Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/13/2018 5:10:26 PM EDT
The plan is to get my tech (and possibly general) license in a week.  Main drive for this whole endeavor is for the BF and I to have comms in case of emergency and also while we're out in the mountains outside of cell phone range.  In spite of being female shopping is  not my favorite thing to do.  Going with HTs to start is the direction I'm leaning, with the idea that I will invest in a mobile rig in the somewhat near future.  I see a lot of push towards the Yaesu 60R for people starting up.  What is beyond my understanding in large part are what features do I need/want versus which are going to be a waste of my money.

Help/advice will be much appreciated.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 5:38:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I have an AnyTone 868 which is dual and does DMR.

That said. If you're out in the boonies with no repeaters around.
You're probably going to have a hard time contacting anyone.
You might get lucky though.

I just got my Tech about 2 months ago, the more knowledgeable guys will be along shortly.
Guys here convinced me to get my General so I'm studying for it currently
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 5:44:22 PM EDT
[#2]
FT-60 for the win.  And for radio advice, go to a radio forum.   https://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/
https://forums.qrz.com/index.php
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 5:58:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Hey, I'm Cale and I did a Ham Radio Podcast for a few years (recently quit)
This is my Start Here Page (How-To-Ham, shopping episode(s) links as well as personal equipment recommendations)

Hope some of that helps, you're in the best place on the internet to be askin' questions!
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 6:27:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 9:57:09 PM EDT
[#5]
The FT-60R is a simple and easy to use 5 watt radio. Its been around for a long time and has quite a few accessories.
With that said what kind of range are you wanting to reach out and talk to? 5 watts is only good for 0-10 miles. More with height (line of site).
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 10:10:53 PM EDT
[#6]
FT 60 is the Glock 19 of HT’s
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 11:27:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
FT 60 is the Glock 19 of HT's
View Quote
Nope - it fits more people's hands than the G19.

FT-60 is a nice balance of quality, capability and affordability. You can easily spend more or get worse quality, but why?
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 12:18:30 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm a fan of the Baofeng UV-B5 (no other model), as it's actually a pretty decent little radio for very little money. The more popular Baofengs are not as good.

HTs tend to get lost, damaged, wet, or forgotten... inexpensive makes that easier to swallow, and lets you put more money into a good mobile, base setup, etc.

Or you can spend a whole lot more for two FT-60s and get a nicer display and a bunch of features that you'll never use, along with poorer battery life.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 9:30:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Main drive for this whole endeavor is for the BF and I to have comms in case of emergency and also while we're out in the mountains outside of cell phone range.
View Quote
@Lizzard: people are just throwing out radio ideas without even knowing what your actual requirements are. Perhaps we should discuss what you actually want to accomplish in more detail before making any suggestions.

Most of the time new radio users are quite disappointed in what they can actually achieve with a couple of handheld radios, just sayin'...

Important questions that need to be answered before any good suggestions can be made:

1. Over what distances do you want to communicate with your BF?
2. Over what kind of terrain? Will you always be within line of sight of each other (ignoring foliage), or will there be hills and other terrain in the way?
3. Do you feel that you are willing to rely on repeaters, or do you lump them in with the cell towers in terms of reliability during an emergency?
4. If you are OK with using repeaters, what kind of repeaters are there around you? Analog? Digital? What kind of digital (DMR, Dstar, Fusion, etc.)?
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 1:58:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
@Lizzard: people are just throwing out radio ideas without even knowing what your actual requirements are. Perhaps we should discuss what you actually want to accomplish in more detail before making any suggestions.

Most of the time new radio users are quite disappointed in what they can actually achieve with a couple of handheld radios, just sayin'...

Important questions that need to be answered before any good suggestions can be made:

2. Over what kind of terrain? Will you always be within line of sight of each other (ignoring foliage), or will there be hills and other terrain in the way?
3. Do you feel that you are willing to rely on repeaters, or do you lump them in with the cell towers in terms of reliability during an emergency?
4. If you are OK with using repeaters, what kind of repeaters are there around you? Analog? Digital? What kind of digital (DMR, Dstar, Fusion, etc.)?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Main drive for this whole endeavor is for the BF and I to have comms in case of emergency and also while we're out in the mountains outside of cell phone range.

