Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/3/2024 7:51:34 PM EDT
i've been looking for a wool anorak for many years and this is the only one i've run across that's affordable (~$150 ish).

https://arcturusgear.com/collections/wool-anoraks/products/arcturus-100-merino-wool-anorak-charcoal

has anyone tried one of these yet?

any feedback good or bad?

TIA
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 7:54:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks itchy.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 10:51:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Spartacus] [#2]
Sorry. No info but I'd wear the hell out of that.

It looks well made. Hope somebody's got some info.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 11:29:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Yep, I want that.

If someone gets one, report back here on sizing.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 11:21:49 AM EDT
[#4]
I'd be curious as to the quality and sizing as well.

I have the Lester River Bushcraft Wool Boreal Shirt Anorak, and have worn it extensively.  The big trip was to the Bob Marshall for elk rifle and we got absolutely dumped on with snow.  I was glad to have a super heavy wool layer as the Bob is no joke.

-P
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 11:43:56 AM EDT
[#5]
i wore my boreal mountain anorak all winter.  it's awesome.   absolutely love it.   switched from using super technical stuff in years past.  it's not itchy at all

it's 2x the price of the one you mentioned.  obviously no clue how they compare from materials, stitching, etc

https://borealmountainanoraks.com/products/the-rough%C2%A9-anorak-2
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 11:45:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TxRabbitBane] [#6]
No, but I got one from Asbell Wool that is bad ass. It’s built like a Baja/surfer shirt, but made of wool. I love it.  It’s plenty warm down into the 20s with just a t-shirt underneath.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 11:54:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TxRabbitBane:
No, but I got one from Asbell Wool that is bad ass. It’s built like a Baja/surfer shirt, but made of wool. I love it.  It’s plenty warm down into the 20s with just a t-shirt underneath.
View Quote

Same.  Love mine.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 2:02:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: akcaribouhunter] [#8]
https://www.varusteleka.com/en/product/sarma-windproof-anorak/60199

It is cotton blend though.

This one is wool mix.
https://www.varusteleka.com/en/product/sarma-blanket-shirt/35226
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 3:16:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By akcaribouhunter:

This one is wool mix.
View Quote

I have one from Varusteleka.  I got mine back in 2019 for $82.99.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 4:16:20 PM EDT
[#10]
There are several people selling versions on Etsy too- no experience with any of them but there's at least one thread on bushcraftusa with discussions on various anoraks.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 9:04:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By akcaribouhunter:

This one is wool mix.
View Quote
i like the Varusteleka offering but the sleeves are too short for me.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 9:04:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By sandboxmedic:
There are several people selling versions on Etsy too- no experience with any of them but there's at least one thread on bushcraftusa with discussions on various anoraks.
View Quote
linky?
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 9:35:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By JLPettimoreIII:
linky?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
linky?

I don't really have any specific links, I just typed "wool anorak" into the search bar after reading a couple of threads on BushcraftUSA in the "Clothing" forum; there are several threads in their "Self-made gear" forums as well.  In addition to the bigger commercial names, the only name I remember off Etsy is The Wandering Parson (just because the guy's name stuck in my head, no experience with him- it looks like his prices have gone up since I last looked at them, but what hasn't).  Just typing that in Etsy now I also see a bunch of renaissance fair or fantasy type stuff so you may have to look around if you're not wanting to look like a viking. For DIY, I know several of the members over there have either bought used or inexpensive hoodies and used them as templates and also used the patterns from The Green Pepper.  https://www.thegreenpepper.com/product-category/jackets/ I'm not a member over there so can't use their search feature, but you can use google's advanced search to search it.  Sorry, I know that's not a lot of help.  

Link Posted: 3/5/2024 10:44:25 AM EDT
[#14]
No experience with that bush shirt, but I have both the Lester River Bushcraft Wool Boreal Shirt Anorak and the Asbell. The Boreal Shirt is the best finished one I've seen. The Asbell isn't as polished and wears more like a large hoody; both are solid for their price points.

If the return policy is good, give it a shot to see how it fits and the quality.

Ironically, I still have a vintage (surplus) Model 1951 Army OD wool field shirt that is one of my favorites. Quality wool, if cared for, will last a long, long time.

A wool bushshirt/anorak isn't for the ultralight backpacking crowd, but for hunting and scouting, it's a phenomenal layer or outer that also works in a wide range of temps and weather conditions.

