Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/28/2024 1:03:40 PM EDT
Reasonable price is a bonus.  
It is for the house in the mountains so it does not need to be compact.
The more throw the better.  
Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 1:06:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: StromBusa] [#1]
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 1:44:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Check out candle power forum. More flashlight info than you could ever want.
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 7:44:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Infinity X1 5000L from Costco.
USB rechargeable or AA batteries.

https://www.costco.com/infinity-x1-5000l-dual-power-focusing-flashlight.product.4000181342.html

ThruNite Catapult Mini
It is only about 680 lumens but it is like a mini lightsaber.

ThruNite Catapult

Amazon Product
  • Please note that the new Catapult Pro SFT70 has a slight difference in max output & beam distance than the old one because of the new update of the latest LED.

Link Posted: 1/28/2024 10:07:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Prob not what you’re looking for since it’s compact and not reasonably priced but the mod lite I’ve been carrying in my pocket for two or three years has a ton of throw.  200 yards easy but runs out of gas before 400 yards
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 12:34:55 AM EDT
[#5]
I don’t know much about flashlight specs, but we have two of these Acebeams that have been the best flashlights we have ever had.  Almost 3 years old and used daily.  I replaced the rechargeable battery in one last summer.  Different settings, but I think max is 4,000 lumen.

Acebeams were recommended in a previous thread.  Well worth the money for about $100 each.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/29/2024 12:49:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Eh... "more throw the better" starts getting to be not so good when you get into LEPs ("white laser" flashlights.)

There's units out there that will throw for miles... with a whopping 10 foot spot at that distance they're not all
the great for practical reasons.

I second the suggestion to check out candlepowerforums.
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 11:45:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Got this for my girlfriend to use for checking the woods behind her house. Works great.

Amazon Product
  • TEN-TAP programming; choice of three operating modes; 1) high/Strobe/low; 2) high only; 3) low/medium/high
  • Multi-fuel; high lumen flashlight
  • Includes two 18650 USB batteries, dual USB cord and wrist lanyard

Link Posted: 1/29/2024 4:16:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Terriblis:
Infinity X1 5000L from Costco.
USB rechargeable or AA batteries.

https://www.costco.com/infinity-x1-5000l-dual-power-focusing-flashlight.product.4000181342.html

ThruNite Catapult Mini
It is only about 680 lumens but it is like a mini lightsaber.

www.amazon.com/dp/B094XVJB6C

ThruNite Catapult

www.amazon.com/dp/B091DZMB55
View Quote

Dang this place costs me money.. ordered the Catapult Mini. $37 seems stupid cheap for something that punches up there with a Surefire Turbo.
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 5:14:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bluemax_1] [#9]
Originally Posted By gont:
Reasonable price is a bonus.  
It is for the house in the mountains so it does not need to be compact.
The more throw the better.  
Thanks.
View Quote

1) what’s YOUR idea of “reasonable price”?

2) what kind of range are you looking for? A rough estimate will do.

I have lights ranging from the Imalent DX80, that’s been independently measured by reviewers to actually come close to the claimed 32,000 lumen output. It’s more of a floodlight, but does 17X,XXX candela. It lights up the backyard all the way to the tree line 100 yards away.

~170,000 candela will light things up at 1/4 to 1/2 mile away pretty well. I was showing it to some buddies in Cleveland PD while I was down there, and lit up half a bridge from over 1/4 mile away.

I also have both the Weltool W4 LEP, and the Acebeam K75; 1.7 million candela, and 1.6 million candela.

Those will reach out past a mile (but if the air isn’t clear, it’s hard to see anything at those distances, because the BEAM itself is bright, if it’s visible).

The Weltool, like all LEPs, is a 1-trick pony. Very narrow beam and spot. ZERO spill.

The K75 (there are newer versions of both. The W4 Pro is rated at 2.2 million candela, IIRC), actually has spill, and can be used on the lower settings for walking around.

*** there are a lot more options in the 100,000 - 2XX,XXX candela range nowadays. Quite a few in the sub-$100 range.

The 1,000,000+ candela range is still in the $$$ ballpark (that I’m aware of).
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 11:28:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SIG_gunner:
Got this for my girlfriend to use for checking the woods behind her house. Works great.

www.amazon.com/dp/B079D3DDGB
View Quote

I was going to suggest this too, especially at the ~$66 sale price sometimes seen.  I'm sure there are some Chinese lights that beat it for less, but I'm never sure what I'm getting.
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 11:41:54 PM EDT
[#11]
The two companies that have the best history are Light with their Javalot series and Thrunite with their Catapult series...I'd look at both and decide. The Javelot 2 Pro looks decent and I'm personally a fan of the long skinny lights.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 11:23:18 PM EDT
[#12]
If you want distance but dont care about spill, look into LEP. Its impractical for the majority of situations, but damn they're mile long light sabers
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top