Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/1/2018 2:04:11 PM EDT
I need several relays to switch antennas for a homebrew project in a box that operate 12 volt DC

Does anybody know what kind I need?

Will a regular contact automotive relay work with little insertion loss or do I need a specialized rf relay?

I cant seem to find any info on what I need.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 2:29:44 PM EDT
[#1]
If My pea brain is working, Yes.
I would caution you to go Bosche brand. Also check eHam and QRZ to see what's been done before. You might find a easy way to build your setup.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 2:45:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I built an antenna switching unit based on this KK1L board. It works great. You can take a look at the parts list for that.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 10:18:26 AM EDT
[#3]
What about the ham radio workbench 4 way switch kit?
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 2:09:47 PM EDT
[#4]
How much power are you going to transmit through them?
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 6:29:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Remote antenna switch

Are you looking to build something like this?
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 6:53:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How much power are you going to transmit through them?
View Quote
100 watts

I am going to put different taps on my wolf river coil under my fiberglass cap of my truck and change bands with a switch
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 6:54:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Remote antenna switch

Are you looking to build something like this?
View Quote
nope
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 3:26:43 PM EDT
[#8]
@Mach   Let me look in my vast inventory over the next couple days. I have a bunch of relays all different sizes

and some are mercury wetted.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 3:51:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
@Mach   Let me look in my vast inventory over the next couple days. I have a bunch of relays all different sizes

and some are mercury wetted.
View Quote
thanks

I picked up some 40 amp automotive relays for cheap and will see if they work.

Instead of getting a motorized screw driver that would not have a good place to go on my truck, I put a coil under the fiberglass cap and a whip on top and will have 20/40/80 taps that I will select via the relays and a switch box

I think it will work  , but we will see. I talk to the EU and the west coast driving around town so the concept works, I just want to make it easier to change bands
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 5:04:21 PM EDT
[#10]
@Mach  The only "simple" relays (spst n/o or n/c) I have are only rated at

1 amp. Probably too small for 100w. They are mercury wetted, PC board mount.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 7:13:05 PM EDT
[#11]
If your tapped setup turns out to be anything like the loading-coil-switcher-inner-outer that I used for my 23 ft vert, then voltage standoff on low bands like 80 M is going to be the problem.  I had to use a small vacuum relay to do the job at 100 watts.   It arced like crazy at 200 or 300 watts.

On 40 M, voltage isn't too bad - a few hundred to several hundred volts on the output side of a loading coil.

On 80 M, voltage can easily be a  few to several kV, depending upon the radiator length.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 4:36:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
@Mach  The only "simple" relays (spst n/o or n/c) I have are only rated at

1 amp. Probably too small for 100w. They are mercury wetted, PC board mount.
View Quote
thanks for looking but yeah 1 amp is likely too little
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 4:45:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If your tapped setup turns out to be anything like the loading-coil-switcher-inner-outer that I used for my 23 ft vert, then voltage standoff on low bands like 80 M is going to be the problem.  I had to use a small vacuum relay to do the job at 100 watts.   It arced like crazy at 200 or 300 watts.

On 40 M, voltage isn't too bad - a few hundred to several hundred volts on the output side of a loading coil.

On 80 M, voltage can easily be a  few to several kV, depending upon the radiator length.
View Quote
ok thanks. that may  be a problem then

I did not realize the voltage would go up with lower freq even if the tap was a good SWR match but now that I think about it the lower the band the higher the Q for same length antenna and smaller the bandwidth which will lead to increase voltage and SWR and mismatch off that single freq that the tuner has to deal with leading to high voltages on the feedline which is where the relay will be, before the coil.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top