ROCK6

Link Posted: 3/5/2024 11:38:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By ROCK6:
No experience with that bush shirt, but I have both the Lester River Bushcraft Wool Boreal Shirt Anorak and the Asbell. The Boreal Shirt is the best finished one I've seen. The Asbell isn't as polished and wears more like a large hoody; both are solid for their price points.

If the return policy is good, give it a shot to see how it fits and the quality.

Ironically, I still have a vintage (surplus) Model 1951 Army OD wool field shirt that is one of my favorites. Quality wool, if cared for, will last a long, long time.

A wool bushshirt/anorak isn't for the ultralight backpacking crowd, but for hunting and scouting, it's a phenomenal layer or outer that also works in a wide range of temps and weather conditions.

ROCK6

View Quote

You left off the best use for them- after the hunt and dinner when you're sitting next to the campfire with a nice pipe in one hand and a glass of smooth bourbon in the other.    Ironically, I quit both about two years ago when I decided I needed to get back in better shape (I love a good smoke but it was playing hell with my sinuses the next morning).
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 6:39:08 PM EDT
[#16]
You left off the best use for them- after the hunt and dinner when you're sitting next to the campfire with a nice pipe in one hand and a glass of smooth bourbon in the other.    Ironically, I quit both about two years ago when I decided I needed to get back in better shape (I love a good smoke but it was playing hell with my sinuses the next morning).
View Quote

Funny you mention that. I should have got a picture, but we did that a few weeks ago camping with some family that came up from GA. It was a cold President's Day weekend, I had the Boreal shirt, sitting by the fire with a cigar and some locally distilled rum

ROCK6
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 8:25:57 PM EDT
[#17]

Funny you mention that. I should have got a picture, but we did that a few weeks ago camping with some family that came up from GA. It was a cold President's Day weekend, I had the Boreal shirt, sitting by the fire with a cigar and some locally distilled rum

ROCK6
View All Quotes

ROCK6

Sitting around a fire with a cold beverage and my corn cob pipe...  Yes please!  
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 10:23:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By thederrick106:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By thederrick106:

ROCK6

Funny how well those smoke, especially when you compare them to much more expensive and fancy pipes.  I used to buy them for trying different tobaccos, I've still got a couple of unused ones.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 5:37:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Tag
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 7:50:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JLPettimoreIII] [#20]
Originally Posted By FightingHellfish:
Tag
View Quote

lower prices on lightly used slash returned anoraks:

https://arcturusgear.com/collections/clearance/products/clearance-arcturus-100-virgin-wool-anorak-olive

https://arcturusgear.com/collections/clearance/products/clearance-arcturus-wool-anorak-100-virgin-wool

no XXL unfortunately.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 7:53:07 PM EDT
[#21]

I bet those are sized loose for layering. I’d probably wear it with just a LS silky underneath and might go down one size.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 8:11:02 PM EDT
[#22]

I bet those are sized loose for layering. I'd probably wear it with just a LS silky underneath and might go down one size.
View Quote
unfortunately a man of my stature and build can't go a size down on anything.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 8:29:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MouseBoy] [#23]
Hell no.  I just sent one of their blankets back.  Absolute Indian (dot) garbage.  I'm still itching from it.

Read the shitty reviews, not the fake + ones.  Go to Amazon for those, not their website.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 7:47:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By MouseBoy:
Hell no.  I just sent one of their blankets back.  Absolute Indian (dot) garbage.  I'm still itching from it.

Read the shitty reviews, not the fake + ones.  Go to Amazon for those, not their website.
View Quote
i bought two of the blankets and then stumbled onto the anorak.

they're worth $40 but they're not $400 blankets by any stretch.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 8:00:07 PM EDT
[#25]
i bought two of the blankets and then stumbled onto the anorak.

they're worth $40 but they're not $400 blankets by any stretch.
View Quote

I almost pulled the trigger on one of those last night.  

If I end up looking like Strider nursing a beer in the back of the Prancing Pony I’m blaming Pettimore.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 12:16:21 AM EDT
[#26]

I almost pulled the trigger on one of those last night.  

If I end up looking like Strider nursing a beer in the back of the Prancing Pony I'm blaming Pettimore.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/8/2024 12:22:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FightingHellfish] [#27]

View Quote

I scratched the anorak itch (lol wool) with something completely different Orvis

More like Scotland and less like Middle Earth.

I still want a wool anorak though.

