Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/26/2023 1:52:38 PM EDT
Let’s have a hammock camping appreciation thread.

Also: curious the different ways you’ve tried hauling hammock set ups with a backpack.

I have LSOH underquilt, quilt, DD tarp and DD hammock - and it’s certainly not a space saving proposition over a single man tent.

I made do with a beavertail and stuffing the stuff sacks in, but it’s not an ideal solution.

Link Posted: 11/26/2023 6:33:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: urbanredneck] [#1]
Replace your setup with a foam army mat instead of an underquilt. Just lay it in the bottom of the hammock. And a regular sleeping bag and tarp above.

A hammock has an advantage on Rocky uneven ground over a tent. And it can be setup with poles when there are no trees.

Link Posted: 11/28/2023 1:15:15 AM EDT
[#2]
I have around a dozen hammocks, a combined 25 top quilts, underquilts, and sleeping bags. An unknown number of tarps.

Normal 3 season setup is a Warbonnet Eldorado, Warbonnet Minifly tarp, Katabatic Gear Alsek top quilt, and Loco Libre underquilt.

As for hauling I shove the quilts in the bottom of a ULA Ohm 2 backpack. Spare clothes next, then hammock, food bag, and tarp if it is dry. If the tarp is wet it goes in an outside pocket.

In the winter I may use a pulk depending on the terrain and snow cover.
I have a McLean hammock stand that attaches to my tow hitch if car camping.
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 3:45:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Hauling a hammock with a backpack? I don't think of it any differently than carrying a tent and sleeping pad.

When I'm hammock camping my WB Blackbird and tree straps go in a stuff sack(replacing the tent) and the sleeping pad is replaced with an underquilt if it's that time of year.
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 4:34:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a dutchgear 11 ft, tarp, jacks R better over and under quilt both rated to 30 degrees.  My base weight for a 3 day trip is 11 pounds.

I will say doing the same but replacing the hammock with a tent shelter saves about a pound,  but it is not worth it to me.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 12:03:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Hammock, Pad and sleeping bag with a small rainfly over the top. It’s worked great for me for years. Ymmv.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 12:26:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WhyTanFox] [#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By urbanredneck:
Replace your setup with a foam army mat instead of an underquilt.
View Quote

It's not the same.

I used to use a huge camp pad that Walmart sold, maybe 3/4" thick amd something like 25"x78". That did pretty good and came up around my shoulders, but was bulky to pack and not the warmest.

I have an Exped Down 9 (something like that, it's been discontinued) inflatable pad. That has a real high R value and packed small. Not as wide as the foam pad, work best in a double hammock vs, say, an Eno single.

I got Eno's "warmest" under quilt, which I think is only rated for 45° and is just synthetic cotten-like batting. It doesn't compress the best for packing, but was cheap(ish) and off-the-shelf at an REI. I like it a lot, it used it just this past weekend with a high-30°s overnight low.

I do have a great top quilt, down with a built-in down hat.

My strategy for packing is getting half of my stuff in the bag and then pressing in the under and over quilts without compression sack, just working them loose into the nooks and cranies of the bag.

I do have a big bag, 80l Acy'tyrex. It's never packed full and I do cinch the compression straps in a lot. A 60l bag would probably hold my weekend kit, but I like the extra room if I need heavier coats. Nothing mounted outside except maybe my trekking poles if I'm not walking with them.

I'll try digging up actual part numbers tomorrow.
Link Posted: 12/12/2023 5:05:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By na1lb0hm:
I have LSOH underquilt, quilt, DD tarp and DD hammock - and it’s certainly not a space saving proposition over a single man tent.
View Quote

This is what separates hammock lovers from hammock users

For me, once temps drop below 45 degrees or so, I start to lose the weight/size advantage of a hammock over a ground shelter setup. The weight and bulk start to equalize, in fact my ultralight weight ground tarp/shelter setups end up taking up less space and weight than a similarly temp-rated hammock setup.

I've really settled in on the Halfwit (look like they're no longer made) by Dutchware Gear, a simple torso length section of Z-rest and Dyneema rainfly. I have a 3/4 length dry-down under quilt from Jacks R Better if I expect temps to drop below 60, just to stay comfortable. My larger synthetic under quilt (I think Hammock Gear) is for winter/truck camping...just too bulky to pack.

For packing the rainfly is on the top or outer mesh pouch (if wet). First thing that goes up!

ROCK6
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 10:32:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BuckMan123] [#8]
For Boy scout trips,

I took a Warbonnet Double Traveler and hung Vital outdoors 30 degree under quilt and used a ENO bug net. When done camping the whole thing was taken done and stuffed in to a red Sea to summit bag without separating the pieces. The next time I set up.  Find a spot to pitch it and attach the woopie slings for the hammock. Then I pitch either a Kelty 9 or 12 tarp over it. Set up and take down only takes a few minutes.  I can add a down bag or pad if the weather get well below freezing. I've hung comfortably down to the teens in it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top