I appreciate everyone's feedback so far, but this is the stuff I needed @aa777888-2. The questions I dont know to ask. Thank you.  
Answers: 1.  Town is 20+ miles from home.  In the event of SHTF,  it is very likely that we could be that far apart.  If he goes to the mountains and I stay home and we need the option for emergency comms, we're looking at around 20+ miles again.  Ultimately we are generally within about a 50 mile area of operations.
2. Town to home, home to mountain there is pretty good line of sight.  Nevada has more mountain ranges than any other state.  Lots of hills, lots of valleys.   Mostly they run North/South.  As long as we're in the same valley, or up at the top, line of sight will be outstanding.  I get that if we're in separate valleys, radios won't work.
3./4. The repeaters that we have locally are about a mile North of town (20ish miles from home.)  My dad lives in town and reports some activity with them, he's new to the area though and hasn't tested the reach.  I've been trying to find a local HAM with knowledge of how far out the repeaters are good and am currently coming up empty.  So for now, I'm thinking I'm not counting on them.

I'm fairly certain that for what I want I will have to get a mobile/base unit.  Probably in 6 months to year that will be next. It seems I have more drive/interest in this.  Hoping the BF has more aptitude.  He sees the point in going this route but would prefer to use his brain for ballistics info.  HTs seem like the best first step because we both need radios to have any chance at comms and we have to start somewhere.

I truly appreciate the help, and the questions.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 3:25:59 PM EDT
[#11]
My advice... get your licenses and a couple of inexpensive HTs (and maybe a spare). I've already suggested the BF UV-B5. That's under $100 combined for the both of you.

Get on the air and see what kind of coverage you get from the repeaters in your area. If the repeaters are active at all hopefully you'll find some other people who are familiar with the coverage areas of existing repeaters.

Something else to take a look at might be the APRS tracking/messaging system, to see if there is any local activity.
https://aprs.fi/

If you'd happen to have good APRS coverage in the remote area you travel to, an APRS-capable HT might be something to consider.

Of course with enough time/energy/money/connections you can make repeater and/or APRS coverage almost anywhere with amateur radio, if it comes to that.

If the APRS tracking looks like something of interest to you, the Kenwood 710 mobile would be something to consider as it does APRS and digipeating in-radio.

"Ham" is a slang term for amateur radio and not an acronym.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 4:36:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

"Ham" is a slang term for amateur radio and not an acronym.
View Quote
Thank you.  For whatever reason my tablet loves to fix things wrong for me.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 5:50:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I appreciate everyone's feedback so far, but this is the stuff I needed @aa777888-2. The questions I dont know to ask. Thank you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

1.  Town is 20+ miles from home.  In the event of SHTF,  it is very likely that we could be that far apart.  If he goes to the mountains and I stay home and we need the option for emergency comms, we're looking at around 20+ miles again.  Ultimately we are generally within about a 50 mile area of operations.
Here's the equation you need: approx. distance to the radio horizon (round, smooth Earth) is 4*sqrt(h1+h2)/3, where distance is in nautical miles, h1 is the height of radio antenna #1 and h2 is the height of radio antenna #2. So for, let's call it 18 NM and no terrain in the way, you need 182 total feet. In other words, a repeater. However, with a directional antenna (e.g. Yagi--google it) up about 50ft in the direction of town and a 50W radio at home and a 50W mobile radio in town, you might make it happen without a repeater. It's marginal without a repeater, though.

3./4. The repeaters that we have locally are about a mile North of town (20ish miles from home.)  My dad lives in town and reports some activity with them, he's new to the area though and hasn't tested the reach.  I've been trying to find a local HAM with knowledge of how far out the repeaters are good and am currently coming up empty.  So for now, I'm thinking I'm not counting on them.
Actually, you are probably going to have to rely on them, at least initially. Alternatives are complex, particularly for newbies. Google "nevada repeaters". You will get lots of results. See who's who in the zoo around you. You might even find some nice coverage maps. This will also tell you if you want to add digital capabilities (DMR, Fusion or Dstar). DMR is by far the most popular. You will almost certainly have to find a local Elmer to help you program things, especially for digital repeater operations.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 10:24:02 PM EDT
[#14]
I really doubt that in rural Nevada there will be a need for digital repeater functionality.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 10:29:04 PM EDT
[#15]
The FCC ULS can be searched by town/zipcode and if you specify Amateur licenses only you will have a list of everyone currently licensed there. Drilling down gives you their address so you can probably find a phone number via Superpages Whitepages listing and also Email addresses by plugging a Call Sign into the search bar on www.qrz.com That should give you some folks to contact in your area to get some local advice. Good luck.