Orvis will give you 20% off and free shipping if you’re a new customer.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 12:52:46 AM EDT
[#28]

I scratched the anorak itch (lol wool) with something completely different Orvis

Orvis will give you 20% off and free shipping if you're a new customer.
View Quote
why not both?
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 12:54:42 AM EDT
[#29]
why not both?
View Quote

My weekly Anorak budget is only about $200.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 8:46:27 AM EDT
[#30]
Fwiw the boreal mtn is a 95% wool, 5% synthetic blend that I like a lot better than 100% wool.  It doesn’t itch at all.  It is kinda pricey but it’s something I hope to wear for years.  I wore it all winter and it looks like new.  

Link Posted: 3/8/2024 9:06:16 AM EDT
[#31]

View All Quotes

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/115663?page=mountain-classic-anorak&bc=&feat=Anorak-SR0&csp=a&attrValue_0=33379&searchTerm=Anorak&pos=14

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/120880?page=mens-mountain-classic-anorak-multi-color-mens-regular&bc=&feat=Anorak-SR0&csp=a&attrValue_0=46717&searchTerm=Anorak&pos=13

Link Posted: 3/10/2024 7:56:16 AM EDT
[#32]
Best anorak design I've used in the past few years is the Helikon-Tex Pilgrim. Excellent material, design and features.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 11:20:07 AM EDT
[#33]
Best anorak design I've used in the past few years is the Helikon-Tex Pilgrim. Excellent material, design and features.

ROCK6
View Quote

I was looking at those. Does it have any insulation or is it more of a wind breaker?
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 5:13:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Lungbuster:
I was looking at those. Does it have any insulation or is it more of a wind breaker?
View Quote

@Lungbuster, no insulation, just a good shell but much better than a windbreaker.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 9:08:49 PM EDT
[#35]

@Lungbuster, no insulation, just a good shell but much better than a windbreaker.

ROCK6
View Quote

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 3:25:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Keep in mind that the wool anorak is a sub layer below the canvas outer layer
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 5:08:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wsix] [#37]
Originally Posted By pikachu:
I'd be curious as to the quality and sizing as well.

I have the Lester River Bushcraft Wool Boreal Shirt Anorak, and have worn it extensively.  The big trip was to the Bob Marshall for elk rifle and we got absolutely dumped on with snow.  I was glad to have a super heavy wool layer as the Bob is no joke.

-P
View Quote

How in the hell do they sell that for less than the cost of the cheapest wool blanket?

ETA and correct- I did the google search and found one for $30 bucks, It must be a knockoff since the real one is 10 times that.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 9:26:29 AM EDT
[#38]
I'll be "that guy".  Never cared for anoraks because with no front opening, too much hassle to don/doff.  Front opening allows for opening top/bottom/entire front for venting.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 9:52:26 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By raf:
I'll be "that guy".  Never cared for anoraks because with no front opening, too much hassle to don/doff.  Front opening allows for opening top/bottom/entire front for venting.  YMMV.
View Quote

You are not wrong.  I got the one I got because "hey look at me I am a bushcrafter" but for anything other than sitting around a fire in the winter mine doesn't get much use.

Truth be told 90% of the time when outside in colder temps working around my homesteead on the end of a chainsaw, cutting and splitting firewood or digging a ditch I wear an old cotton hoodie and a fleece vest.  OF course if I get wet I can just go inside and change or warm up  
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 8:08:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TxRabbitBane] [#40]
View Quote

No tougher to don/doff than any other pullover…

As insulating layers go, it’s bulky and heavy, which is a legitimate beef, IMO… on the other hand, it’s wool and good in the wet.

I like the fact that it’s not scratchy and noisy in the brush.  If it was strictly an under layer, it would be less than ideal, but here, it’s generally good as a solo garment.  If I was in minnesota or UP Michigan it might be a different story.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 8:32:37 PM EDT
[#41]
If you’re in and out of heated cars or houses all day, yeah it would be irritating.

But if you’re outside all day in the cold and snow it’s pretty awesome.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 4:21:31 PM EDT
[#42]
View Quote
Most people get them way to small.

My native grandma had a knee length parka and she could get into it easy even when she was in her early 100s.
It even had a heavier insulation in it plus she would put another layer on underneath.
None had zippers or buttons.

I have multiple sweaters and other layers that are pull overs. I size them to so I can put them on easy even with bum arms and now a bum shoulder.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top