Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/10/2020 11:46:14 AM EDT
I tried a search with no luck!  Does anyone remember or have the plans for the homer buckets filtration system?

thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 12:17:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 1:12:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Just buy a food grade 5 gallon bucket, spigot and a ceramic candle filter.  You will get better water quality with a lot less hassle.

https://stpaulmercantile.com/ceramic-and-carbon-block-filters
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 5:01:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I tried a search with no luck!  Does anyone remember or have the plans for the homer buckets filtration system?

thanks in advance!
View Quote
Homer buckets aren't food grade so you shouldn't be using them to build a water filter.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 6:31:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 7:46:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Homer buckets aren't food grade so you shouldn't be using them to build a water filter.
View Quote
Uh the water goes out the filter

Anyways they would be cleaner than dirty ass ciry water pipes/towers/wells
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 10:37:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Uh the water goes out the filter

Anyways they would be cleaner than dirty ass ciry water pipes/towers/wells
View Quote
Only an idiot would knowingly introduce a contaminant into the water they were trying to filter.  And if doing that isn’t stupid enough (and it is), filters have a finite life.  Adding additional chemicals to the water, just to filter them back out, is going to use up the filter just that much sooner.   Food grade buckets are readily available and there’s no good reason not to use them.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 11:20:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Only an idiot would knowingly introduce a contaminant into the water they were trying to filter.  And if doing that isn’t stupid enough (and it is), filters have a finite life.  Adding additional chemicals to the water, just to filter them back out, is going to use up the filter just that much sooner.   Food grade buckets are readily available and there’s no good reason not to use them.
View Quote
"No good reason"

So tell me what " contaminate" would be added by using a homer bucket vs a food grade bucket before the filter??

Ill be standing by for a logical response.

If you do, please list any/all chems that will be added due to h2o solubility accounting for Ph and temp that won't be taken out by the filter.

Please list as an example "ordinary" contamints used in bucket manf and explain how propogated their use is in the industry.

Can you explain how the ( if any) extra chemicals will affect the filter life. Please express this in a quanity vs time/volume as related to each filter.

If you cannot answer any of this then tell me why you even responded.

You called me a idiot. Lets seehow smart you are.

@beowulf
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 7:32:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

"No good reason"

So tell me what " contaminate" would be added by using a homer bucket vs a food grade bucket before the filter??

Ill be standing by for a logical response.

If you do, please list any/all chems that will be added due to h2o solubility accounting for Ph and temp that won't be taken out by the filter.

Please list as an example "ordinary" contamints used in bucket manf and explain how propogated their use is in the industry.

Can you explain how the ( if any) extra chemicals will affect the filter life. Please express this in a quanity vs time/volume as related to each filter.

If you cannot answer any of this then tell me why you even responded.

You called me a idiot. Lets seehow smart you are.

@beowulf
View Quote
I’m smart enough not to get into an argument with a troll over a self-evident truth.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 3:09:22 PM EDT
[#9]
The virus issue has a lot of folks stressed.

Let's consider what we post and be constructive.

If all one has available is a Homer bucket, then use it.

If a 'food grade' bucket is available, use it.

I expect the difference is the cleaning process when the bucket was mfgr'd, since the plastic markings are the same, but I never saw a specification and don't know.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 9:33:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Right now, getting (some) products isn't a concern. Why improvise? It may be all well and good but if you are going to use "store bought" filters, why wouldn't you just purchase the stainless container too and take away all the questions of safety?
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 10:29:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

"No good reason"

So tell me what " contaminate" would be added by using a homer bucket vs a food grade bucket
View Quote
Muh BPAs.  

I would be more concerned about dirty rocks.

Real, pro-grade water filters aren't that expensive.  Field expedient is one thing, but if you have time and money to prep, buy some decent shit and skip a few Big Macs that month.

I have a dual canister filter system and pump in my office that cost less than $200.  It will remove everything from water, including dye.

Very true point:  filters have a finite life.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 5:33:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Muh BPAs.  

Real, pro-grade water filters aren't that expensive.  Field expedient is one thing, but if you have time and money to prep, buy some decent shit and skip a few Big Macs that month.

I have a dual canister filter system and pump in my office that cost less than $200.  It will remove everything from water, including dye.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"No good reason"

So tell me what " contaminate" would be added by using a homer bucket vs a food grade bucket
Muh BPAs.  

I actually called the company that makes the buckets at HD.  I was asking  for fermenting beer and wine.  They told me that yes, they are food grade, but HD didn't want to pay to market them this way.  That was back 5 - 10 years ago.  Don't thnk that has changed
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 10:21:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Just buy a food grade 5 gallon bucket, spigot and a ceramic candle filter.  You will get better water quality with a lot less hassle.