ETA: FCC ULS search page.
http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/searchAdvanced.jsp;JSESSIONID_ULSSEARCH=q420bKvKrhCwJGNNVmx2bZbSr2BbjwhvJfLhzG1lQ4SzGVQjDLnX!132828460!NONE
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 10:37:17 PM EDT
[#16]
RepeaterBook.com (and the app) will help you make sense of the Repeater Scene in the state too (FWIW)
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 11:03:52 PM EDT
[#17]
My $0.02 is that if SHTF there is a likely chance repeaters won't work. I would suggest getting mobile units so you have 25+ watts and a decent antenna. Learn the basics of VHF/UHF while studying for your exam, and after that just start toying around between the both of you talking as much as you can and getting familiar with your radios as much as possible.

It's good to learn to use (more so program) repeaters so at least you two can develop a plan. If it's mainly for SHTF scenarios, your plan is going to be just as important as your radio(s).
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 8:42:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Generally, starting with an HT isn't the best way to go; however, this can be done and improved upon by adding a mobile antenna to the car/ truck. Such an antenna will improve the range from the car and be useful when a mobile is installed. One other option for down the road is to get a dual band mobile radio with a repeater function and use the two radios together by talking to the mobile on 440 Mhz with the HT and having the mobile repeat on 2M.
Rob
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 1:51:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Generally, starting with an HT isn't the best way to go; however, this can be done and improved upon by adding a mobile antenna to the car/ truck. Such an antenna will improve the range from the car and be useful when a mobile is installed. One other option for down the road is to get a dual band mobile radio with a repeater function and use the two radios together by talking to the mobile on 440 Mhz with the HT and having the mobile repeat on 2M.
Rob
View Quote
@robmkivseries70 Tell me more about what I'm looking at for a mobile rig to do that, please.
Edit: I think I get what im looking for there.  Kenwood TM-V71A looks like it could be a good fit, very little APRS activity around here so 710 might be overkill.

I have found some maps showing good coverage of town/home/playground on the 70cm band.  Which should be accessible via HTs, if I'm comprehending things accurately.   However, the more I'm looking into this the more I'm leaning towards some solution like what you have outlined there.

If we do go with HTs, improved antennas are on the list to get outfitted with.

Loving the help from all of you.  A few of your questions/ suggestions have helped me deepen my understanding of all this.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 2:02:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Like Gamma said above, get a UV-B5, or a UV-B6, virtually the same radio.  They don't even need a replacement antenna.
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 9:58:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

@robmkivseries70 Tell me more about what I'm looking at for a mobile rig to do that, please.
Edit: I think I get what im looking for there.  Kenwood TM-V71A looks like it could be a good fit, very little APRS activity around here so 710 might be overkill.

I have found some maps showing good coverage of town/home/playground on the 70cm band.  Which should be accessible via HTs, if I'm comprehending things accurately.   However, the more I'm looking into this the more I'm leaning towards some solution like what you have outlined there.

Loving the help from all of you.  A few of your questions/ suggestions have helped me deepen my understanding of all this.
View Quote
The phrase you want to research is "Cross Band Repeat", where the mobile radio acts as a repeater to your HT when you are outside the car or truck. So you talk to the radio in the car on UHF ( generally shorter range) and the mobile repeats your signal on VHF for more coverage. Incoming return signals will come to your mobile on VHF and are sent to the HT on UHF. I haven't done this since the 90s    but one problem was the TX in the mobile identifying in a legal sense with a call sign when somebody talks back to you. When researching new mobiles, look for the phrase (again) "Cross Band Repeat". Some radios are dual band but don't do the repeat function.
Rob
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 10:45:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

The phrase you want to research is "Cross Band Repeat", where the mobile radio acts as a repeater to your HT when you are outside the car or truck. So you talk to the radio in the car on UHF ( generally shorter range) and the mobile repeats your signal on VHF for more coverage. Incoming return signals will come to your mobile on VHF and are sent to the HT on UHF. I haven't done this since the 90s    but one problem was the TX in the mobile identifying in a legal sense with a call sign when somebody talks back to you. When researching new mobiles, look for the phrase (again) "Cross Band Repeat". Some radios are dual band but don't do the repeat function.
Rob
View Quote
Hey Rob,

The Kenwood TMv-71a corrects the ID issue to make it all legal (my understanding).

