Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/19/2020 8:22:14 AM EDT
I wear a size 12 EE (or 12 wide) shoe. So I have a bit of trouble finding hiking shoes/boots that actually fit.

Had a pair of Hi-Tec Bandera Low that fit at first, they lasted about a year before the sides of both shoes ripped out at the sole.

Currently I've got a pair of Columbias, don't remember what model. So far so good, but I've only had them a few months.

I'd love to try some Salomons but everything I've read about them says they run narrow to SUPER narrow. Which won't work for me.

Anyone else out there in the same boat? What works for you?
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 8:46:18 AM EDT
[#1]
i buy cabelas brands for hikers/walkers i wear a 10.5 EEE and usually order the EEEE if they have it.

for boots currently red wings
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 9:00:37 AM EDT
[#2]
It’s all in the last, which is the part that is effectively the sole and determines the shape of the box.

I called Danner and asked why the Acadia EE won’t even get on my foot yet the Pronghorn fits so well that I want to wear them to bed.  They explained the last, and that the Acadia has a narrow last (duh, even for EE?  Makes no sense but now I understand).  Danner was then able to recommend other boots based on the same last.

Just spent four days in US made Rocky S2V EE and they were fabulous, though bigger and heavy.

For lightweight hikers I have Merrills I buy on closeout and when they blow out they get thrown away.

You can try Solomon or Asolo, but might want to call the company first and ask about their widest last.  Or call Danner like I did and see what they recommend, at least they knew what they were talking about.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 9:40:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I wear a size 12 EE (or 12 wide) shoe. So I have a bit of trouble finding hiking shoes/boots that actually fit.

Had a pair of Hi-Tec Bandera Low that fit at first, they lasted about a year before the sides of both shoes ripped out at the sole.

Currently I've got a pair of Columbias, don't remember what model. So far so good, but I've only had them a few months.

I'd love to try some Salomons but everything I've read about them says they run narrow to SUPER narrow. Which won't work for me.

Anyone else out there in the same boat? What works for you?
View Quote
My feet are 11.5 EE and I LOVE my Salomon's. They make wide sizes which fit me perfectly. Built amazingly well which results in roughly 2 years of hard use before replacement. Worth every penny spent on them.

ETA: Disclaimer: I don't do extensive hiking in them so this is more of a daily wear perspective. However, I don't live in a subdivision and they are the necessary style of footwear for maintaining my property.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 9:57:08 AM EDT
[#4]
It depends on where your feet are wide. Mine are wide at the toes and my Asolo Fugitive GTX in wide width fit like a dream. So do my Asolo Alta Via GV mountaineering boots (not wide width.) I also have wide Lowa Camino GTX that fit perfectly. Keen tends to fit me well, too, I’ve had Targhee, Voyageur Low (shoes), Koven Polar, and Summit County. What else....Salewa Mountain Trainer in wide, Oboz Sawtooth Low (shoes) in wide.

If you have an REI near you or don’t mind ordering multiple times online, use their 1-year warranty period to find a pair that fits great, then return them and buy from someplace that isn’t anti-gun. Or at least not so in your face about it. Kittery Trading Post in Kittery ME is a hunting/fishing/outdoors store to rival LL Bean or Cabela’s and is obviously not anti-gun, see if they have what works for you.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 3:27:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I am not hardcore, but the Merrill wide hiking boots i have are comfortable and work well for me.  Not super expensive either ($100-150)
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 9:27:27 PM EDT
[#6]
A running shoe store may be the best place to find an appropriate trailer runner.   Find a store that will take the time to analyze your use, foot, gait, stride, and measure your size....and then provide options to try on based on those parameters.

If you tell them 12EE and they simply bring you what they have in 12EE find another store.

Outdoor stores seem to be staffed by drones.   I've not had luck finding hiking shoes/boots recently.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 10:06:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It depends on where your feet are wide. Mine are wide at the toes and my Asolo Fugitive GTX in wide width fit like a dream. So do my Asolo Alta Via GV mountaineering boots (not wide width.) I also have wide Lowa Camino GTX that fit perfectly. Keen tends to fit me well, too, I've had Targhee, Voyageur Low (shoes), Koven Polar, and Summit County. What else....Salewa Mountain Trainer in wide, Oboz Sawtooth Low (shoes) in wide.

