Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Hogs in the yard (Page 10 of 12)
Page / 12
Link Posted: 12/5/2019 12:41:47 PM EDT
[#1]
And coyotes were $75 or so.

Been feeding the coons so far this week. No sign of piggies the week I was gone or this week so far.

But the deer are starting to come back, so there's that.
Link Posted: 1/8/2020 9:56:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Still nothing, and back at work.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 8:28:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Blind is going up next week.
The wife just got the OK from her Dr. that she can return to all normal activities since her surgery in November.
We've had a small group of three hanging around and a lone boar and his coon.

It'll be nice to get back after a few.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 12:19:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By pasquale91:
Blind is going up next week.
The wife just got the OK from her Dr. that she can return to all normal activities since her surgery in November.
We've had a small group of three hanging around and a lone boar and his coon.

It'll be nice to get back after a few.
View Quote
Glad to hear your wife is better.  Hope you guys have fun out there.

It's been very quiet at my place for a while now.  Foxes showing up from time to time, but so long as they aren't going after my neighbor's chickens I like seeing them and will leave them alone.
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 2:54:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Spent Thursday night in the blind, saw an owl(in daylight) 5 does, a coon, and a skunk.
Nothing else. Will try again next week after the moon starts waning.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 2:19:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Just a boar and his coon, finally been able to make it to the blind since the rain subsided.
Will be back out again this evening.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 10:57:38 PM EDT
[#7]
In for pictures of dead pigs
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 1:51:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Tmm1270:
In for pictures of dead pigs
View Quote

Sorry to provide anything except disappointment.
One owl flew past, and nothing else, no coons, skunks, dillo's, yotes,
babcats, or swine. Nothing.

Lightningbugs were out a plenty though.
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 9:36:44 AM EDT
[#9]

View Quote
Better luck on your next opportunity.

I'm in for dead hog pics also.
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 11:02:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By fulautotank:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By fulautotank:

Yeah I need to check cameras I have been lazy! Better luck next time.
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 1:29:30 PM EDT
[#11]
We'll try again a few nights next week when I get back home too.
Gives us something to do.
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 11:12:26 PM EDT
[#12]
At least you know something is around and there's a reason to be out.  I'm in for the upcoming pics too.  This social distancing has me bored and I need to live though those of you that are able to get out and shoot stuff!
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 9:36:56 AM EDT
[#13]
A boar is coming regularly around 8-9 PM lately.
Go sit out in the bind and sounds like the neighbor up the road is throwing a concert in his backyard.
Called it a night and walked back home, missed a sounder by 40 minutes even with all the commotion going on.
Hopefully better luck next week, back to work for me tonight.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 1:52:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Attachment Attached File

There were 6 on my security camera right outside my backyard Saturday night. Sunday, I was cleaning up and came across half a bag of range cubes that had weevils in it, so I went out back and threw the whole bag in the trap, paper and all. I didn't even set the trigger on door, I just left it open.

I went out last night to check on the trap, these 3 big ones were in there with 4 piglets. In their frenzy, the pushed the gate closed and locked themselves in there. When i walked up to count the pigs, one of those bastards hit the side so hard, they knocked a t-post out of the ground. 3 of the piglets squeezed out while I was trying to dispose of them. I tried to save some money by using 9mm ball instead of hollowpoints, ball ammo sucks.

My trap is beat to shit. I gotta rebuild it heavier with smaller wire at the base. I've caught 8 total this year and I'm not even trying very hard.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 8:10:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By joemama74:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/166748/deadpigsjune20_jpg-1465410.JPG

There were 6 on my security camera right outside my backyard Saturday night. Sunday, I was cleaning up and came across half a bag of range cubes that had weevils in it, so I went out back and threw the whole bag in the trap, paper and all. I didn't even set the trigger on door, I just left it open.

I went out last night to check on the trap, these 3 big ones were in there with 4 piglets. In their frenzy, the pushed the gate closed and locked themselves in there. When i walked up to count the pigs, one of those bastards hit the side so hard, they knocked a t-post out of the ground. 3 of the piglets squeezed out while I was trying to dispose of them. I tried to save some money by using 9mm ball instead of hollowpoints, ball ammo sucks.