OP, I use this feature nearly Every Day here on the farm (I live a long way from everything) and it's a pretty swell option of have in your radio for many reasons

This story is told from a few years back and the radio mentioned is no longer in production.
Mayday! Mayday! Mayday!
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 11:29:51 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Hey Rob,

The Kenwood TMv-71a corrects the ID issue to make it all legal (my understanding).

OP, I use this feature nearly Every Day here on the farm (I live a long way from everything) and it's a pretty swell option of have in your radio for many reasons

This story is told from a few years back and the radio mentioned is no longer in production.
Mayday! Mayday! Mayday!
View Quote
That's good to know, a morse identifier perhaps?
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 11:43:45 AM EDT
[#24]
yep, sorry for not clarifying
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 1:04:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I'm a fan of the Baofeng UV-B5 (no other model), as it's actually a pretty decent little radio for very little money. The more popular Baofengs are not as good.

HTs tend to get lost, damaged, wet, or forgotten... inexpensive makes that easier to swallow, and lets you put more money into a good mobile, base setup, etc.

Or you can spend a whole lot more for two FT-60s and get a nicer display and a bunch of features that you'll never use, along with poorer battery life.
View Quote
I read thru the whole thread. As much as it makes me cringe, get a couple of the Baofengs. They are VHF & UHF. Can get a longer antenna for cheap off ebay ... couple of dollars ... and is a must have.

This is the simplest way to know what where simplex HTs will work or not.

For future study, if you & he are on opposite sides of a mountain, read up on NVIS.
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 1:27:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
very little APRS activity around here so 710 might be overkill.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
very little APRS activity around here so 710 might be overkill.
Amount of activity is irrelevant on APRS, it's just a matter of whether you have digipeater coverage.

"Improved antennas" are only a thing because of the number of crappy radios with crappy antennas that people tend to buy (mostly, the Baofeng UV-5R and all its derivatives). A better selection of radio/stock antenna makes that unneeded.

If you're mostly using 70cm, antenna performance tends to be better in any event, the differences between different antennas will be minimal.
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 2:27:48 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm just about inspired to put a mobile back in the truck. Really, it's been an interesting thread.
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 2:30:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
yep, sorry for not clarifying
View Quote
No problem, when I did this it was with an Alinco 590 that had been factory up graded.
Rob
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 4:28:34 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm hating myself by posting this, but here is link to the underbelly of ebay ... Baofeng antenna. AND, it is free shipping so figure just under 2 months delivery LOL  There might be other available already on this side of the Pacific if you look. I went as cheap as I could find.

My other radios are Motorola ($$$) & UHF only, but you can wack someone over the head with the portable in self defense knocking them out and still have a radio that works. With Baofeng it will fly into pieces and the guy will be pissed. Of course this is a gun forum so the likelyhood of being unarmed is slim. But, just in case.

Edit: Prime Day at Amazon today could be your friend (enemy, but cheap) for radios
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 10:17:34 PM EDT
[#30]
For all the folks pushing the Baofeng, have you used them side by side with some of the "nicer" radios ?  Honestly I read through a lot of Amazon reviews and it looks like they are good for 12-18 months then crap out.

I'm not saying money is no object, but I get the buy once cry once concept.  It's not that I want to get outfitted and never buy another piece of gear.  However, I would like to get reasonably outfitted with things that will do the job and last.  Spending a grand to get this done isn't exactly how I want to spend all that money,  but if it gets it done and we're go to go for 10 years I'll be happy.

Leaning towards 2 Yaesu FT-60R and probably a Kenwood TM-V71a.
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 5:33:09 PM EDT
[#31]
@Lizzard ... my answers were based on what I thought was a lot of uncertainty. My Motorolas are expensive. Ok, they are the most expensive. But I worked for the company for several years designing radios. As far as I am concerned M is the only radio company. BUT, they aren't really "ham" radios but can be used in the ham bands.