If you have an REI near you or don't mind ordering multiple times online, use their 1-year warranty period to find a pair that fits great, then return them and buy from someplace that isn't anti-gun. Or at least not so in your face about it. Kittery Trading Post in Kittery ME is a hunting/fishing/outdoors store to rival LL Bean or Cabela's and is obviously not anti-gun, see if they have what works for you.
View Quote
Hehe....closest REI is in Austin, but if I'm going that far I'll just go a bit farther south to Cabela's in Buda. Good trick though

Thanks for the link to Kittery, they have a decent selection in wide sizes. Will have to see what Cabela's has that I can try out in person. Buying shoes online just seems weird to me....shoes are one thing you kinda have to try on before you buy 'em, to me. But maybe I'll have good luck if I try it.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 10:08:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Depending on how serious of a hiker you are looking for look at the following brands.  
When I was in the business New Balance and Red Wing Boots were made in the USA.

New Balance - 6E
Red Wing Boots - H width
Danner Boots run wide and make a few wides in specific styles
Wolverine Boots used to make some fairly wide sizes
Keen makes a wide with their styles being wide already but not sure it would be a 2E width but might work for you.

Other companies which make some good shoes in widths but not much for hiking industry.
Clarks - Casual Shoes
SAS (San Antonio Shoes) - Casual / Walking / Dress Shoes

Hope it helps give you some options.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 11:24:02 AM EDT
[#9]
I wear a 12 in keen boots and a 12 wide in asolo.  Both fit well.  I find that REI has folks that know how to fit shoes/boots.  And they have a better return policy than most shops.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 10:32:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I am not hardcore, but the Merrill wide hiking boots i have are comfortable and work well for me.  Not super expensive either ($100-150)
View Quote
While I like Merrill Mids and they are very comfortable, I have found them to be very poorly constructed. I've had 3 pairs and all 3 have failed and fallen apart in 6-8 months. You're lucky if they're "waterproof" for more than 3 months.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 10:54:25 AM EDT
[#11]
I am also a 12w or ee... and all I wear are normal size Salomons, for 10 years now.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 10:42:58 PM EDT
[#12]
I have wide feet, I have gone to Altra's for shoes. They have a wide toe box to start with.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 9:33:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have wide feet, I have gone to Altra's for shoes. They have a wide toe box to start with.
View Quote
I have feet like a duck, with high insteps to boot. The only boots that have ever been truly comfortable for me are customs by Russell Moccasin. They feel like I'm just wearing socks. I've sent them back to be resoled twice.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 7:37:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Keen
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 12:15:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Any good online source for Salomon  ?
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 12:40:35 PM EDT
[#16]
https://www.lemsshoes.com/
I have three pairs of their shoes. Minimalist with zero drop too. For outdoors I have the first edition Primal which have held up extremely well - want to try the Trailhead or Mesa next. It is hard for me to consider something else at this point.
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 3:52:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Any good online source for Salomon  ?
View Quote
experticity if you can get in...but try the boots on someplace local or easily returnable before ordering through the program...
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 4:52:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Depending on how serious of a hiker you are looking for look at the following brands.  
When I was in the business New Balance and Red Wing Boots were made in the USA.

New Balance - 6E
Red Wing Boots - H width
Danner Boots run wide and make a few wides in specific styles
Wolverine Boots used to make some fairly wide sizes
Keen makes a wide with their styles being wide already but not sure it would be a 2E width but might work for you.

Other companies which make some good shoes in widths but not much for hiking industry.
Clarks - Casual Shoes
SAS (San Antonio Shoes) - Casual / Walking / Dress Shoes

Hope it helps give you some options.
View Quote
Unfortunately, you have to check each model individually for origin as Redwing has been making boots in both the US and China for many years now. In my experience, they don't hold up as well as their American made models, and you're still paying an American boot price.

