Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/21/2022 7:07:15 PM EDT
I'm really stuck deciding between a more "traditional" and a shorter-barreled hunting rifle.

More specifically I'm looking at a new Tikka T3x Roughtech Ember in 6.5CM which is 24.3" barrel or a Ruger American Go Wild compact in 6.5CM which is a 16.1" barrel.
It will primarily be a plinking rifle but will be used for some over-the-counter hunting out west in the near future. I don't plan on taking shots past 400 yards. Lastly, I plan to always run a suppressor. Finished weight would only be a 1-1.5lb difference which isn't the biggest deal but I'm just not sure if I want to get a longer or shorter package. Talk to me.
Link Posted: 2/21/2022 7:14:24 PM EDT
[#1]
If you're hunting in dense woods and length is an issue, go short. If there's nothing making long a PITA, go long.
Link Posted: 2/21/2022 7:38:02 PM EDT
[#2]
If your placing a limit of 400 yards on hunting I would think the 16" would be ok, but you might want to compare the difference in ballistics.  Of course I think that depends on if your hunting deer, antelope, coyotes, prairie dogs, or elk.  I've been considering the same rifle , but I think the 22" barrel.  Mine of course would be used to shoot paper and steel an incredibly long distances upwards of one or two times every two or three years.  

I want to get one but can't justify it for myself, yet.  Good luck with what ever direction you go.
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 11:40:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Locally, no dense woods issues and my planned western hunts don't seem to have dense woods as an issue either. I just like the idea of shorter and lighter package. I'm not really worried about losing the velocity going from 24" to 16" because I'm not a skilled enough shooter yet to miss that little bit of extra capability.
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 11:52:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Regardless of barrel length, there's no way I'd buy a Ruger over a Tikka.
Cut and thread the Tikka, it'll be worth every penny.
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 4:44:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted: Cut and thread the Tikka, it'll be worth every penny.
View Quote

You are a naughty, dirty person. I KNEW someone would say this and its hard to argue... but for some reason I feel bad about chopping a perfectly good factory Tikka barrel. If I find a smoking deal on a used T3x lite thats probably what I'll do though...

Do you know this by experience? Do you have a chopped Tikka?
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 5:01:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

You are a naughty, dirty person. I KNEW someone would say this and its hard to argue... but for some reason I feel bad about chopping a perfectly good factory Tikka barrel. If I find a smoking deal on a used T3x lite thats probably what I'll do though...

Do you know this by experience? Do you have a chopped Tikka?
View Quote

I do, it's a 223 Varmint cut down to 17.5". It absolutely loves 77gr SMKs, and shoots even cheap 55gr FMJ @ 1MOA.

ETA: photo
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 7:41:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted: I do, it's a 223 Varmint cut down to 17.5".
View Quote

I LOVE this look/setup. Just not thrilled about sinking however much into it aftermarket with a chop, thread, and re-crown...
Have you had any problems with the bluing on your barrel with surface rust?
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 9:06:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I LOVE this look/setup. Just not thrilled about sinking however much into it aftermarket with a chop, thread, and re-crown...
Have you had any problems with the bluing on your barrel with surface rust?
View Quote

Yeah, it is more up front, and the Tikka is spendier in the first place. My Tikka makes me so happy though, I wouldn't trade it for any "lesser" rifle. One day I'll get a suppressor and it'll be even better.
Now that I look at the T3X lite model, I wonder how suitable the barrel is for cut/threading. Bringing the barrel back to 16-18" is going to be right in the middle of the fluting. Might be fine, I just don't know.

As for rust on blued barrel, it's been fine but I also live in a fairly dry climate and don't usually take that rifle out in wet weather. I've had good luck with lanolin-based treatments like FluidFilm and Woolwax instead of oil, they stay put much better.
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 8:59:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted: Now that I look at the T3X lite model, I wonder how suitable the barrel is for cut/threading. Bringing the barrel back to 16-18" is going to be right in the middle of the fluting. As for rust on blued barrel, I've had good luck with lanolin-based treatments like FluidFilm and Woolwax instead of oil, they stay put much better.
View Quote

Okay, thanks for the input. Yeah if I decided to get a Tikka and thread it I'd be getting just a "base" model without fluting and chop it. I'd have to find it for a screaming deal though... I'm very tempted now though. I tend to have some moisture problems with my rigs and I've vowed to never buy a blued gun again but for the right price I'd buy a blued Tikka and pay to get it cerakoted.
Link Posted: 2/24/2022 4:09:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Go short.
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 8:40:18 PM EDT
[#11]
If you're not looking to get as much velocity as you can out of the round, then I always opt for a shorter barrel.

