Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/7/2020 6:31:14 PM EDT
Hey all,
As I'm continuing to work out my gear, I'm looking for a decent pouch for a small HT that I can attache to my backpack straps.  Most of the stuff that I've seen seems to really be tailored to more the types of radios with no real buttons on them.

Just wondering what any of you guys that are BB's have used and what's worked.

Looking for something that will fit Baofeng UV-5R or Yeasu VX-5R.

Thx
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 7:15:25 PM EDT
[#1]
In for answers and experience. I currently have a pretty generic radio pouch that covers the PTT button, it’s usable but not optimal. Pretty much necessitates the use of a headset, then the plug makes it a tight enough fit that accidental keying becomes a concern.

Two I’ve considered purchasing but have yet to pull the trigger on, so no experience-

https://www.military1st.eu/0102k-maxpedition-radio-sheath-large-khaki.html

https://www.tacticaltailor.com/radiopouchsmall.aspx

Sorry, can’t hotlink from the iPad for some reason.

edit- links made hot
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 10:39:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Maybe this? I don't have one, but ITS Tactical is a pretty reputable company.  I have been looking at getting a similar type pouch.

ITS Tactical pouch
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 11:02:41 PM EDT
[#3]
I have this one from maxpedition

and

this newer version looks cool too!
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 11:32:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 3:07:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Best one I've found is the EMDOMM MM GPS Pouch. The large pouch fits a Baofeng with 3800mAh battery and has room to spare. You can barely fit the extended battery in the smaller one, but a Baofeng with the regular battery fits perfectly in the smaller one.

You can unzip the pouch and it opens up until it's parallel to the ground, make your changes, and then zip it back up.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 6:17:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Maybe this? I don't have one, but ITS Tactical is a pretty reputable company.  I have been looking at getting a similar type pouch.

ITS Tactical pouch
View Quote
That seems pretty slick.  I'm not sure how I'd like the radio/antenna sitting on the side of my head but it is versatile enough to facilitate other options.  In any case it's light years beyond the 5.11 pouch that I have.  Too bad it doesn't fit my FT-60 (or come in ranger green).  Now I have to find something similar even though I don't need it...
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 12:59:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
In for answers and experience. I currently have a pretty generic radio pouch that covers the PTT button, it’s usable but not optimal. Pretty much necessitates the use of a headset, then the plug makes it a tight enough fit that accidental keying becomes a concern.

Two I’ve considered purchasing but have yet to pull the trigger on, so no experience-

https://www.military1st.eu/0102k-maxpedition-radio-sheath-large-khaki.html

https://www.tacticaltailor.com/radiopouchsmall.aspx

Sorry, can’t hotlink from the iPad for some reason.

edit- links made hot
View Quote
Some great replies...thanks all.  The primary issue as stated and bolded is the tight pouches that hold the radio well tend to push the PTT button...and make it difficult to get the headset connection on.  The ITS tactical looks good...expensive but maybe the best option.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 3:42:34 PM EDT
[#8]
I have that pouch. Very well made, solid, secure. Holds a VX-7r just fine when adjusted almost to it's smallest limit, and has quite a bit of larger  adjustment from there. The depth of the pouch can adjust, as does the girth. A full shitload better than that stupid belt clip that comes with the VX-7r.

Never had the pouch actuate the PTT with that radio.

I use it with a speaker/mic. The volume/tuning knob is on top and accessible, but the elastic shock cord can sometimes move it off frequency. I lock the controls when I carry it, as should be done even with the belt clip. Operating any other controls on the radio is pretty much impossible without pulling the radio out. I guess that's the same issue with any radio with front-panel controls.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 5:56:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I have that pouch. Very well made, solid, secure. Holds a VX-7r just fine when adjusted almost to it's smallest limit, and has quite a bit of larger  adjustment from there. The depth of the pouch can adjust, as does the girth. A full shitload better than that stupid belt clip that comes with the VX-7r.

Never had the pouch actuate the PTT with that radio.

I use it with a speaker/mic. The volume/tuning knob is on top and accessible, but the elastic shock cord can sometimes move it off frequency. I lock the controls when I carry it, as should be done even with the belt clip. Operating any other controls on the radio is pretty much impossible without pulling the radio out. I guess that's the same issue with any radio with front-panel controls.
View Quote
Thanks for the input, as that’s the one I’m leaning towards. That ITS one looks nice and I like all the mounting options, but like a lot of these things, it’s considerably taller than my radio. The Tactical Tailor piece looks like it will do the job well without adding a lot of unnecessary bulk.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 10:50:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Usgi m4 mag pouches work well for radio pouches.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 5:22:08 PM EDT
[#11]
The condor hhr pouch works for the baofeng radios, and runs about 8 bucks.
No way I am paying two or three times what a radio costs, for a friggin pouch.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 5:51:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The condor hhr pouch works for the baofeng radios, and runs about 8 bucks.
No way I am paying two or three times what a radio costs, for a friggin pouch.
View Quote
Some of us spent more than $25 on our radios. I ordered the Tactical Tailor pouch, expressed as a ratio, I spent less than you did. ;)
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 4:38:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Beez Combat Systems for a UV5x3 working great here. Didn't pay $29 though.

BCS Pouch
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 9:35:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Some of us spent more than $25 on our radios. I ordered the Tactical Tailor pouch, expressed as a ratio, I spent less than you did. ;)
View Quote
Gotcha. Most pouches are kind of large for the baofeng radios, which face it, 90 percent of the folks reading this thread have.
There are pouches that fit the uv5r on Amazon for 4 bucks.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 10:09:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Turns out the Tactical Tailor pouch is backordered until late March/early April. I left the order in place but being the impatient type, I kept looking. Found this on Amazon and figured for $14, I'd give it a shot.

All in all, not bad. The "molle" straps on the back are kinda cheesy and use velcro instead of a snap or clip. The straps for mounting it horizontally on a belt (or perhaps on a thinner backpack strap) are velcro, small, and not at all confidence inspiring. I have a feeling I'll end up cutting those off just to get them out of the way.

I'm going to wait for the TT unit and this will probably end up in a drawer somewhere, but for $14, it ain't bad.

Good fit for my chubby D878-
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Not bad for a Baofeng w/ extended battery, but the aforementioned mag pouch is probably just as good an option-
Attachment Attached File

Kinda swallows a Baofeng with the standard battery-
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 10:26:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 10:22:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Maxpedition makes a nice Molle compatible pouch:  https://www.maxpedition.com/collections/pouches/products/rdp-radio-pouch?variant=28157272657

Like all their stuff, it is very well built.

Link Posted: 2/20/2020 12:24:20 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm a member of the Amateur Radio Emergency Service (ARES), and for field use, I use a coyote chest rig as a chest radio holder.  I'm running two of the small coyote USMC surplus radio pouches.  They work good for smaller size radios, like my Icom T2H, Baofeng DM-1701 or my other ICOM HT.

If I need to clip a bigger radio on, I attach the belt clip on my Kenwood or Motorola radios to a surplus K-Bar molle adapter on the chest rig.  Works like a champ for my needs, but i'm also not running, jumping, diving for cover, etc.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top