My trap is beat to shit. I gotta rebuild it heavier with smaller wire at the base. I've caught 8 total this year and I'm not even trying very hard.
View Quote

I bet the squeals were glorious!!!
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 9:13:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By sparkyD:

View Quote

It is the best part of it!
Glad to see someone putting some down.
Shooting buddy has a 6 week post-op next Wednesday. I think she's wanting to give it a try and head out a night or two.
Link Posted: 6/19/2020 11:39:55 PM EDT
[#17]

Shooting buddy has a 6 week post-op next Wednesday. I think she's wanting to give it a try and head out a night or two.
View All Quotes

Good luck I seen som fresh sign tonight so maybe in a day or two when the rain moves In I might get lucky!
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 9:46:52 AM EDT
[#18]

Good luck I seen som fresh sign tonight so maybe in a day or two when the rain moves In I might get lucky!
View Quote

You and me both hopefully.
Link Posted: 6/21/2020 12:41:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: newBMowner] [#19]
Glad to see some of you guys are making an impact!  

Update...not my yard (thankfully I suppose), but I wanted to post it here because this in my view is a really cool tool to have for pests in the yard.  Couple of weeks ago I snagged a cellular game camera.  Tried it in my yard for one night to make sure it was working.  Then headed out to a buddy's ranch after work.  We set it up at his feeder.  He's been having a lone boar hit his place somewhat infrequently and at all kinds of random times...and since he doesn't live full time on the property it's been hard to bag this guy.  Anyway, we set the camera up go back to his camp house, eat, and chill for a while.  

Just before 1AM, ding...the phone beeps and there's a picture of the boar.  Grabbed our gear and began the 400yd walk to the feeder.  I was the gunner and my buddy was checking the cell phone for updates as we closed in.  Every minute or so he'd say, "just got another pic of him"...then about 200yds out he said the pics stopped coming in.  We figured he wouldn't be there...and sure enough nothing to be seen upon arrival.  He posted up near the feeder to quietly listen and I pushed on to a pond (with a active wallow) about 200yds past the feeder.  It was a really quiet night with almost no wind, and I was walking in tall dry grass (hay field)...so it took a fair amount of time to go 200yds.  Got there, nothing.  Slowly and quietly walked back to my buddy, checked the feeder again with the night vision and then we started the walk back to the camp when all of a sudden the hog walked right out in front of us at about 30yds ...coming from a completely different direction than we were expecting.  He exited the treeline on our left and just as he did I saw him, and he heard us.  He started a fast trot quartering away from us, but amazingly he went out into the open field instead of back into the woods that he came out of only a couple yards behind him.  Flipped on my IR laser and hit him in the pump station with a 110gr TAC-TX at about 50yds...quartering away shot.  Entrance wound in the pic, exit was the opposite armpit/brisket area.

Moral of the story is...these cell cameras are a blast and an awesome tool!  What pushed me to get one was the model I got was $99!  Would have likely never bagged this boar without it.  We would have probably gone and sat in his hot/small blind...watched the feeder until midnight or so, not seen anything, and then called it a night.  But instead we sat in a nice air-conditioned house, watched TV, ate dinner, and then dispatched a pig.  For pests in your backyard...this thing would be priceless.  Huge leap forward in utility compared to the short range pet camera I started this thread using (and doesn't require 110v)

Pics of boar:
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/21/2020 7:39:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By newBMowner:

Update...not my yard (thankfully I suppose), but I wanted to post it here because this in my view is a really cool tool to have for pests in the yard.  Couple of weeks ago I snagged a cellular game camera.  Tried it in my yard for one night to make sure it was working.  Then headed out to a buddy's ranch after work.  We set it up at his feeder.  He's been having a lone boar hit his place somewhat infrequently and at all kinds of random times...and since he doesn't live full time on the property it's been hard to bag this guy.  Anyway, we set the camera up go back to his camp house, eat, and chill for a while.  

