTM-400D for fusion and Dstar on my ID-51+.

I really like the external antenna connectors on the Nano-Spot. Those +db antennas give me extra range on WiFi out to several hundred feet from the vehicle to my phone hotspot. If I leave the phone in the car I have gotten over a mile to the HT. Nano-Spot runs on the Pi-Star software.

If I need to go pedestrian portable I usually use the DVmega attached to a powerbank and bluetoothed to my phone with the ID-51+ HT.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 12:14:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

thanks
View Quote
Nope, been happy with it so far.  In fact seeing the ebay link you posted makes me think about getting another.  I keep mine in my work bag and it gets used at home, work and in the pickup.  I bought mine from another medic at my station last summer, he put all my call sign and wifi info on the sd card for me so it was all ready to go.  The pi-star dashboard works well from my phone or iPad for monitoring activity or making changes to it.

The only thing I really had to mess with was adjusting the receive offset to get the bit error rate a bit lower, which is easily done from a phone...I had no difficulty doing with it and I'm not a computer guy at all.

Someone smarter than me can maybe explain it better, but from your OP....when using a hotspot, you aren't actually accessing the wires-x system.  To do that, you need a radio hooked to an hri-200 or a repeater hooked to wires x.  A hotspot accesses either YSF or FCS reflectors, some of which are linked to wires x rooms though.  I'm active on a few reflectors and also use a bridge to access DMR.

While you're waiting for Santa, go here and get yourself a DMR ID, so you have it ready when you get a hotspot...it opens up a lot more activity.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 12:32:09 PM EDT
[#7]
I already applied and got my DMR ID a few days ago

...but I don’t have a DMR radio

just yaesu C4FM for now

can the jumbospot cross-pollinate my yaesu to DMR nodes ????
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 4:49:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Good deal.

Yea it can...I think any of them will.  You just link into a ysf to dmr bridge through the hotspot.  The dmr talkgroup is selected using the pi-star dashboard.

Hope he brings you one so we can have a qso!  Actually maybe if there is enough interest around here we could find a reflector to be an ARFHAM hangout...
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 2:28:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Sweet
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 8:25:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 2:09:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Got it late yesterday

followed along a youtube video to setup

was easier than expected

pretty coolAttachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 3:21:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Sweet! I did learn today that you have to update it through the dashboard occasionally to get the current list of active reflectors.

Hanging out on FCS00323 MNWis or DM me another room if you want to chat
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 10:27:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Sweet! I did learn today that you have to update it through the dashboard occasionally to get the current list of active reflectors.

Hanging out on FCS00323 MNWis or DM me another room if you want to chat
View Quote
just saw this,

Maybe Sunday ?

I worked all day, and busy tonight with family

Derek
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 8:57:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Sounds good.  I work til 1900 today but sometimes have the hotspot on at work if it’s quiet
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 3:36:30 AM EDT
[#16]
I ordered a zumspot and got it in friday, it works great. i'm going to make a custom enclosure with 3.5" nextion screen, and built in battery pack.

You have a ft-70d, are you able to change reflectors, or rooms from your radio? I have america link and alabama link saved in the radio favorites, but i can't make pi-star change rooms from the radio.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 12:46:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I ordered a zumspot and got it in friday, it works great. i'm going to make a custom enclosure with 3.5" nextion screen, and built in battery pack.

You have a ft-70d, are you able to change reflectors, or rooms from your radio? I have america link and alabama link saved in the radio favorites, but i can't make pi-star change rooms from the radio.
View Quote
I haven't tried to change nodes from the tiny radio buttons.

I use the pi-star/admin/configure.php

I've learned, when you switch nodes in DMR,  you have to kerchunk the radio to make the switch complete  ( YSF2DMR)

I've been wanting to try to switch fusion rooms with my FTM100, since it's got more to display, but haven't had time.

Wife recently had surgery, so between that and work, I haven't had much time to play with it.

It would be neat to get an ARFCOM node on YSF or DMR

i've had fun meeting ARFCOMMERs on the old tues. 80meter net and wed. night net.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 1:53:23 PM EDT
[#18]
trying to change rooms following along with this video.

so far...I can't get it to change rooms

I'm either fat fingering it,....or my jumbo-spot isn't capable ???

