Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/23/2019 6:59:01 AM EDT
The part of the county in NC my son and I hunt “don’t have hogs”. We started getting this one on video a couple of weeks ago. After several long nights sitting in the blind my son made what looked to be a great shot on this hog. He was shooting a .308 AR10 loaded with 150gr Nosler Accubond bullets. He shot the hog between the eyes. He kept the light and gun pointed at the hog until he thought it had expired. When he turned the light off, the hog jumped up and ran. We tracked the hog approximately 500 yards to a point where he entered a river to never be found.

Link Posted: 3/23/2019 8:02:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
The part of the county in NC my son and I hunt “don’t have hogs”. We started getting this one on video a couple of weeks ago. After several long nights sitting in the blind my son made what looked to be a great shot on this hog. He was shooting a .308 AR10 loaded with 150gr Nosler Accubond bullets. He shot the hog between the eyes. He kept the light and gun pointed at the hog until he thought it had expired. When he turned the light off, the hog jumped up and ran. We tracked the hog approximately 500 yards to a point where he entered a river to never be found.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VgVbZRp7N8
View Quote

Zombie hog!  
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VgVbZRp7N8
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 8:13:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Had about the same thing happen once.  Shot a deer between the eyes with a 22 hornet.  Tipped right over stiff as a board, no movement for 15 minutes.  Walked out to get it and was about 15' from when it jumped up and took off running
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 9:18:48 AM EDT
[#3]
WTF!?
That's too funny, he just got up and walked away like nothing happened.
At least you guys found him though.
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 9:30:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
WTF!?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
WTF!?

Quoted:
We tracked the hog approximately 500 yards to a point where he entered a river to never be found.
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 9:56:39 AM EDT
[#5]
The hog had time to reboot.
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 10:14:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Should have popped a second shot on him while he was flopping around - clearly wasnt a clean shot/kill.
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 10:18:18 AM EDT
[#7]

Should've popped it a few more times while it was down.

Someone else here headshot one with a .308 before and it took off.
He killed the following year or two and the skull had healed where he hit it previously.
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 8:35:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Should have popped a second shot on him while he was flopping around - clearly wasnt a clean shot/kill.
View Quote
It’s not uncommon at all for an animal to flop around or run off even with a fatal shot placement. If you notice the weapon mounted light is on the hog, thus gun pointed at the hog. When it appeared that the hog had expired, only then did my son turn the light off. Yes, hindsight says he should have put another shot in the hog. If I had stopped the video when my son turned off the light, you would have thought it “clearly was a clean shot/kill”.
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 10:11:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Even I wouldve assumed that one dead. Though generally I let them expire all the way before approaching.

What kind of camera was mounted to capture this?
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 10:17:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Arlo Go....I use it like a trail camera. This thing catches stuff that a trail cam doesn’t. The camera was about 5 yards from the hog, my son was to the left about 80 yards.
Link Posted: 3/25/2019 10:19:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Between the eyes isn't where you shoot them, especially from an elevated position. The bullet doesn't make it to the brain. Draw an imaginary line from the left ear to the right eye and right ear to the left eye. Put the bullet where those lines cross.
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 12:15:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Very similar thing happened to me several years ago.  Even was with a 150gr Accubond...although that's just a coincidence.  The accubond has been a fantastic performer.  Anyway, shot the hog in the video and immediately moved to try and get a shot off at another hog out of the adjacent window in my blind.  Camera captured the first hog shake it off and run away.  About a year later I shot several hogs one evening from the same blind.  A week after that when I was checking the area I found the skull of one that had a hole in it's head that was healed up.  Didn't notice it when I shot the hogs, but I did not make head shots on any of them and this one appeared to have bone that looked to be healed to some extent.  The crazy thing had survived! ...at least until I unknowingly shot him for the second time.  Here is the video and a pic of the skull that I recovered.

Attachment Attached File

He's the closer one in this pic
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 7:44:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Very similar thing happened to me several years ago.  Even was with a 150gr Accubond...although that's just a coincidence.  The accubond has been a fantastic performer.  Anyway, shot the hog in the video and immediately moved to try and get a shot off at another hog out of the adjacent window in my blind.  Camera captured the first hog shake it off and run away.  About a year later I shot several hogs one evening from the same blind.  A week after that when I was checking the area I found the skull of one that had a hole in it's head that was healed up.  Didn't notice it when I shot the hogs, but I did not make head shots on any of them and this one appeared to have bone that looked to be healed to some extent.  The crazy thing had survived! ...at least until I unknowingly shot him for the second time.  Here is the video and a pic of the skull that I recovered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzT33sEhQ20

