Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/28/2021 10:54:36 AM EDT
I know that this is difficult without pics.

Early this morning, I went to let my dog out.  She is a semi-aggressive herding/ protection dog.  Thus I did't want to draw attention to the animal.  If I were to walk towards it, my dog would have gone after it.  She is trained to protect our farm animals from any wild / feral animals.

I saw it from probably 50 yards away.  It had the shape of a raccoon, bigger than a 'coon (maybe 35 lbs), and was completely black.  It MIGHT have had some markings on its face, but I wasn't sure.  I did a quick search of black raccoons.  The pics online show black with a silvery tint.

I'm going out after the rain to look for tracks.  

I should add, this was in the SE/ Thumb region of MI.

Link Posted: 2/28/2021 11:02:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Possibly a Fisher. We have them here in CT. Very aggressive little beasts.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 11:22:13 AM EDT
[#2]
beaver?
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 11:40:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Wolverine
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 11:55:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Bear Cub? Wolverine?
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 12:11:50 PM EDT
[#5]
There is an all girls school named after wolverines in that state. Apparently there are a few around.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 12:48:42 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't know if we have fishers in MI, but that definitely looks like it could be close to what I saw.

I have thought about both a wolverine and a small bear cub.  Wolverines typically have white/cream markings on their body.  Also, I have never heard of them being in this geographic region.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 12:59:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Exotic pet someone dumped?
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 1:31:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Nutria?
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 1:51:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Reminds me of the time I was out hunting by myself.   Came across a gully of tumbled up boulders creating  micro caves.  Most of them where empty, some had leaves, tree roots, etc in them...

I stuck my head near the opening of one, shining a flashlight into it and thought to myself “hmm, that tree root looks almost like a leg”.   Moving light around, I says to myself, “hmm, that tree root almost looks like the head of an animal”

Then..... the tree root moved and I saw an eye blink.... I dang near had a heart attack and quickly got my butt out of there before that “root” decided to explode out of there lmao...

From later research on its shape and coloring, I think it was prob a badger.

So, long story short, my guess is badger lol
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 5:36:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Maybe a type of badger??  I'm not sure if there is a type that gets this big.  This thing was jet black from tail tip to its neck.  The closest thing was the fisher suggestion, but the size doesn't match.  It had a fluffy tail, like the fisher or a 'coon.

At this point, I am thinking that it might have been someone's exotic pet that was released.  I might go out and put a trail cam on that side of the property.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 5:52:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Chupacabra
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 6:15:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Chupacabra
View Quote

That was first first thought!!!! Although, it didn't try to suck the blood from any of the goats, horses, or chickens around the property.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 6:28:06 PM EDT
[#13]
I don’t think lower MI has any wolverines, despite the school name.

35 pounds is kinda sizable. Only thing I could think of would be a beaver.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 6:59:42 PM EDT
[#14]
It was large.  It may have been less weight, if it has a super thick and fluffy coat.  It was probably 14-18 inches tall.  If it comes back, I will try to get a photo.  

I am pretty sure that it wasn't a beaver.  The tail was similar to a raccoon, except for all jet black.

I've even thought if it was a FAT feral cat, but the snout was too long.

Link Posted: 2/28/2021 7:34:46 PM EDT
[#15]
I was thinking small pig but then you said fluffy tail.  So a pig is out.  

2Hut8
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 11:37:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Shape and size - sounds like a badger to me and they live all over Michigan's woods.  A bit larger than a really big raccoon but not as furry.  Large males 20+ pounds.

I watched one dig a burrow in the middle of a hiking trail and it disappeared underground in a few minutes with dirt just flying out of the hole.

Good that you didn't let the dog tangle with it.  Their claws are something out of a horror movie and they can be pretty aggressive / territorial.
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 11:44:02 AM EDT
[#17]
It would be a northern climate indigenous, winter active mammal

fishers and wolverines are arctic weasels

it is not a south american nutria

or a tapir

Link Posted: 3/18/2021 10:01:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Exotic pet someone dumped?
View Quote

He is in the Flordy. Very plausible.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 11:19:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I should add, this was in the SE/ Thumb region of MI.

View Quote
RIF
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 7:53:33 AM EDT
[#20]
fisher? badger? groundhog?
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 8:27:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Porqupine
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 8:13:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Porcupine.  They smell odd to a dog and dogs often whine when they get a good whiff, especially if they have had a bad interaction before with porkies.

Link Posted: 4/21/2021 12:02:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I don't know if we have fishers in MI, but that definitely looks like it could be close to what I saw.

I have thought about both a wolverine and a small bear cub.  Wolverines typically have white/cream markings on their body.  Also, I have never heard of them being in this geographic region.
View Quote

I'm fairly certain you have fisher in MI and from your description it sounds like that is what you saw.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top