Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/18/2020 8:52:34 PM EDT
The ID-5100 mounting solutions for normal ham shack were not really to my liking. I borrowed the ram arm off my motorcycle and found a ram head mount on Thingverse. I adapted a couple of of different designs and came up with something I am really loving.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

So I used a Ram mount for the Anytone 878 that is designed to have a ram mount ball bolt to the back and extend it and changed the hole spacing. Dont mind the bolts, they are the only ones i had laying around to fit the holes.

Here it is on my little desktop thing.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/18/2020 9:21:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I was inactive for a couple of years; during that time I learned how to do 3D CAD and bought a 3D printer.  I recently dusted off my radios and I'm not sure how I participated in this hobby without the 3D printer before
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 9:30:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was inactive for a couple of years; during that time I learned how to do 3D CAD and bought a 3D printer.  I recently dusted off my radios and I'm not sure how I participated in this hobby without the 3D printer before
View Quote
It is making my life easier. Im building a 6m LFA yagi so this was the natural thing to do.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 3:55:34 PM EDT
[#3]
My 3D printer is probably the must useful thing I ever bought.

Once I got the body of my radio mounted under the seat, I started looking for where I wanted to mount the face.  Seemed there was just no good place where it wouldn't be blocking something else, or be out in the open (I've been rained on more than once with the top down).

There is a little area in front of the shifter that holds coins, etc.  I didn't realize how dirty it was until I took a pic:

So I designed a thing to go in that area to give me a flat surface:

I then printed a "roof" to go on top of the base to hold the face at the right angle:

Before I could finalize everything, I got in an accident (see other thread) and pulled everything out of the Jeep.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 4:15:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Very creative! I have a TM-V71 in my truck. The radio is Velcroed into the center console/box using the factory provided bracket. The head is mounted on a suction cup arm (designed for cell phones and such) stuck to the front of that same box using a 3D printed adapter. I’ll get a pic in later.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 6:20:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Reading this makes me want to buy a 3D printer. Never used them before. I've done a ton of electrical drawings in CAD but have no clue how to do 3D objects. They didn't teach CAD when I went to school. All drawings were done by hand back then. I just learned enough CAD to do electrical drawings and simple layouts but never needed any advanced features.

I wonder how durable the '3D' plastic is? They probably sell different plastic grades, right? Just curious.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 7:15:16 PM EDT
[#6]
If you are using PLA for the material you will find in the summer in the heat it will deform and get squishy. If you plan on using it long term look at ABS or some of the higher end PETG. I printed a bracket for my oldest to watch the ipad while we were on a long car trip last July. When we got home I bumped the bracket and it popped off. The legs were all deformed and would not go back into place. I like to prototype with PLA and then permanent with ABS.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 9:36:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Reading this makes me want to buy a 3D printer. Never used them before. I've done a ton of electrical drawings in CAD but have no clue how to do 3D objects. They didn't teach CAD when I went to school. All drawings were done by hand back then. I just learned enough CAD to do electrical drawings and simple layouts but never needed any advanced features.

I wonder how durable the '3D' plastic is? They probably sell different plastic grades, right? Just curious.
View Quote
Check out Tinkercad. Its free and if you find some design you are wanting to try out send it to me. I will print it and send it to you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top