Just before 1AM, ding...the phone beeps and there's a picture of the boar.  Grabbed our gear and began the 400yd walk to the feeder.  I was the gunner and my buddy was checking the cell phone for updates as we closed in.  Every minute or so he'd say, "just got another pic of him"...then about 200yds out he said the pics stopped coming in.  We figured he wouldn't be there...and sure enough nothing to be seen upon arrival.  He posted up near the feeder to quietly listen and I pushed on to a pond (with a active wallow) about 200yds past the feeder.  It was a really quiet night with almost no wind, and I was walking in tall dry grass (hay field)...so it took a fair amount of time to go 200yds.  Got there, nothing.  Slowly and quietly walked back to my buddy, checked the feeder again with the night vision and then we started the walk back to the camp when all of a sudden the hog walked right out in front of us at about 30yds ...coming from a completely different direction than we were expecting.  He exited the treeline on our left and just as he did I saw him, and he heard us.  He started a fast trot quartering away from us, but amazingly he went out into the open field instead of back into the woods that he came out of only a couple yards behind him.  Flipped on my IR laser and hit him in the pump station with a 110gr TAC-TX at about 50yds...quartering away shot.  Entrance wound in the pic, exit was the opposite armpit/brisket area.

Moral of the story is...these cell cameras are a blast and an awesome tool!  What pushed me to get one was the model I got was $99!  Would have likely never bagged this boar without it.  We would have probably gone and sat in his hot/small blind...watched the feeder until midnight or so, not seen anything, and then called it a night.  But instead we sat in a nice air-conditioned house, watched TV, ate dinner, and then dispatched a pig.  For pests in your backyard...this thing would be priceless.  Huge leap forward in utility compared to the pet camera I started this thread using (and doesn't require 110v)

Pics of boar:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/119115/HogCellCam_JPG-1470341.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/119115/boar1_JPG-1470342.JPG
View Quote

Nice Work, I take it you're using NVG's too?
Link Posted: 6/21/2020 8:31:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Yes...also have a thermal on my rifle now that has a recording capability, but it happened so fast I didn't have time to power it up to get any video Just reached down, flipped on the laser, and popped the hog.  My buddy has a couple of NV scopes but is seriously thinking about a head mounted NV monocular now after seeing how useful it is in situations like we got into.
Link Posted: 6/21/2020 11:31:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Yes...also have a thermal on my rifle now that has a recording capability, but it happened so fast I didn't have time to power it up to get any video Just reached down, flipped on the laser, and popped the hog.  My buddy has a couple of NV scopes but is seriously thinking about a head mounted NV monocular now after seeing how useful it is in situations like we got into.
View Quote

What did you get for your rifle? We're looking for a hand-held Thermal for use at our place.
Link Posted: 6/21/2020 12:02:09 PM EDT
[#23]

View All Quotes

Moral of the story is...these cell cameras are a blast and an awesome tool!  What pushed me to get one was the model I got was $99!  Would have likely never bagged this boar without it.  We would have probably gone and sat in his hot/small blind...watched the feeder until midnight or so, not seen anything, and then called it a night.  But instead we sat in a nice air-conditioned house, watched TV, ate dinner, and then dispatched a pig.  For pests in your backyard...this thing would be priceless.  Huge leap forward in utility compared to the pet camera I started this thread using (and doesn't require 110v)

Pics of boar:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/119115/HogCellCam_JPG-1470341.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/119115/boar1_JPG-1470342.JPG

X2! The cellular game cameras are nice. Except when you have twenty coons fighting under the feeder!
Link Posted: 6/21/2020 8:32:43 PM EDT
[#24]

X2! The cellular game cameras are nice. Except when you have twenty coons fighting under the feeder!
View Quote

Haha!  Yeah...but the cellular game camera can help you eliminate those pests easier too  

Cellular Game Camera + Shotgun/Pheasant load
Link Posted: 6/21/2020 8:38:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: newBMowner] [#25]

What did you get for your rifle? We're looking for a hand-held Thermal for use at our place.
View Quote

I had an opportunity fall into my lap so I didn't have a chance to "pick" what I would in a normal purchase of that significance.  Used FLIR PTS233.  $1150 out the door (so basically half price).  So far I've been really happy with it, but not knowing the history it could decide to crap the bed on me any day.  But, you don't find that level of performance for that money very often so I took the risk.  Original owner sold it to the store where he upgraded to one of the high end Pulsars.  The store was a small shop that probably wanted cash now rather than waiting for top dollar.  Looks to have been not used very much and came with the box and all it would have if sold new.  I alternate between using it mounted on a rifle and using it as a scanner.  I really need to save for another thermal and not have to bounce between the two setups.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 4:14:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: pasquale91] [#26]