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/119115/Skull_JPG-896008.JPG

He's the closer one in this pic
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/119115/Bounce_Hog_JPG-896009.JPG
View Quote
I would have loved to have seen the wound from that shot. You're right, it does look like it healed some so he probably lived for a while after. The shot placement is pretty close to perfect. I'd like to know if that was the one in a million shot that hit just right and skipped off its skull or if it just rode right under the skull and minimized damage to the brain. Could you see inside the skull to see if there was internal damage?
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 9:17:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
That is crazy! My son said he put the cross-hairs right between the hogs eyes and did not compensate for the POI being about 1 1/2" high at that distance. I bet he hit his hog in nearly the exact same spot. Thanks for sharing your story and I will certainly share your post with him.
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 11:48:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Marlin670, your son's shot to me is more impressive of a hog survival story...glancing from the front like that is wild!  And he stayed down longer than mine did.

It was a side shot on mine..you could see dust fly in the distance behind the hog .  100% glancing shot although at the time I made the shot I didn't realize this because I was already moving my eyes in the direction of another hog off to my left.

It was almost exactly a year later when I finally (unknowingly at the time) killed him for good.  I shot him (along with 4 other hogs that evening) with not a ton of daylight left and I let the buzzards have them...so I didn't pay any attention to areas of them that I didn't hit with a bullet that day...although there wasn't any obvious signs of a previous injury to the head.  I would probably have noticed that.

I've actually had 3 hogs run off in this manner...side shot on the head resulting in an immediate drop.   When they do there is no blood trail.  This one was the only one I got on video, and the only one I actually got to see run off.  He's also the only one I know for sure survived long term (since I later killed him and found the healed impact on the skull).

Edit: Figured I owed it to you guys to go dig up the full video and post it up.  It shows a better representation of how long the hog was down before he got up and ran off...also there's some pretty crazy pissed off hog sounds in it!
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 2:31:03 AM EDT
[#16]
This has happened to me plenty of times.  Not to mention all the old lead from fresh corpses etc.

The worst was when one came alive as I was sticking it with a Kbar in the armpit.  My kid was standing right by me and thought I was joking around as I rode around on the back of an angry pig but let me tell you, I was hanging on to that sow's ear so hard my hand hurt afterwards. The only thing I could do was lift it up by the ear so it couldn't touch the ground with its front feet and stab it to death. So from my kids point of view, dad was dancing around with a pig walking on its back feet hold an ear with one hand and stabbing with the other. LOL
At some point I had to drop the knife to keep it from biting the crap out of me and held on to both ears like riding a piggy motor bike until she ran out of blood.

She left me a little scar on my knee and a I gained 32 awesome points in the eyes of my daughter.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 7:31:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
This has happened to me plenty of times.  Not to mention all the old lead from fresh corpses etc.

The worst was when one came alive as I was sticking it with a Kbar in the armpit.  My kid was standing right by me and thought I was joking around as I rode around on the back of an angry pig but let me tell you, I was hanging on to that sow's ear so hard my hand hurt afterwards. The only thing I could do was lift it up by the ear so it couldn't touch the ground with its front feet and stab it to death. So from my kids point of view, dad was dancing around with a pig walking on its back feet hold an ear with one hand and stabbing with the other. LOL
At some point I had to drop the knife to keep it from biting the crap out of me and held on to both ears like riding a piggy motor bike until she ran out of blood.

She left me a little scar on my knee and a I gained 32 awesome points in the eyes of my daughter.
View Quote
LOL! That right there is why I treat a hog like it's alive until I know it's dead. When I walk up on a "downed hog", I approach it just like I would a hog that's alive. I drop my left knee onto its neck, grab the bottom front leg and pull it up, then stick it through the front of its chest.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 9:07:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
Holy $&!@!!!!  
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 12:24:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

LOL! That right there is why I treat a hog like it's alive until I know it's dead. When I walk up on a "downed hog", I approach it just like I would a hog that's alive. I drop my left knee onto its neck, grab the bottom front leg and pull it up, then stick it through the front of its chest.
View Quote
"Constant exposure to dangers will breed contempt for them." Lucius Annaeus Seneca

I got sloppy.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 2:33:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
"Constant exposure to dangers will breed contempt for them." Lucius Annaeus Seneca

I got sloppy.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I got sloppy.
Lol! It happens. I just remember seeing my dad get careless while trying to tie a big sow and having it stand up with him on its back. That was an amusing show. It was a sow, so we weren't too worried about him getting hurt and we had the dogs held back. He was more worried about a dog messing up and getting him than he was about the sow, so he was yelling at us to keep the dogs back as he was going round and round.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top