Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/29/2021 12:58:49 PM EDT
Looking to invest in a Hammock ground tarp for the ground.. I'm thinking a small 5x3 blue tarp from Walmart... Should I invest in something better???
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 1:25:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Harbor Freight is cheeeep, same quality.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 11:53:47 PM EDT
[#2]
That's why I asked... Could not see the additional expense... 6 bucks seems a better deal that 50 to 60 bucks...
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 2:51:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I get the idea of a hammock ground tarp to keep your gear clean and out of the mud if its wet out, but honestly if you have a fly overhead, you're camping, stuff is going to get dirty. Hang your pack with a cover on it and it'll be out of the ground water. I always try to weigh the options for "luxury" items vs pack weight/size. Most nice to have items never get used or just arent really needed in the scheme of things... all imo of course.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 11:24:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Depending on what you have or need you could always get a cheap under hammock storage mini hammock and keep stuff off the ground
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 1:04:18 PM EDT
[#5]
If I'm static for more than a few days (i.e. hammock camping), I'll just make a little platform to hang my pack and other kit.  For actual backpacking, I've hung my pack on a tree, covered with the pack rain cover when the rain was so heavy I had a small river flowing under my hammock (my foot pad almost floated away.  Outside of that one time, I just prop my kit on a rock or my foot pad, or just rest my pack in side the pack rain cover on the ground with zero issues.  

Now, I do like the idea of a ground cover when I have to "go to ground" with my hammock.  In areas with no trees or structure, or if temps are too cold even with my 3/4 under-quilt.  I like to put a very light ground cover down, and then I can lay my hammock on top with sleeping pad and the rest of the insulation inside (I support the structure of my hammock with just my trekking poles; not to support the weight, just keep the structure when grounded...basically a bivvy bag).

ROCK6
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 5:08:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Pick up a polycryo window or patio door kit at Walmart and cut it to size.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 12:12:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Tyvek sheet from your local hardware store. It is lightweight, water resistant, and packs easy...
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 8:43:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the replies... Have not used one yet, but I seen them on video's... Did not know if anyone used...
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 4:04:55 PM EDT
[#9]
I use the tiny blue tarp from Walmart for the ground. It is hanging up in the camping section about as big as a coke can rolled up.
I also have a mini gear hammock hanging underneath.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 11:01:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I use the tiny blue tarp from Walmart for the ground. It is hanging up in the camping section about as big as a coke can rolled up.
I also have a mini gear hammock hanging underneath.
View Quote

Yah, that's what I was going to do, just wanted a larger pool of thought... Having one I think would help from cover to clean...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top