View Quote
@BFskinner

Looking at the pictures of the ceramic filters, I think I can see a threaded male 'stem' and a few pictures have a corresponding female threaded wingnut/collar looking thing.

Am I seeing that right?

Does this just secure through a hole you'd put in the bucket?

Do rubber washers or O-rings come included to prevent drips and ensure a good seal?
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 11:20:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Instead of Homer buckets, just go buy large stainless steel pots, e.g., turkey frying pots.  There was a thread on arfcom of a guy who moved to Alaska or Northern Idaho, I don't remember which but he built a small cabin off-grid and made is own burkey setup using large cooking/turkey frying pots.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 12:13:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

@BFskinner

Looking at the pictures of the ceramic filters, I think I can see a threaded male 'stem' and a few pictures have a corresponding female threaded wingnut/collar looking thing.

Am I seeing that right?

Do rubber washers or O-rings come included to prevent drips and ensure a good seal?
View Quote
Not bf, but my daton filter did
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 1:00:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Um, Homer buckets are food grade. HDPE 70mil. Go look. The orange buckets are marked same as the white ones HD sells as "food grade" except they're white. And a buck twenty eight more. FDA lists LDPE, HDPE, polyethylene tet, polypropolene, polycarbonate as safe for food contact. The black gamma lids they sell for these buckets are also food grade. The 3.5 gal buckets are more compact, check the height for your filter(s) though. Also food grade.

Use a hole saw to cut the holes in a bucket bottom for the filters. Berkey, whatever. That's your top bucket. Bottom bucket put a spigot near the bottom. Take a lid, cut it out just inside the rim or just enough for the filter outlets to stick through. Top bucket sits on that. Fill it with water. Shazzam.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 2:18:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Instead of Homer buckets, just go buy large stainless steel pots, e.g., turkey frying pots.  There was a thread on arfcom of a guy who moved to Alaska or Northern Idaho, I don't remember which but he built a small cabin off-grid and made is own burkey setup using large cooking/turkey frying pots.
View Quote
Great idea!
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 7:14:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

@BFskinner

Am I seeing that right?

View Quote
I didn't buy the one I have from them.  I noticed they carried them when I purchased a butterfly kero stove a few weeks ago.

The product description indicates the candle comes with a nut and washer for the stem.

So to answer your question you would need two buckets stacked on one another.  The upper with a hole in the bottom for the candle filter and the lower with the spigot that holds the filtered water.  Basically just a plastic version of a Berkey filter.

It looks like St. Paul is running a 20% off special right now on complete stainless steel reservoir systems.   Depending upon your needs you might get off almost as cheap buying a completed one as opposed to DIYing it. My experience in buying the stove from them is that they are GTG as far as in internet vendor.  Very prompt shipping, the stove was double boxed and arrived completely undamaged.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 9:25:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
@BFskinner

Am I seeing that right?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@BFskinner

Am I seeing that right?

Do a search on Youtube for "make your own Berkey" and you will see lots of tutorials on making drip filter systems using plastic pails and the Walmart large metal pots. The hardware is available on Ebay and Amazon.

Full-Auto
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 9:37:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Home Depot Homer buckets are not food grade.  We know this because Home Depot, the only source of reliable information on the subject, says they’re not.  It’s right in the description of the product on the Home Depot web site.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/The-Home-Depot-5-Gal-Homer-Bucket-05GLHD2/100087613

Quoted:
I actually called the company that makes the buckets at HD.  I was asking  for fermenting beer and wine.  They told me that yes, they are food grade, but HD didn't want to pay to market them this way.  That was back 5 - 10 years ago.  Don't thnk that has changed
View Quote
“Food Grade” isn’t about marketing.  It cost more to make a food grade bucket then a non-food grade bucket.  No company interested in making a profit is going to pay extra to make something and then go out of their way not to promote it.  Your story makes no sense

Quoted:
Um, Homer buckets are food grade. HDPE 70mil. Go look. The orange buckets are marked same as the white ones HD sells as "food grade" except they're white. And a buck twenty eight more. FDA lists LDPE, HDPE, polyethylene tet, polypropolene, polycarbonate as safe for food contact. The black gamma lids they sell for these buckets are also food grade. The 3.5 gal buckets are more compact, check the height for your filter(s) though. Also food grade.
View Quote
Um, no they’re not.  The type of plastic it’s made from is not the only thing that makes a bucket food grade.  One of several things that makes a bucket NOT food grade is the dye used.  Buckets can be otherwise identical except for the color and one can be food grade while the other is not.  This information is available all over the internet, go look.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 11:44:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Found what I was looking for.  One of our own Arfcommers built a homemade burkey using 16-quart metal pots and burkey filters.  He gave a brief tutorial in his thread on building a cabin in North Idaho.  here  The posts are about 1/4 way down the page.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top