I bounced between Yaesu & Kenwood myself. But, for my needs I have them covered in spades. You have a specific application that I did not and I think you are approaching this in the best way for you and your goals.

For what it is worth, I know several whose Baofengs are at least a couple of years old and some of my local friends have a few that bought when they were first available. As an engineer, I think they all suck.  But having something else as a backup makes me ok. It's not like having a plastic 3D printed S&W 686 to back up the real deal as the Baofengs do work. Most of their issues show up in technology dense areas but even then they can be subtile. Where you are ... there would probably be none of that.

When you get the Yaesu or Kenwood, you will want to learn all there is about CHIRP. Not complicated at all. But, yet again something new and make sure your radios are listed (they are). THEN find some local hams and someone will fix you up with what you need to program your radios ... local repeaters for instance. You can probably figure it out on your own if you prefer to be more discreet and come back here.
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 5:59:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
You're leaning the right way :)

I've either owned or used for an extended time every Baofeng avail.  
I have a bud that buys the 5r's by the 3 pack and recycles them as needed.  
I've bought a few buds the Baofeng UVB5 when I can afford to put a new HT in a new Hams Hand.  
My son and I use the Wouxun KG - UV series (have since 2011 and still going strong, back when it was the cheap entry model at $120).

My fav is the Kenwood Thk20 but it's only 2m beyond that, It's Stellar!!!!!!!!!!

It's pretty much 'get what you pay for' regarding sub $200 Ham HT's.
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 10:47:15 PM EDT
[#33]
After tonight, I'm wondering - are HTs really worth it? I tried checking into ARES where the repeater is about 11 miles away from me line of sight with no obstructions and couldn't get in with either HT on 5w. That's pretty sad.
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 7:37:04 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

SNIP
View Quote
I bought a V71A yesterday. It is a great radio. I am already planning to buy another for a base station in my home.
Good:
Cross Band Repeat: The kenwood identifies you by cw on every transmission. It is the easiest unit to stay legal on.
Programming: It isn't hard to program the unit from the buttons on the face. Many radios are an absolute pain to program. Ease of operation is huge if you really need to communicate.
Size: This radio is small. I've got my head unit installed into a small cubby in my dash, with room to spare. It opens up a ton of mounting options.

Bad:
Price: The radio is close enough to the Yaesu 8900r in price, until you consider it needs a remote locating kit for the face (yaesu includes one). It often needs a longer microphone cable - which is again an unnecessarily expensive cable.

APRS
I think this is a really useful tool for emergency communications. Even the most basic function of locating people is helpful. If stuff is going sideways, just knowing exactly where your other party is will be nice. You can see where they are, even if the task they are doing prevents them from keying the mic. So why not get the 710? Mainly it is too expensive for what it does. That ~$200 is better spent purchasing a mobilinkd unit and a cheap android tablet (must have GPS) to run aprs droid. As nice as the 710 is, it isn't touchscreen color tablet nice.
Now you will know where your other parties are on a map. You can text them directions or instructions directly to their radio. Your broadcast can also let people know which frequency you are operating on so they can contact you. This is all without having access to the aprs.fi network via a digipeater (link between radio and the internet). Add in your phone as a mobile hotspot and youll not only have more functionality than the 710 series, but you also have spotify, waze, arfcom and whatever else on your dash.

As an example - K1KRS is one of many compelling versions of the V71A to aprs via tablet and mobilinkd system.
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 8:01:33 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
If you can swing it without being financially burdened, I would do this.

The cheaper radios will work just fine for some of the things most of the time, but aren't that great. The FT-60 and V-71a will get you pretty securely set up for VHF/UHF FM work. Any other options or "upgrades" are optional, IMHO, with the exception of antennas. A good antenna is much more important than a "better" radio.

What I would NOT do is spend several hundred dollars on an HT, especially to start out. Don't even think about those until you have a good foundation of understanding and a proper base station / antenna setup.
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 8:49:07 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
After tonight, I'm wondering - are HTs really worth it? I tried checking into ARES where the repeater is about 11 miles away from me line of sight with no obstructions and couldn't get in with either HT on 5w. That's pretty sad.
View Quote
Simply a poor repeater setup... Which is not uncommon.
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 9:05:35 AM EDT
[#37]
To bdub's comment on needing an extension of the microphone cable . . .