Yaesu FT-70DR Wires X Control
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 3:48:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

trying to change rooms following along with this video.

so far...I can't get it to change rooms

I'm either fat fingering it,....or my jumbo-spot isn't capable ???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IuhryJODP4
View Quote
Thanks i haven't seen that video. It's not hard to save rooms in one of the 5 memory slots, and when i'm able to hit the local repeater, it's easy to change rooms from the radio. I can't make pi star switch them.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 3:52:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I haven't tried to change nodes from the tiny radio buttons.

I use the pi-star/admin/configure.php

I've learned, when you switch nodes in DMR,  you have to kerchunk the radio to make the switch complete  ( YSF2DMR)

I've been wanting to try to switch fusion rooms with my FTM100, since it's got more to display, but haven't had time.

Wife recently had surgery, so between that and work, I haven't had much time to play with it.

It would be neat to get an ARFCOM node on YSF or DMR

i've had fun meeting ARFCOMMERs on the old tues. 80meter net and wed. night net.
View Quote
I've thought about ordering a hri-200, and setting up my own room, i wouldn't mind calling it arfnet87 lol, if enough of you guys were interested.

I've got a spare older pc, too run one, but I'd like to save up and get a ftm-100dr or 400dr, to accompany it, for my own local use.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 3:58:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I've thought about ordering a hri-200, and setting up my own room, i wouldn't mind calling it arfnet87 lol, if enough of you guys were interested.

I've got a spare older pc, too run one, but I'd like to save up and get a ftm-100dr or 400dr, to accompany it, for my own local use.
View Quote
save some of your hard earned cash for HF stuff.

That is where the real fun is.

Link Posted: 12/24/2018 4:45:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

save some of your hard earned cash for HF stuff.

That is where the real fun is.

View Quote
I want it all . But yes I've got my eye on a ft-891 or a icom ic-7100, I want a mobile setup to start with.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 5:22:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I want it all . But yes I've got my eye on a ft-891 or a icom ic-7100, I want a mobile setup to start with.
View Quote
HF mobile is a lot of fun

Link Posted: 12/24/2018 7:11:14 PM EDT
[#24]
What antenna is that you have and what does a antenna setup like that run, if you don't mind me asking. I was looking at the yaesu ats120, which i've read don't need a external tuner if you use a ft891, or ft857d.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 11:13:07 PM EDT
[#25]
TAHEEL II

https://www.tarheelantennas.com/little_tarheel_ii

been playing HF mobile for over 25 years, the TS-480HX and Tarheel II are by far the most satisfying

Link Posted: 12/25/2018 1:45:29 AM EDT
[#26]
You can change rooms on the FT70.  Just be careful to use the room numbers referenced from the initial room drop select on the pistar OS.
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 4:23:17 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

TAHEEL II

https://www.tarheelantennas.com/little_tarheel_ii

been playing HF mobile for over 25 years, the TS-480HX and Tarheel II are by far the most satisfying

https://i.imgur.com/Ilbha9f.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/XYPpJJ5.jpg
View Quote
That's a nice looking setup. Not to bad price wise since it comes with controller. The ats120 has to be used with a yaesu radio unless you add tuner from what i gather, and i haven't made up my mind on which radio i want yet.
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 4:25:19 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
You can change rooms on the FT70.  Just be careful to use the room numbers referenced from the initial room drop select on the pistar OS.
View Quote
So you have to manually put in the room number every time you change it? Wonder why the memory won't work, i mean you have to put the room number in to save it. The ft70 doesn't pull up a list like the other more expensive radios do, so you have to program them in.
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 11:43:51 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

That's a nice looking setup. Not to bad price wise since it comes with controller. The ats120 has to be used with a yaesu radio unless you add tuner from what i gather, and i haven't made up my mind on which radio i want yet.
View Quote
the TARHEEL is much better quality than the yaesu 120

It's built like a tank
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 1:00:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

the TARHEEL is much better quality than the yaesu 120

It's built like a tank
View Quote
I've read some people were having problems with the yaesu, and you have to take it apart and constantly clean it.
Eventually I'll have a rig setup in my jeep which does see offroad use, so that was a concern.
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 4:07:02 PM EDT
[#31]
back when i had a 1998 TJ i mounted an Icom 706mkiig in the center TUFFY console

with the floppy soft top and mud tires, I couldn’t hear much DX

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 5:03:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

