Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/5/2021 1:15:17 PM EDT
The wood on this rifle is really,  really GOOD!!

Henry Single Shot 350 Legend

Link Posted: 3/6/2021 12:28:33 AM EDT
[#1]
rifle wood does look good...

But every time I see that scope on that rifle, and know its chambered in .350, I can't help but think "clown rifle".   Think about it:  at 3-15x honking big scope, with the whole ridiculous bubble level, like it was going to be used on elk at 1400 yards... all in a rifle chambered in .350 Legend, which is realistically a 200 yard cartridge.  Might as well slap that same scope on a 30-30....  It is absolutely ridiculous.

The 350 could legitimately be an ideal cartridge for use with iron sights.  A simple 1.5-6x, or a fixed 4x would all work well.  Hell, an unmagnified red dot would be ideal!  Why do we have the 350 Legend?  Because some formerly shotgun-only deer areas have moved to allow straightway cartridges.  While this is controversial, the rationale (however flawed) is the straightway cartridges like .44 Mag, or 350 Legend dont have the velocity and potentially the extreme range of a bottlenecked cartridge (some false logic there).  The 350 Legend is intentionally a cartridge designed for limited range shooting, and there is a 3-15x 50mm Obj on it???

Sorry.  Great wood.  But that HUGE scope is totally unbalanced on that svelte little single..  Its unbalanced and out of proportion
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 10:09:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
rifle wood does look good...

But every time I see that scope on that rifle, and know its chambered in .350, I can't help but think "clown rifle".   Think about it:  at 3-15x honking big scope, with the whole ridiculous bubble level, like it was going to be used on elk at 1400 yards... all in a rifle chambered in .350 Legend, which is realistically a 200 yard cartridge.  Might as well slap that same scope on a 30-30....  It is absolutely ridiculous.

The 350 could legitimately be an ideal cartridge for use with iron sights.  A simple 1.5-6x, or a fixed 4x would all work well.  Hell, an unmagnified red dot would be ideal!  Why do we have the 350 Legend?  Because some formerly shotgun-only deer areas have moved to allow straightway cartridges.  While this is controversial, the rationale (however flawed) is the straightway cartridges like .44 Mag, or 350 Legend dont have the velocity and potentially the extreme range of a bottlenecked cartridge (some false logic there).  The 350 Legend is intentionally a cartridge designed for limited range shooting, and there is a 3-15x 50mm Obj on it???

Sorry.  Great wood.  But that HUGE scope is totally unbalanced on that svelte little single..  Its unbalanced and out of proportion
View Quote

I disagree.  My Ruger No. 1 in .450 Bushmaster has a 3-16 optic on it and that's a 250 yard cartridge.  I wait for deals on quality optics then purchase them for a gun that needs a hat.  Plus I am preferential to FFP optics over SFP, and finding good FFP optics at 10 power or less that aren't extremely expensive is somewhat of a chore.

Link Posted: 3/18/2021 7:27:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Did not watch, but benefit of the doubt, OP had the scope laying around or pulled it from another rifle for the video. I agree, high magnification is wasted on 350L.

I put a 2.5-8x on the wife's.

Especially if hunting from a stand, the optic can be obnoxious, because you don't have to drag it around. With the above poster, I'd rather have a higher quality optic if possible, assuming it's practical and affordable. Just because it goes up high doesn't mean you have to use it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top