ANY radio that uses the 8-pin modular connector can be extended very cheaply by buying a Cat 6 internet patch cable and an in-line coupler. We are talking about parts that cost LESS than $2.00 each . . . instead of vendor specific extension cables that cost $30-50 each. I use Monoprice.com for all my cable needs. Very high quality and excellent prices.

Cat 6 patch cable
https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=102&cp_id=10232&cs_id=1023204&p_id=13404&seq=1&format=2

In-line coupler
https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=105&cp_id=10519&cs_id=1051903&p_id=15697&seq=1&format=2

These are what I use for my Icom ID-5100A radios that I mounted in each car.
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 10:41:21 AM EDT
[#38]
I am going to try that, but some people have had serious interference problems using standard ethernet cables with the kenwoods. I am ordering flat cat7 to keep everything as shielded and far apart as possible.

That said, most people are only experiencing the problem on longer runs. The 3-4 feet I need shouldn't be an issue.
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 11:10:37 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yeah, it's interesting.  I just bought a FT60R, for some reason.  This is my first venture into VHF/UHF (other than 6m, and my time as a professional pilot).

I programmed a bunch of repeaters into the radio, and I'm surprised by some of the ones I can hit (pretty far away), and I'm also surprised at some of the repeaters I can't hit (closer).  I don't really have much use for a HT, so I've been listening to tower (and approach) frequencies over at DFW.  I can hear the planes in the air well enough, but I can't actually hear the tower.  That seems a little odd, because it's only about 5 miles away, and I can hit some repeaters which are much further away.  Go figure.

So the bottom line, is you just have to try a repeater,  to see if you can actually hit it.
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 11:36:51 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I bought a V71A yesterday. It is a great radio. I am already planning to buy another for a base station in my home.
Good:
Cross Band Repeat: The kenwood identifies you by cw on every transmission. It is the easiest unit to stay legal on.
Programming: It isn't hard to program the unit from the buttons on the face. Many radios are an absolute pain to program. Ease of operation is huge if you really need to communicate.
Size: This radio is small. I've got my head unit installed into a small cubby in my dash, with room to spare. It opens up a ton of mounting options.

Bad:
Price: The radio is close enough to the Yaesu 8900r in price, until you consider it needs a remote locating kit for the face (yaesu includes one). It often needs a longer microphone cable - which is again an unnecessarily expensive cable.

APRS
I think this is a really useful tool for emergency communications. Even the most basic function of locating people is helpful. If stuff is going sideways, just knowing exactly where your other party is will be nice. You can see where they are, even if the task they are doing prevents them from keying the mic. So why not get the 710? Mainly it is too expensive for what it does. That ~$200 is better spent purchasing a mobilinkd unit and a cheap android tablet (must have GPS) to run aprs droid. As nice as the 710 is, it isn't touchscreen color tablet nice.
Now you will know where your other parties are on a map. You can text them directions or instructions directly to their radio. Your broadcast can also let people know which frequency you are operating on so they can contact you. This is all without having access to the aprs.fi network via a digipeater (link between radio and the internet). Add in your phone as a mobile hotspot and youll not only have more functionality than the 710 series, but you also have spotify, waze, arfcom and whatever else on your dash.

As an example - K1KRS is one of many compelling versions of the V71A to aprs via tablet and mobilinkd system.
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-zvZcjoBiACg/VBNC066mv9I/AAAAAAAAFQA/DFOI14_MMMo/s800/IMG_4284.JPG
View Quote
Thanks, I have been following your thread.  Learning stuff there.

Does the Yaesu 8900R not offer a way to identify appropriately while doing cross band repeat?

That is a slick looking set up. I have a feeling this is all leading me down a path of more techie stuff.  
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 11:48:36 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
If you can swing it without being financially burdened, I would do this.

The cheaper radios will work just fine for some of the things most of the time, but aren't that great. The FT-60 and V-71a will get you pretty securely set up for VHF/UHF FM work. Any other options or "upgrades" are optional, IMHO, with the exception of antennas. A good antenna is much more important than a "better" radio.

What I would NOT do is spend several hundred dollars on an HT, especially to start out. Don't even think about those until you have a good foundation of understanding and a proper base station / antenna setup.
View Quote
As far as a burden goes, it pushes my next pistol purchase farther in to the future.  