I do miss their little catalog, though. It had a nice index in the back that listed all of their different lasts and which boots were built on each last. It made it much easier to narrow down which boots to try on, and which to dismiss right away.
Link Posted: 3/7/2020 9:05:10 PM EDT
[#19]
OP I wear about the same size and found luxurious comfort in a pair of Keen Durand Mid WP, size 12 wide. They are USA made and retail about $180.

I've worn them on several 3-4 day trips and even a week long trip in the Grand Canyon. I always do two pairs of socks, a super thin and a mid weight, both wool. Doing this, I have had no blisters and I only change the outer socks every 2-3 days when backpacking.

These boots are incredibly comfortable. Unfortunately, Keen recently redesigned them and launched the Durand Mid WP II, but I'd give the new design a shot.

If I can find a supply of the older ones at a reasonable price, I plan to stockpile them.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 8:43:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Altra for trail runners/hikers. Wide toe box but also make widths.

Keen for boots. Slightly wider but also come in widths.

Asolo and Salomon both tend to run a bit narrow.

Would be good to go to REI since you can get fitted and the return policy is worth it.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 11:02:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Altra for trail runners/hikers. Wide toe box but also make widths.

Keen for boots. Slightly wider but also come in widths.

Asolo and Salomon both tend to run a bit narrow.

Would be good to go to REI since you can get fitted and the return policy is worth it.
View Quote
Agree completely!

I'd add HiTec for boots also
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 6:06:51 AM EDT
[#22]
I've had good luck with Danner and Vasque. My wife wears Keen. We both have wide feet (EE).

Just to set expectations, hiking boots should last about 1000 miles. If you're wearing the boots daily and hiking 3 miles/day after work, you're going to wear out a pair of boots in 10 months or so. The guys who through-hike the ACT/PCT/CDT usually go through three sets of shoots/boots during a hike.

ETA: 2E is not that wide. When I was a fat little kid I was wearing 4E's, dropped down to D's in college when I lost the weight, and now I'm a middle-aged EE.
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 6:56:56 AM EDT
[#23]
My feet are EEE width.

For trail running shoes New Balance.  They make up to 6E.  I've worn NB for decades because they were the only running shoe that would fit my feet.
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 1:02:23 PM EDT
[#24]
My wife bought me a pair of Columbia Newton Ridge hiking boots a few weeks ago, and once broken in, they fit my wide feet like they were made for me. Reasonably priced, decent looking, and they seem to get favorable reviews for hiking boots in the sub-$100 range.

I wear Keen boots for work, and they're also a good choice since they're wide in the toe box. They seem to be a bit heavier than comparable steel toe boots from other companies, but it's not like I have to jog in them.
Link Posted: 3/21/2020 1:33:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Altra lone peak
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 8:51:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Altra Lone Peaks... I've got wide toes, narrow mid foot and they fit like a dream.
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 7:11:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Altra lone peak
View Quote

My Altras are wide enough but they are really beating up my feet around the ball behind the big toe. They are rapidly becoming a "wear to the grocery store but not the trail" shoes.

Vasque are heavier but they have always fit well.
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 7:42:56 PM EDT
[#28]
I wear 11.5W and have tried several boots over the years.  I have great luck with my Danner Ft. Lewis for a duty boot.  I tried their Mountain Light (I believe this is the model) and the heal/ankle lost support after one summer.  

For personal use I have used Vasque but found the soles blew out near the heal after 1-1.5 years.  I stepped up to Asolo boots and got just over 2 years out of them.  When it came time for new boots I found the Asolos were no longer comfortable for my foot.  I spent quite a bit of time at my local place, but they helped out quite a bit and I settled on Zamberland and will be buying another pair in a few weeks.  

Find a good local place and support them.  Mine is not far off from pricing elsewhere.  

Mike
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 7:54:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

My Altras are wide enough but they are really beating up my feet around the ball behind the big toe. They are rapidly becoming a "wear to the grocery store but not the trail" shoes.

Vasque are heavier but they have always fit well.
View Quote

I hope mine don't go that route. They're ugly as all hell.

I've got 50 trouble free miles on mine with ultralight packs.
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 11:58:38 AM EDT
[#30]
Merrell.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top