Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2018 11:05:34 AM EDT
My crusty Dell D630 finally burnt out the Video Card yesterday-just as I was logging into FT8Call

I have a little Asus netbook leftover but prefer something a little more substantial for a shack PC.

I'm only interested in running FLDigi, WSJT, RMS Express, TQSL and similar Ham Programs.  I'm figuring I don't need too much horsepower to do that.  This will NOT be a primary workstation PC-just Ham Radio Use, inside my shack. (RPi is outta the question-no thanks)

I have a few wants/needs:

Ability to run more than 1 monitor (even if thru USB)
Ability to op multi devices independent of each other (ex: IC7100 & Signalink)
Ability to op with my phone for hotspot internet

As you may imagine, the $600 scorcher posted here the other day is way outta my league so I'm wondering if any of the sub $160 PC's listed here or here would work for my needs?

it's been so long since I bought anything for my own needs I don't even know where to start minus the minuscule budget.

thanks in advance, I appreciate your input feedback!
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 11:29:06 AM EDT
[#1]
I can't personally vouch for any of them.  But Amazon has some way cheap refurb PCs.  Some even include monitors.

buy at own risk.  YMMV.  and all the caveats.
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 11:40:31 AM EDT
[#2]
didn't even think about amazon, I'll look-thx
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 11:52:43 AM EDT
[#3]
My shack computer specs:

Intel i3 3220 CPU @ 3.30 GHz  3.30 GHz
4Gb RAM
64 bit Operating system  x64-based processor
Windows 10 Pro

It runs everything I need in the shack.  Logging program, Fldigi, WSJT-X, CW practice programs, HT programming software, etc.  I've had about 5 years, and it's been great.  Oh, it's a HP.  Don't have a clue about running more than one monitor, as I've never done that.

I don't use it for anything else.
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 11:53:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Try to stick with one of the "newer" Intel Core i3 or i5 processors, and stay away from Pentium or Celeron processors. It looks like most of those $130-$150 desktops listed have both HDMI and VGA cable ports on the back, so theoretically you shouldn't have any problems running dual monitors. When you have it narrowed it down to a few options do a quick Google search of the model numbers and see if you can get any customer reviews or other info on them. It looks like some of the models were originally marketed as Point Of Sale machines, which makes me think they may not be the best choice for a personal computer? but I am by no means a computer guru...
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 12:40:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Join the club. My shack laptop crapped out and I really don't want to mess with it anymore. It was barely dragging it's feet when it was brand new but it was free (20 year anniversary at the company I worked at.)
Been looking at this. but haven't made my mind yet. It's not a laptop but a desktop is probably a better choice for the money since I already have a nice monitor in the shack. I don't do digital modes. I only use a PC to run an SDRPLAY synced to my FTDX3000 for a high res. bandscope.
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 2:03:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Why don't you just replace the video card?

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 2:12:40 PM EDT
[#7]
from what I've gathered on-line it's kinda outta my league.

It is not possible to replace the graphics card or the integrated graphics chip in a D630 without replacing the system board.
View Quote
from https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-to-replace-a-graphics-card-in-a-dell-latitude-d630
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 2:17:44 PM EDT
[#8]
You should be able to disable the onboard video in the bios.

Vulcan94

Never mind. I didn't know that it is a laptop.
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 2:26:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Wrote a long, too much verbage response.
Cut it back to this:
Stay away from Chrome systems unless you want to run Chrome or hack a minimum linux system.
Stay away from eMMC memory.  in fact I suggest staying away from any system where the memory & storage is soldiered on board.

A long section that I've retained concerning MicroCenter purchases:
MicroCenter instore brown box HP refurbs have some times been fantastic deals in the past.
But you do have to know the parts that you are buying.  Website deals are usually not as good.
Why?  Because the in store editions are lost leaders (or just above break even) and the store sales employees (in the past) been judged more on what else they get you to buy on the same sales ticket.
Find one you like (computer & sales person)?  Then add a keyboard & mouse or even a cheap external usb drive & monitor and you'll help make their day.
It used to be that there was nothing better you could do for a MicoCenter sales person than add a copy of antivirus & a service plan.
I don't know what they are currently pushing.  I live so far from a MC store these days I'm better off with Newegg & Amazon deals.
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 4:02:13 PM EDT
[#10]
after all of that, a random convo with a bud of mine lent to him having just what I needed (and a spare box too) I'll let y'all know how it turns out asap.

till then the netbook and I are on Guard/FT8Call
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 6:26:18 PM EDT
[#11]
There are T410 thinkpads going for sale on Ebay for $99.

My i5 T410 is still chugging along 4 years after I got it used. My favorite keyboard on any laptop too.
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 7:13:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Thinkpads really are solid as used/refurbs. I've got gobs of X220s for that.

I recently upgraded and the tiny PCs today aren't bad. I think they're called 1L (one liter) form factors,
the one I have from lenovo will run a couple monitors.

I actually haven't had any issues with Celeron or Pentium processors -- Atom processors, though,
those are dog slow, especially anything that starts with a Z.

Newegg also has a ton of refurbs in addition to Amazon. Here's an example of a tiny PC refurb. Though because it's an older one it's single display (unless you use something like displaylink, which is largely windows only these days.)
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 7:28:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 8:50:19 AM EDT
[#14]
solution found:

an old friend had 2 old biz class Dell towers laying around.  He was able to install my HDD from the laptop into one of the units, that happens to have a dual output video card.  It's running like a champ.  He also gave me 2 18" monitors, a spare matching box minus the HDD for future use or spares, keyboard and mouse.
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 9:08:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
solution found:

an old friend had 2 old biz class Dell towers laying around.  He was able to install my HDD from the laptop into one of the units, that happens to have a dual output video card.  It's running like a champ.  He also gave me 2 18" monitors, a spare matching box minus the HDD for future use or spares, keyboard and mouse.
View Quote
Score!

Once you go to two monitors, baby, you never go back And three monitors is even better
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 10:19:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Score!

Once you go to two monitors, baby, you never go back And three monitors is even better
View Quote
talk to me about adding a 3rd :)
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 1:21:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

talk to me about adding a 3rd :)
View Quote
Easy. Just add another video card. Windows will sort it all out. Or, if the existing video adapter uses DisplayPort, see how many it will support daisy chained, assuming you have DisplayPort monitors (I'm guess you don't).

If you are building a new system, DisplayPort is the way to go. If you can afford new monitors, the ones with the DisplayPort daisy chain feature are great.

I'm currently running an EVGA GTX 1060ti. It has three DisplayPort connectors. I'm running triple Dell P2815Q 4K monitors. Yes, triple 4K! I got a smoking deal on them off of Craigslist, $450 for the matched set. They are not the greatest monitors, but I'm not a gamer, I just like the monitor real estate.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top