So you have to manually put in the room number every time you change it? Wonder why the memory won't work, i mean you have to put the room number in to save it. The ft70 doesn't pull up a list like the other more expensive radios do, so you have to program them in.
View Quote
Not each time if you save it in one of the 5 memory locations. At 4.31 he explains it. You lock into the repeater and then enter the room # at the location below and press the AMS button at the bottom. Then if you want to save it press and hold the number corresponding to the location 1-5 in the second photo. He pressed 3 and it saved to position 3 as shown below. Repeat for each room you want to save to that repeater. Once you have them in, just rotate the selector dial to the room you want while connected and press AMS again to change rooms.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Download the ADMS software from YEASU and program the repeaters you like into the radio. You can also give them names and tag them to show on the display. The ADMS from YEASU is clunky to use (especially when connecting the PC to the radio) but free is free. If I can do it anyone can  RT is much better but also costs $48.95 or more.

Here is the link to the YEASU node list use the numbers on the far left (DTMF ID) for the room you want: https://www.yaesu.com/jp/en/wires-x/id/active_node.php

Here is another good source for Fusion information: https://www.hamoperator.com/Hamoperator/HamOperator.com.html

Edit added column ID
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 8:18:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Not each time if you save it in one of the 5 memory locations. At 4.31 he explains it. You lock into the repeater and then enter the room # at the location below and press the AMS button at the bottom. Then if you want to save it press and hold the number corresponding to the location 1-5 in the second photo. He pressed 3 and it saved to position 3 as shown below. Repeat for each room you want to save to that repeater. Once you have them in, just rotate the selector dial to the room you want while connected and press AMS again to change rooms.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/146437/Room_enter_JPG-785210.JPG https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/146437/position_3_JPG-785217.JPG

Download the ADMS software from YEASU and program the repeaters you like into the radio. You can also give them names and tag them to show on the display. The ADMS from YEASU is clunky to use (especially when connecting the PC to the radio) but free is free. If I can do it anyone can  RT is much better but also costs $48.95 or more.

Here is the link to the YEASU node list use the numbers on the far left (DTMF ID) for the room you want: https://www.yaesu.com/jp/en/wires-x/id/active_node.php

Here is another good source for Fusion information: https://www.hamoperator.com/Hamoperator/HamOperator.com.html

Edit added column ID
View Quote
I've got nodes saved in my radio, but the radio won't change nodes/rooms using a zumspot.
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 8:20:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
back when i had a 1998 TJ i mounted an Icom 706mkiig in the center TUFFY console

with the floppy soft top and mud tires, I couldn’t hear much DX

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/2275/CCFC5EE6-95E5-43A1-A6D3-3063F4A0E64A_jpeg-785149.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/2275/8309FB9E-C55F-4B9B-9F80-F6162D8D2828_jpeg-785153.JPG
View Quote
Tj rubicon. Hard top, hard doors ftw. Anyhow id like to be able to set up on top of mountains i climb with the jeep.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 4:56:36 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I've got nodes saved in my radio, but the radio won't change nodes/rooms using a zumspot.
View Quote
Sorry, misunderstood the problem but maybe the links will help someone looking for rooms. I hope some of the others in the thread can help answer your problem and maybe it's a simple fix.

I used the chart when programming the wife's FT-70R. She's a tech and wanted a small HT. Hard to pass when they had it going for less than the FT-60R.

I'm just learning the digital side of this and plan on ordering a hotspot soon and looking for answers as I go. I can only access 2 repeaters out of 9 listed for Fusion in PHX from my AO so considering adding a hotspot when I save from the Fusion discount buying spree
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 10:27:58 AM EDT
[#36]
So what type of range does these hot spots provide?

This is all new to me.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 10:58:11 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
So what type of range does these hot spots provide?

This is all new to me.
View Quote
They only put out about 10mw or less so it's not very far.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 11:17:37 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

They only put out about 10mw or less so it's not very far.
View Quote
Yep, from my experience if it's on ground level in your house, you might get coverage if you go for a walk around your block.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 11:39:32 AM EDT
[#39]
Was considering putting one on the second story of my work and wondered if it would cover our little town. 300yd radius.

And is a arfcom chat room happening? I find this pretty neat.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 1:42:12 PM EDT
[#40]
as an experiment...I put my jumbospot on my outside antenna, a cheap Jetstream JTB3, and could use it about 950 yards away with my FTM100

Friend of mine put his on a battery, and takes it to work....connected to his iphone's hotspot.

