Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/5/2020 3:15:09 PM EDT
Cross Posted from GD... maybe more views here.

I normally try to play the wind when deer hunting, especially bow hunting, but time off work doesn't always coincide with the weather and I hunt when I have the time off, not necessarily when the weather is ideal.

Do any of you guys use Ozonics or the Wildgame Ion Generator? I've been thinking about getting one to use in addition to Scent Killer Gold.

I was just wondering who uses one and if the hype/price is worth it.

WILDGAME Inovations ZeroTrace™ PureION™ Field Generator

Ozonics HR-300
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 4:28:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Just air out your clothes really good. I killed a lot of deer with a bow before all of this scent stuff hit the market.
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 5:08:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just air out your clothes really good. I killed a lot of deer with a bow before all of this scent stuff hit the market.
View Quote

A good hunter Is effective even without these tricks. That said, i have seen people using a scent killer spray. I Just don't put on freshly cleaned jackets or pants. My hunting clothes smells like the Woods
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 5:44:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 7:26:40 PM EDT
[#4]
When I first started bow hunting, I had an old MOPP suit from when i was in the Army. I killed a lot of deer wearing that suit and never used any other scent control. It seems like the weather is much hotter during the early how season now and I sweat really bad, so i get winded more even without wind.  Maybe i should try to  find another MOPP suit.
Link Posted: 8/8/2020 9:10:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 9:52:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Starting 2 weeks out from deer season, I would start washing myself in scent free soap when showering. It was odd because I got out of the shower smelling like nothing. I would also religiously wash my clothes in scent free soap; I tried all the scent blocker or whatever and realized I was getting ripped off when All free and clear was a fraction of the price per ounce.

I bought an ozone machine to clean my truck and my clothes as well. Seemed to work pretty good, my stuff basically smelled like nothing.

I believe in hunting the wind, but I also know that sometimes the wind won’t cooperate for days at a time where I was hunting. I tried to hunt with my face to the wind, but as circumstances dictate it doesn’t always happen and therefore had a pretty strict routine to deodorize myself. I’ve had deer directly downwind of me from 5-30+ yards and they hadn’t indicated via their motions that they’ve noticed a strange smell in the area.

ETA: always wear rubber boots. I always tried to walk through a creek/ditch/whatever to get some water and mud on my boots before entering the area where my deer stand was. I’ve yet to have one curiously follow my foot trail in, or spook because they ran across my trail.
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 8:35:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Here is how my brother and I do it.  My brother is in the Boone and Crocket book for a typical whitetail.  I keep my hunting clothes in an old metal cooler, sealed up.  Sometimes I’ll put a woods scent wafer in the cooler.  I don’t want them absorbing smells from the house, car, etc.  I use “Sportwash” which is made to wash fleece.  It jkust takes a capful for a load of laundry.  Fleece is hollow like macaronni, and the reason you use Sportwash is that it does not clog the tubes inside the fibers.  This keeps the fiber operating at their optimum heating capacity.

Attachment Attached File

Now here is my secret.  Just go on a beekeeping website and order a hand smoker.  Light it up with woodchips from Home Depot, any species will work.  Use a trigger propane torch to get the smoker lit.  Close the lid, and smoke yourself.  All over yourself.  smoke is natural in the natural world, and deer don’t spook smelling it.  It hides everything.  There is a compound called lichen or something similar that binds with scent and grabs it, so it is not spread.  I have had deer so close to me I could touch them, and they could not smell me.  My brother thought I was nuts.  He tried it and had the same experience the first time out and is now an absolute believer..
Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top