As far as antennas... I can recall my dad spending a fair amount of time and effort on antennas at one point or other.   Then he was happy and talking to people.  Plus on road trips we always had his magnetic mount whip attached to the car and had to be really careful not to bend it.  It's amazing what I learned without even knowing I was learning.  Mostly I learned antennas are important.
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 11:59:47 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Does the Yaesu 8900R not offer a way to identify appropriately while doing cross band repeat?

View Quote
According to my understanding-No
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 12:22:18 PM EDT
[#43]
the  Yaesu 8900R makes little sense for most, because there is very little 6m and 10m FM, and it complicates your antenna needs

Link Posted: 7/18/2018 1:11:27 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

the  Yaesu 8900R makes little sense for most, because there is very little 6m and 10m FM, and it complicates your antenna needs

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Well that simplifies that decision.   Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 1:30:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Last week a big storm rolled in.

I grabbed my cheap UV-3R Baofeng, could not remember how to get it on the local SKYWARN repeater.  It was stuck on the FM broadcast band. 97.1FM LOL

then I grabbed my trusty old YASEU FT-60 and was able to instantly get tuned in.

I'm an HF DX chaser, and don't use VHF/UHF much.

for that reason, I like simple.

simple and easy to use.

for me, that's YAESU FT-7900 mobiles and FT-60 HT.
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 2:33:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I grabbed my cheap UV-3R Baofeng, could not remember how to get it on the local SKYWARN repeater.  It was stuck on the FM broadcast band. 97.1FM LOL
View Quote
Every time I touched my 3R's it was the same thing-I Freakin' HATE that radio (and I have 4 or 5 of them all in a box marked BAO-SUX)**also primary reason I've never bought a 5R!
Sorry OP, that struck a nerve
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 2:53:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Every time I touched my 3R's it was the same thing-I Freakin' HATE that radio (and I have 4 or 5 of them all in a box marked BAO-SUX)**also primary reason I've never bought a 5R!
Sorry OP, that struck a nerve
View Quote
yep

it's so cute, but I need the manual every $^@$%^ing time.

...and sometimes, when you google the UV-3R manual, you end up with the wrong version, and still can make it work

I use it for a middle of the night flash light instead

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 8:58:37 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
My $0.02 is that if SHTF there is a likely chance repeaters won't work. I would suggest getting mobile units so you have 25+ watts and a decent antenna. Learn the basics of VHF/UHF while studying for your exam, and after that just start toying around between the both of you talking as much as you can and getting familiar with your radios as much as possible.

It's good to learn to use (more so program) repeaters so at least you two can develop a plan. If it's mainly for SHTF scenarios, your plan is going to be just as important as your radio(s).
View Quote
the SHTF here in SoFla various times in the form of hurricanes.  The repeaters function for about 3 days without grid power, until the owner has a chance to go out and do a re-fill lol (then another three days, etc).

They've been pretty solid over the years.
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 4:02:48 PM EDT
[#49]
I honestly hate the Baofengs even though I own a few. MY .02 on the subject is to buy once cry once on something decent like a FT-60. The issues with the Baofengs are legion, the suck a bag of dicks to program (even with Chirp), and doing it by hand is something I was never able to actually do. Their receive sensitivity (probably more important than TX power) is awful and they sound like bag of smashed dicks on the air.

My basement test of trying to hit repeaters nets the following results
Key up with 2-5W and hit a local receiver.

My best recieve is on my commercial or mil radios, which get a nice clean signal.
Then my Yaesu HT's which get about half the signal, its choppy and sometimes cuts out.
The Baofengs don't even hear the repeater.

If you do buy them, I think you will later buy a better a radio because of the frustration with them not doing what you need done. The other downside is that it might turn people off due to how not good they are.
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 4:06:24 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Let me complicate it for you :).

If you are talking simplex FM the 6m/10m will travel significantly further in most terrain than 2m/440. There are good reasons that the mil ground radio band was 30-90mhz for many decades, and 6m is right in the middle of it and 10m is basically right under it. I have 1W 6m radios that work as well or better than 5W 2m radios out in the middle of nowhere.

If you are relying on repeaters, the point is moot.

The only downside to 6m/10m is that you need a big ass antenna to make em work.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top