I had an opportunity fall into my lap so I didn't have a chance to "pick" what I would in a normal purchase of that significance.  Used FLIR PTS233.  $1150 out the door (so basically half price).  So far I've been really happy with it, but not knowing the history it could decide to crap the bed on me any day.  But, you don't find that level of performance for that money very often so I took the risk.  Original owner sold it to the store where he upgraded to one of the high end Pulsars.  The store was a small shop that probably wanted cash now rather than waiting for top dollar.  Looks to have been not used very much and came with the box and all it would have if sold new.  I alternate between using it mounted on a rifle and using it as a scanner.  I really need to save for another thermal and not have to bounce between the two setups.
View Quote

Nice! thanks for the info.

eta. yeah, that is quite the deal.
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 12:24:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: newBMowner] [#27]
So......yesterday I got home from work and noticed some damage in the backyard.  Dang, hogs are back.  It's been a long time since I had any problems here at the house.  

Check the game camera (regular one I run all the time out back) and there is a lone boar on it.  Moved my cellular game camera from my driveway to overlooking the destroyed area of the backyard (just outside my fenced in smaller yard).  

Ding, 1:15AM phone beeps and I have a pic of the boar.

Roll out of bed...jeans/boots/helmet/rifle were already ready to go.  Head to the hallway and turn down my a/c about 5 degrees to ensure it runs solid for a while (I find this provides nice background noise to cover my sounds once I'm outside).  Check through windows, yep...hog's still there.  

Lights out, and I slip out the back door.  Fired up the FLIR and started recording, then turned on the IR laser.  Got right up on this guy.   Maybe 5yds.  Wouldn't have gotten that close but I didn't want to risk shooting through my new fence.  I actually had to make a little noise intentionally once I got right up on him to get him to move further away from me so I could shoot.  Figured he would run and he did.  Popped him in the heart with a 190gr Sub-X as he was in a run quartering away from me.  He dropped dead just as the video ends.  Didn't even wake up my closest neighbor's dogs outside.  Love 300blk for times like this.  If you look closely you can see the hot blood from the impact show up in the FLIR behind his shoulder as he runs off.  

@bullf-16 & @texassooner, you guys will like this one

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/26/2020 9:57:27 AM EDT
[#28]
Nice!
We had a good evening also!
Out to the blind at 8PM yesterday evening. Lone boar came out at 8:40, didn't get a shot.
Just before dusk at 9PM three boars walk out of the trees and head straight to the corn.
A short count and 5 shots later, two DRT, one thrashing around in the bushes.
TheMrs. got the big hoss, hit him right in the melon, the other was right behind the ear.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 11:04:01 AM EDT
[#29]
Nice!  It’s good when they come to you!
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 11:22:26 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By texassooner:
Nice!  It’s good when they come to you!
View Quote

Yes it is!
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 11:40:27 AM EDT
[#31]
So......yesterday I got home from work and noticed some damage in the backyard.  Dang, hogs are back.  It's been a long time since I had any problems here at the house.  

Check the game camera (regular one I run all the time out back) and there is a lone boar on it.  Moved my cellular game camera from my driveway to overlooking the destroyed area of the backyard (just outside my fenced in smaller yard).  

Ding, 1:15AM phone beeps and I have a pic of the boar.  Roll out of bed...jeans/boots/helmet/rifle were already ready to go.  Head to the hallway and turn down my a/c about 5 degrees to ensure it runs solid for a while (I find this provides nice background noise to cover my sounds once I'm outside).  Check through windows, yep...hog's still there.  

Lights out, and I slip out the back door.  Fired up the FLIR and started recording, then turned on the IR laser.  Got right up on this guy.   Maybe 5yds.  Wouldn't have gotten that close but I didn't want to risk shooting through my new fence haha.  I actually had to make a little noise intentionally once I got right up on him to get him to move further away from me so I could shoot.  Figured he would run and he did.  Popped him in the heart with a 190gr Sub-X as he was in a run quartering away from me.  He dropped dead just as the video ends.  Didn't even wake up my closest neighbor's dogs outside.  Love 300blk for times like this.  If you look closely you can see the hot blood from the impact show up in the FLIR behind his shoulder as he runs off.  