Link Posted: 12/26/2018 3:16:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Attachment Attached File

Zumspot mounted on Raspberry Pi Zero W. The case is from C4labs.com and I power the hotspot with a 5 volt  10000mAh power bank.

KI6ZUM Zumspot kit from HRO

I chose the Zumspot over the Chicom knock off versions MMDVM Pi-hats because I wanted to support a US ham manufacturer over a Chicom eBay vendor. I thought that if there were any issues with it, I could get it replaced much more easily than something bought out of the country.

Attachment Attached File

I also bought another American made dupex hotspot from N5BOC.  I see a DMR HT radio in my future, so with this one you get both time slots.

MMDVM DUPLEX in Pi Zero Form Factor
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 5:18:56 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

as an experiment...I put my jumbospot on my outside antenna, a cheap Jetstream JTB3, and could use it about 950 yards away with my FTM100

Friend of mine put his on a battery, and takes it to work....connected to his iphone's hotspot.

View Quote
When i go back to work tomorrow this will be riding im my truck with me, connected to my phones hotspot.
Temporary setup here with 10000 mah battery. I'm going to order a aluminum project case, 3.5 nextion screen, sma bulkhead connectors, short sma extension cable, and take this 10000mah battery pack and put it all in that aluminum case. Should wind up being a rugged self contained, full featured hotspot.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 11:14:22 AM EDT
[#43]
So which one of these units is the simplest to use out of the box?

I can trouble shoot very minor things but can get frustrated.

I havent played much with anything ham in the past 2 years mainly nfa stuff. This does have my interest and considering buying a new HT the yeasu FT-70DR. Any recommendations or opinions?

I live in NE GA and we have a number of repeaters in our area but none are linked and none offer fusion. (that I can hit with a HT)

I currently see a node about 17 miles from the house probably not going to hit it.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 6:03:55 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I havent played much with anything ham in the past 2 years mainly nfa stuff. This does have my interest and considering buying a new HT the yeasu FT-70DR. Any recommendations or opinions?

I live in NE GA and we have a number of repeaters in our area but none are linked and none offer fusion. (that I can hit with a HT)

I currently see a node about 17 miles from the house probably not going to hit it.
View Quote
None of these hot spots are plug and play. All will require you to have a reasonable amount of patience and be able to follow simple directions. Setup might seem a bit complicated at first, but there are tons of tutorials on YouTube that you can watch to get up and running.

I opted for a couple of US made hot spots over the Chinese clones after reading about the poor quality of the eBay Chicom ripoffs. I felt that paying a few dollars more for peace of mind and customer support was more important that going cheap.

You truly get what you pay for, but for me the KI6ZUM Zumspot and the N5BOC MMDVM duplex version are very high quality. The OpenSpot2 is another great hotspot, but it costs over $200.00 and ships from Estonia.

Zumspot Kit from HRO

N5BOC Store
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 7:21:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
I bought the cheap ebay jumbospot on recommendation of a local ham who's really into this stuff.

ebay link

Setup took me about 25mins, following along with this video.

JumboSpot MMDVM D-Star/DMR/C4FM/P25/NXDN Hotspot Pi-Star
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 9:48:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Hro has the zumspot kit on sale for $109 right now, but it has no case, or display. Not really needed for it to work, but are nice to have.

I use this in place of a display, and to control pi-star when i'm not near my laptop.
Mobile dashboard

Eta: hro in norcross has them in stock, and was next day shipping to nw ga. On sale until 01/03/19
Hro link
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 9:20:51 AM EDT
[#47]
Good call on the Zumspot. You can update the firmware as needed and the quality of the components used to assemble the MMDVM is superior to the Chicom knockoffs.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 3:46:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Zumspot repackaged. 10,000 mah battery, 3.2" nextion display, works awesome with long battery life. Finished it this past weekend.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Eta:i took the goofy looking ht antenna off and put the zumspot antenna back on.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 5:25:12 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Zumspot repackaged. 10,000 mah battery, 3.2" nextion display, works awesome with long battery life. Finished it this past weekend.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/452491/1546458761054_jpg-793867.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/452491/1546458760732_jpg-793868.JPG

Eta:i took the goofy looking ht antenna off and put the zumspot antenna back on.
View Quote
Cool what model radio is that.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 6:07:41 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Cool what model radio is that.
View Quote
Anytone at-d878uv, it's the newer version of the  868 with gps and true aprs
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top