Site Notices
Posted: 2/18/2020 3:04:41 AM EDT
Home Improvement Stores Denatured -Ethyl-  Alcohol ~$16/gallon

Not gelled.

~100%

Use tap water to dilute.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 4:12:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Disregard. Thought OP was trying to dilute denatured alcohol to drink. Sorry OP seems this is COVID related.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 5:46:18 AM EDT
[#2]
why am i wanting denatured alcohol and why am i watering it down?
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 9:52:45 AM EDT
[#3]
OP, I hope you are NOT suggesting DRINKING denatured alcohol.

If ingested, immediately call a Mortician.

Link Posted: 2/18/2020 10:12:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Denatured means messed with, not natural. Yucky.

From wiki:

...is ethanol that has additives to make it poisonous, bad-tasting, foul-smelling, or nauseating to discourage recreational consumption. It is sometimes dyed so that it can be identified visually. Pyridine, methanol,[2] or both can be added to make denatured alcohol poisonous, and denatonium can be added to make it bitter.

Denatured alcohol is used as a solvent and as fuel for alcohol burners and camping stoves. Because of the diversity of industrial uses for denatured alcohol, hundreds of additives and denaturing methods have been used. The main additive has traditionally been 10% methanol, methyl alcohol, giving rise to the term "methylated spirits". Other typical additives include isopropyl alcohol, acetone, methyl ethyl ketone, and methyl isobutyl ketone.[2]
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 11:50:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
why am i wanting denatured alcohol and why am i watering it down?
View Quote
to get ahead of the panic, so many keep pushing for
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 2:13:32 PM EDT
[#6]
How has this ignoring the panic worked out so far?
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 2:18:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Important info:

- Many regular denatured alcohols are ~50% ethanol with the balance often methanol per the SDS's.  Methanol is pretty toxic and readily absorbs through the skin.

- "Green" denatured alcohol is usually 95% ethanol with a small amount of water & methanol.  This is significantly safer if you intend to use it often with skin contact.
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 2:44:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Important info:

- Many regular denatured alcohols are ~50% ethanol with the balance often methanol per the SDS's.  Methanol is pretty toxic and readily absorbs through the skin.

- "Green" denatured alcohol is usually 95% ethanol with a small amount of water & methanol.  This is significantly safer if you intend to use it often with skin contact.
View Quote
yep its poisonous to use it on the skin, also methanol doesn't kill pathogens as well as ethanol.

last resort, if that
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 3:00:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Don’t use denatured!!! Many times it’s denatured with methyl alcohol.  Methyl is a neurotoxin and can be absorbed though the skin.
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 3:41:06 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm glad for this info.  I was going to get some and mix it with aloe gel.  Not any more.

You could distill out the methanol, since its boiling point of 67.7°C is quite a bit lower than ethanol's 78.24°C

But unless you have a lot of experience with making moonshine, it's probably not worth it.
Link Posted: 3/19/2020 5:48:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm glad for this info.  I was going to get some and mix it with aloe gel.  Not any more.

You could distill out the methanol, since its boiling point of 67.7°C is quite a bit lower than ethanol's 78.24°C

But unless you have a lot of experience with making moonshine, it's probably not worth it.
View Quote
A friend called me 2 weeks ago, said he was mixing up denatured with aloe, and I asked him to review the MSDS for the Home Depot stuff.

Full stop.

We may distill it but I have to get preps [not the usual kind] completed, and get out of Dodge, and it will take a couple more days.

Wish I had worked on all this weeks ago, more heavily than I did.
Link Posted: 3/19/2020 11:48:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Can be used for stoves though. Lots of backpackers use alcohol stoves.
Link Posted: 3/19/2020 12:29:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
It's easier and cheaper to make ethonal.
Unless you use a fractional or a boka you're not separating it with certainty
Link Posted: 3/19/2020 12:35:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Dumb question: Why not use Everclear alcohol from a liquor store? Please don't tell me it's sold out as well. This is what I used to make more hand sanitizer. I always keep Everclear as a part of my preps. It will be the #1 barter item if things get real bad.

BTW, mixing perfectly good ethyl alcohol with poison, should be a felony, a crime against the humanity! LOL.
Link Posted: 3/19/2020 1:14:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Dumb question: Why not use Everclear alcohol from a liquor store? Please don't tell me it's sold out as well. This is what I used to make more hand sanitizer. I always keep Everclear as a part of my preps. It will be the #1 barter item if things get real bad.

BTW, mixing perfectly good ethyl alcohol with poison, should be a felony, a crime against the humanity! LOL.
View Quote
you can, but like most paces its gone.

depending on the state you cannot get the 190 proof stuff anymore. Most went to the 151 and you cannot dilute it that much and be effective.

the govt mandates the denaturing of ethanol, else they gotta get their tax. The govt loves killing poeple
Link Posted: 3/19/2020 2:54:40 PM EDT
[#16]
An alternative to alcohols which are unobtainable, you might find Odoban odor eliminator concentrate has Alkyl dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride 2%.

Dilute to 0.13% for concentration equivalent to Purell hand wipes I see at Home Depot.

Dilute to 0.26% for concentration equivalent to Lysol wipes(for surfaces) we use at home.

It was $9/gallon at Home Depot.

Zep has similar but not identical odor control concentrated disinfectant, best used as surface disinfectant for about the same money at Lowe’s. Still available at my Lowe’s.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top