Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/22/2019 10:05:28 AM EDT
I bought plane tickets last night, we leave at the end of March for a seven day hunt.

We went two years ago and had a blast, but my buddy and I brought our wives. Having them there was great, and they both took Gemsbuck and had amazing times.  I’m really excited about going without them this time.  My buddy and I have been hunting together for 20 years, I shot my first deer with him when I was 17.

Last time we went, we rented rifles and that was great, especially since our wives are very inexperienced hunters. This trip we’re bringing bows and a pistol.  I’ll probably bring a .44 mag, but am going to try out a new to me 454 Casull this fall and see how I like it.  We are debating bringing a .308 as well, that took everything down last time without problems, and we do want to shoot baboons and I understand those are typically long shots.

The list of what I want is:
Warthog
Springbok
Black Wildebeest
Kudu
Baboon

Kudu is the only species of those that we saw good bulls last time, and we did see a couple warthogs, but neither of our PHs wanted us to shoot them as they were too small.  I’ve been saving up to afford taking a big Kudu this time, I’d like to see and kill the other stuff on my list, but I’m going to really be after the Kudu.

I know there are some guys here that have a ton of experience hunting in Africa, anyone have any advice for me about pistol and bow hunting the Dark Continent?
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 3:50:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Good hunting, have fun and be careful! 😀
Link Posted: 10/24/2019 9:28:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm going next June. It will be my first time Africa, so while I'm excited I'm also a little nervous.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 9:12:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By JimPope:
I bought plane tickets last night, we leave at the end of March for a seven day hunt.

We went two years ago and had a blast, but my buddy and I brought our wives. Having them there was great, and they both took Gemsbuck and had amazing times.  I'm really excited about going without them this time.  My buddy and I have been hunting together for 20 years, I shot my first deer with him when I was 17.

Last time we went, we rented rifles and that was great, especially since our wives are very inexperienced hunters. This trip we're bringing bows and a pistol.  I'll probably bring a .44 mag, but am going to try out a new to me 454 Casull this fall and see how I like it.  We are debating bringing a .308 as well, that took everything down last time without problems, and we do want to shoot baboons and I understand those are typically long shots.

The list of what I want is:
Warthog
Springbok
Black Wildebeest
Kudu
Baboon

Kudu is the only species of those that we saw good bulls last time, and we did see a couple warthogs, but neither of our PHs wanted us to shoot them as they were too small.  I've been saving up to afford taking a big Kudu this time, I'd like to see and kill the other stuff on my list, but I'm going to really be after the Kudu.

I know there are some guys here that have a ton of experience hunting in Africa, anyone have any advice for me about pistol and bow hunting the Dark Continent?
View Quote
Going by your list and your methods you will spend most of your time in a blind over a water hole. If you truly want to hunt a big kudu, grab a rifle and stalk them. Baboons are tough as hell to get a shot on unless you are lucky, mine was 520 yards away. Black wildebeest won't ever sit still and drive you insane, the clowns of Africa will fuck up more stalks and bust you out for other animals. So when it comes time to shoot them it's a pleasure

good luck on your hunt, I'm not a bow hunter, but if you any specific questions feel free to holler at me.

headed there to cull 30+ animals off of a few farms in about a month, damn the luck
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top