Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/30/2019 8:24:51 PM EDT
Has anyone tried using a 7" (5.56mm) AR pistol on hogs successfully? If so which ammo did you use and how big were the hogs?
I'm eager to test out the real life effectiveness of my  7" PSA AR pistol on hogs in order to evaluate its likely effectiveness for home defense purposes. I'm thinking of testing some of the lower heavier grain Hornady rounds, but I'm mostly interested in testing out Hornandy 55 grain TAP, Monarch (PPU) 55 grain soft-points, American Eagle 50 grain tipped Varmint rounds, and finally  just good ol M193 FMJ.   All of these get over 2100 FPS through a 7" barrel and some of these on the ballistic tests I've seen, seem to perform very well through 7" barreled AR's as far as penetration and cavitation goes.
But...I'm wondering if anyone else has tried this as I haven't been able to find any data from anyone who's used one for hunting.
BTW, yes I have a bigger rifle for hog hunting.  I'm interested in doing this and seeing if others did this in order to gain more data on real world terminal performance on hogs which are fairly tough critters that might somewhat approximate a human being.
Thanks for any info.  Also please lay off the "dude get a .300 blackout upper" replies.  I already have this tiny 5.56mm upper and I want to see whether it's truly capable or not as a man-stopper.
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 9:45:24 AM EDT
[#1]
I'll go ahead and answer the question. Any of those will work just fine as a home defense weapon. None of the answers you're going to get regarding hog hunting are going to have any real worth because most people don't process their own animals and wouldn't know how to really read the wound even if they did.
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 12:27:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Try 50 gr TSX from black hills

Solid copper and will also get some better velocity.
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 12:38:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Try 50 gr TSX from black hills

Solid copper and will also get some better velocity.
View Quote
This, or the 45gr version.

I prefer 300blk for short barrel terminal ballistics, specifically with the 110gr TacTX
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 10:19:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'll go ahead and answer the question. Any of those will work just fine as a home defense weapon. None of the answers you're going to get regarding hog hunting are going to have any real worth because most people don't process their own animals and wouldn't know how to really read the wound even if they did.
View Quote
I agree with ytka. And I'm going to answer the best I can. Your velocities are equivalent to a standard round at 200 to 250 yards. On coyotes I have skinned the 55 gr expands very little and starts to exit again with almost a .22 rimfire wound channel. Now the 55gr FMJ I don't have enough experience with. Now as for hogs they have the plate on larger hogs that will cause more expansion than a smaller hog or a female. I think the plate helps the FMJ tumble but that's not based on any real data just my experience. And the only way I'd know to get really useful data is to trap hogs then record the distances of dispatch. Good luck and there's some ideas for you to digest.
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 10:44:02 AM EDT
[#5]
If you’re sitting in a stand taking shots at stationary targets , high quality soft point, of anything else designed as actual hunting round will work. Barnes makes a good one. Think it’s 62gr??   If your shooting at running pigs, there’s lots of low percentage shots mixed in. We use shitty steel case stuff for that .  It’s cheap for a reason. No it’s not perfect. But if you shoot them in the face, it doesn’t matter what you use..... where 556 is concerned, unless you hit head, or spine in front of shoulder, it’s not gonna anchor them . They’ll still die somewhere eventually, you just have to go find them . As far as barrel length , it’ll be fine. Shoot pigs, have fun. Post pictures of the ivory
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 4:29:32 PM EDT
[#6]
I used 10 1/2" AR pistol to take a hog last year.  
A 120 lb hog from about 20 yards. I used Speer 65gr Golddot and one shot to the base of the head and he dropped immediately.  The bullet exited after penetrating the spine.  Entrance hole was small but the exit hole was about 2" wide and full of bone chips.
Link Posted: 12/3/2019 1:32:00 AM EDT
[#7]
10" HK SBR with 70 gr Barnes TSX, 100 yards, one shot to the neck, 420 pound boar.

Link Posted: 12/3/2019 10:22:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 3:45:31 AM EDT
[#10]
I have used a 10.5" and noticed SIGNIFICANT reduction in effectiveness from a 14.5". If you are up in a tree, or otherwise in a hog proof location, then go for it. When I was out ground pounding them on foot, I suddenly felt extremely vulnerable.

Use cheap 55 grain FMJ on hogs. Don't waste money on those little bastards.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 12:00:27 PM EDT
[#11]
The Federal FBI load is a hammer as well.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 1:00:02 PM EDT
[#12]
With a head shot you can use a .22 LR and up.  Other than that 90% chance they run off and you never find them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top