@bullf-16 & @texassooner, you guys will like this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZvxUIQS5W4

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/119115/hog_190gr_JPG-1477247.JPG

View Quote

Link Posted: 6/27/2020 9:30:08 AM EDT
[#32]
Nice!
We had a good evening also!
Out to the blind at 8PM yesterday evening. Lone boar came out at 8:40, didn't get a shot.
Just before dusk at 9PM three boars walk out of the trees and head straight to the corn.
A short count and 5 shots later, two DRT, one thrashing around in the bushes.
TheMrs. got the big hoss, hit him right in the melon, the other was right behind the ear.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/202842/73138409_266956604373594_702069656306467-1477500.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/202842/104939157_558047721744868_52803835194582-1477501.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/202842/105007960_1603410489827848_1668168892871-1477503.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/202842/105507222_591457161781592_38911961696186-1477504.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/202842/105031526_273228977350417_69961712907260-1477508.JPG
View Quote

Nice Job and extra points while wearing flip flops!
Link Posted: 6/27/2020 10:32:14 AM EDT
[#33]

Nice Job and extra points while wearing flip flops!
View Quote

Comfort is paramount my friend.
Link Posted: 6/27/2020 11:32:55 AM EDT
[#34]
Pulled these off the game cam. Before and after....
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/27/2020 7:14:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: newBMowner] [#35]
Way to go!!!! outstanding work

That one your wife got is huge.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 7:33:26 AM EDT
[#36]
I've posted on this site for a while, but never much about my own yard.  So, for the last few years we've had hogs pass through and show up sporadically several times a week and then disappear for months.  The last time I saw any on my game camera was back in November.  Checked the game camera today and over the last 4 days we've had a group of 21 hogs show up twice...one occasion was around 5:30 in the evening (surprised none of us saw them!).  This group appears to have a couple sows, a boar, and about 18 (best I can count) little ones in it.
View Quote

CHOOT EM CHOOT EM
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 10:19:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Just got a phone call from the blind. The wife went out on her own tonight.
4 shots, three heard hits, one dragging itself in the woods, one flopping a little further than that.
Link Posted: 7/16/2020 9:36:52 PM EDT
[#38]
4 shots, three heard hits, one dragging itself in the woods, one flopping a little further than that.
View Quote

Sweet! It's so Hot here I think they done migrated North.
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 11:59:53 PM EDT
[#39]
View Quote

Nice!  Your wife knows how to take care of business!
Link Posted: 7/22/2020 12:02:17 AM EDT
[#40]
Had a conga line of 5 raccoons cross my driveway last night.  I think it might be time to put the fear back into them.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 1:00:28 PM EDT
[#41]
We now have piglets.
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 6:50:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Just got these sent to me, they're coming early for some free food.
Told the wife to keep putting out corn every evening.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Got to be at least 20 piglets for 3 sows.
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 1:54:07 AM EDT
[#43]
You need to give your wife the green light on that invasion force!
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 3:49:30 AM EDT
[#44]
View Quote

If she'll wait till Tuesday, we have a better chance to knock all three sows.
If not, it'll be determined how much "weekend noise" the neighbors make.
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 10:20:22 AM EDT
[#45]

View All Quotes

Are we going to be in for a tannerite claymore video?
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 2:39:38 PM EDT
[#46]

Are we going to be in for a tannerite claymore video?
View Quote

I don't know if you could find any of that on the shelf either.
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 9:22:18 PM EDT
[#47]
I'm pretty ticked off tonight.
The wife went out to re-bait and decided to pop into the blind the check things.
Found this.
Attachment Attached File

Neither of us consume any alcohol before or during any hunting or handling firearms.
I know have a cam inside the blind and a invisible IR set up outside facing the blind.
I never thought any of my neighbors would do anything as stupid as this.
But if they'll do it once, the temptation is there to do it again.
Now I get to check fence when I get home Tuesday.
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 9:34:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: newBMowner] [#48]
The wife went out to re-bait and decided to pop into the blind the check things.
Found this.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/202842/120367288_354028879287503_64198351950908-1608659.JPG
Neither of us consume any alcohol before or during any hunting or handling firearms.
I know have a cam inside the blind and a invisible IR set up outside facing the blind.
View Quote

Somebody is brazen and stupid.  I'd be pissed too.  Good luck with that situation.
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 9:52:53 PM EDT
[#49]
Found this.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/202842/120367288_354028879287503_64198351950908-1608659.JPG
View Quote

Might not be hunting?
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 10:04:06 PM EDT
[#50]

Might not be hunting?
View Quote

Just being assholes and trespassers, they'll get theirs.
Page / 12
Hogs in the yard (Page 10 of 12)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top