Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/4/2023 4:02:08 AM EDT
Just in case, anyone have a preferred food grade water pump to pump out those 5/6 gallon plastic water bottles?
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 10:27:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Check out "Tera Pump". I don't have any of their water models but IIRC they do have food-grade ones available. I've got a couple of them for fuel and they're great (and they run well on Eneloops).
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 3:30:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Stick a flexible tube in the top of the container. Set container on counter. Suck on tube until water flows into desired secondary container. It called a siphon and has worked since the dawn of time.
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 9:20:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Stick a flexible tube in the top of the container. Set container on counter. Suck on tube until water flows into desired secondary container. It called a siphon and has worked since the dawn of time.
View Quote

Yeah, I know about that one - I was looking for something a wee bit more mechanical so I can pump "uphill" as it were.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 9:36:44 AM EDT
[#4]
OP needs to specify if his bottles have screw threads at outlet or are without them.  What is the Inner Diameter (I.D.) of the neck, and what is the Outer Diameter (O.D.) of the neck?  Does OP want an electric pump, or manual?

Bottleneck (lol) may be getting a decent "food-grade" pump; a lot of the manual pumps offered by Grainger's and such are for commercial use and may not be "food" grade.

It appears (from user comments) that some of the electric and manual pumps that are intended for Household use may not be as long-lasting as their commercial counterparts.  It may be that the commercial versions can be "rebuilt" with new O-rings and gaskets.  Just a guess, and no Expert.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 11:25:11 PM EDT
[#5]
OP says, screw top standard 5 gallon water bottles. Unfortunately, they do have two different neck dimensions, even between the few I own, two different makers. OP would like a hand powered pump, not an electric. OP is grateful to all replies to OP's P.
Link Posted: 4/14/2023 3:08:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Okay the OP wants to move water uphill.  There is a simple way.  At the bottom of the hill you have two tanks.  Both are full one is airtight the other is vented.  The vented tank has a line running to an airtight tank above.  The other has a line running from that airtight tank to the other full airtight tank.  Open a drain valve lower airtight tank.  It will create a vacuum on the upper tank and draw water from the vented tank below.

Of course if your water source is something like a creek or river you can use the hydraulic energy from that to move water up hill.
Link Posted: 4/14/2023 11:58:49 AM EDT
[#7]
*scratches head* Creek? If I tip a water bottle over it might make a creek for a few seconds...but I'm in the desert, dude - we have washes, AKA, dry creek/river beds.
All I was looking for was a small hand pump that would be easy to use to pump water out of water bottles and possibly 55 gallon barrels. Is OK, disregard, thank you to all for your help.
Link Posted: 4/14/2023 12:23:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/14/2023 1:25:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have one of these https://goinggear.com/products/camelbak-hydrolink-tactical-hand-pump

Camelbak discontinued them. It's good to be able to pump water out of small seeps. Dipping water out of a spring with a teaspoon is no fun.
View Quote
I have one of those pumps, and it works as advertised.  It seems to me that CamelBak has "trimmed" its' line of "military" products over the years.
Link Posted: 4/14/2023 1:38:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
OP says, screw top standard 5 gallon water bottles. Unfortunately, they do have two different neck dimensions, even between the few I own, two different makers. OP would like a hand powered pump, not an electric. OP is grateful to all replies to OP's P.
View Quote
Sorry if my referring to you as "OP" sounded disrespectful; simply shorthand and saves typing.

A quick search on typical web sites reveals many manual 5-gal water jug pumps, both threaded and non-threaded.  I bought a couple a long time ago.  Have yet to use them since tipping the jug in the correct "jug holder" is so much simpler and will never fail.  Kinda like the tipping "jug holder" my grandparents used when I was a small kid.

Here's a modern variant:  Tilting Water Bottle Stand

There are also non-tilting stands that angle the neck of the bottle downwards and which come with faucets for different types of bottles.

Why use a pump when gravity will do the work?
Link Posted: 4/14/2023 7:38:32 PM EDT
[#11]
How about a small solar fountain pump, I use one to water a raised garden in the summer with a drip hose. Just set it up, turn it to the sun in the heat of the day and its done.
Link Posted: 4/14/2023 9:59:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Solar is great until something dies.  Using physics to move water always works.  Well until someone figures out how to break the laws of physics.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top