Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2018 6:59:23 AM EDT
Perry County Kentucky Bull - Week one Rifle.  Lost Mountain Outfitters

I have hunted Colorado three times and was lucky enough to harvest a cow.  I was fortunate to get drawn a Week 1 Bull Tag here in KY.  Shot this bull this past Saturday (Opening Day Rifle).  Only 700 some tags awarded in 2018, next year only 500ish.  RMEF helped restore Elk in the Daniel Boone National Forest in Eastern, KY years ago and what a joy to hunt one in my home state.

Anyone can put in for the chance to get a tag it only costs $10.  I actually met someone from Wyoming at camp who drew a tag.   Odds are not good in getting one, but make the most of the one you get and hire an outfitter.

Equipment
Remington 700 ADL - 7mm Remington Mag with 4x12 Leupold
Federal Premium Ammo
Primos Tripod Shooting Stick
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 7:05:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Very nice.

How much did the outfitter charge?
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 7:29:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Sweet, I didn’t know you had elk in that part of the country.

Edit to add: I don’t know why I would think you wouldn’t have elk in Ky. Hell we have them here in Ok. No many but a few.
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 7:30:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Nice Bull!

I've seen elk in Prestonsburg, I think that's in Floyd Co. KY.

700 permits were drawn but I didn't make the cut.
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 7:59:54 AM EDT
[#4]
I talked to a retired KY game warden last month.  He was involved in the elk stocking/ relocation program from the start.  He said the program has exceeded all expectations and the population is exploding.
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 10:29:01 AM EDT
[#5]
That's awesome that the population has reached about point where they can be hunted. They were released into the smoky mountains, wonder if they have started hunting there too.?
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 10:12:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Congratulations! I remember when they first released them. What a great success story!

Fantastic that you drew and filled your tag!
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 1:49:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Very cool. Does the state make you get a guide?
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 2:12:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Congrats!  

And glad to hear the program is doing so well.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 3:05:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Nice, beautiful animal! Very awesome to witness the recovery and then get to participate in it. Really cool work and awesome to see it pay off.

I've also never done a guided hunt, I'm not saying never (or looking down on them, especially when hunting away from your local area), but I'm not sure I want or am ready to try one. Part of my love for hunting is the struggle, the long learning curve, and failures. I tend to lose interest after success, but it changes when you get on to hunts with such limited opportunity or even once in a lifetime only opportunities. I gave my first real try to elk last year when I had a misfire on my muzzleloader on a cow last year before I got snowed out the last two days and the short season ended. Timing is off this year to give elk a real go again in the over the counter areas, between work, my first child expected in the next couple weeks, and the success of a whitetail this week I'll probably miss it.
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 7:30:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Picked up the meat from the butcher.  Over 300 lbs worth.  Decided to have a cookout with the guys.  Steaks were amazing.

Link Posted: 10/14/2018 8:00:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Looks pretty darn good!
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 8:17:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Nice bull OP.  Plenty of meat. I'm in Wyoming and going to try and fill a cow tag.  Starts tomorrow.
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 8:28:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Picked up the meat from the butcher.  Over 300 lbs worth.  Decided to have a cookout with the guys.  Steaks were amazing.

https://i.imgur.com/rTKgnL4.jpg
View Quote
Looks awesome. Also might be the first time I've seen elk and shrimp.
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 8:36:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Jealous!  Well done.  I got an invitation to New Mexico from a friend, just got to get drawn.
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 11:19:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Nice bull op.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 6:17:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Gorgeous bull, OP. Hot damn, do those steaks look good.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top