Tikka uses the same long action for all of their calibers, even short action calibers.  Looks kinda wonky to me to be shooting a short action cartridge out of a long action rifle.  Expecially when there are other rifles just as good as the Tikka with an action matched to the caliber.  Just my opinion though.
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 11:18:30 PM EDT
[#12]
The Creedmoor isn't an especially fast round to begin with.  If you use a 24" barrel, muzzle velocities are often on the order of about 2700 fps...  My 6.5CM wears a 20" barrel, and muzzle speeds are 2588 with a 143 ELDx.  That is NOT fast.  Yes, that long streamlined 143 retains velocity well, but I really do not want to drop another 16" and end up with speeds running 2450 or there abouts...   It simply giving up too much muzzle velocity...  

THE 6.5CM isn't a super hard hitter.  This is due largely to the modest speeds.  If you start shooting deer at 200, 300 yards with a 6.5CM out of a 16" barrel, very low muzzle velocity means impact speeds are going to be very sedate.  Bullets will open (provided they aren't hard to open types like some of the monolithic HP bullets), but will do so very sedately and modestly.  Deer will die, but hits that don't break down the skeletal system or shock the spine are going to make for some long blood trails....  And modest exit wounds means blood trails will be sparse...

I've shot my share of moderate cartridges in 16 barrels.  I do not like them.  260, 7mm-08 and 308 are not powerhouse cartridges, but they produce a substantial fireball, a large blast, and obnoxious noise levels in short barrels.  In my experience, a 20" is just about as handy, but faster and far more pleasant to shoot. Your suppressor makes this a moot point.  However,  the extra 100-150 FPS makes a difference in bullet expansion and on target performance.   At 25 yards you aren't going to see a difference.  However, when shots are longer (and I'm talking 200, not 500), bullet impact speeds are simply going to be on the lower end of acceptable.  The already modest 6.5CM won't be putting much of a thump on deer...

My take?:  I own a 20" 6.5CM and would not consider a short then 20" barrel.  Just my take.  other opinions may differ.  If you opt for shorter, I would be deliberately using lighter, faster loads (120's) in an effort to gain more speed.  You dont need 3000 fps impact speeds to flatten deer.  2500, 2600, 2700 all work quite well, but experience tells me that there is a fairly noticeable difference in bullet performance when impact speeds start dropping into 2200, 2300.  Mot bullets simply dont behave the same way once the impact speeds start approaching the lower threshold...

Want to sort of help limit this issue?:  Purposely select a lightly constructed, fast opening bullet.  Once impact speeds go sub 2400, I alway use a Nosler Ballsitic Tip or a Hornady SST.  These aren't great bullets at 2700, 2800, and they suck at 2900+.  However, they do work fantastically once impact speeds are on the lower end (2400 or less)
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 2:51:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted: Once impact speeds go sub 2400, I alway use a Nosler Ballsitic Tip or a Hornady SST.
View Quote

Yeah, I realize I'm neutering the cartridge by chopping the barrel but since it will be mostly target shooting and learning the fundamentals of marksmanship it doesn't really bother me. I ran the ballistics and a 16" 6.5CM with Hornady 143 ELD-X would be a ~225 yard elk loading and ~425 yard deer loading. For my current self limits and skill level, I'm okay with that. Love the idea of softer shooting for range days and building skills, love the idea of short so I can slap my can on there and not have it be cumbersome. As long as I limit ranges to designed bullet performance specifications I'm assuming I'll be fine.

First field test with it will either be antelope or whitetail in Fall/Winter 2022 so we shall see. I'm not opposed to a 120-130gr loading for these animals. Would try to step up the weight for an elk.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 1:03:34 AM EDT
[#14]
I have been happy with my Ruger American Go Wild compact 6.5cm. The issue for me is with the stock size. I am 6'3" tall and the compact stocks short length of pull makes it a little hard for shooting in many positions for me. I put a full size stock on it and the compact stock on a 6.5G Ranch that my 7yo shoots.

130gr SIerra Game Changers are great for dear size animals as far away as you are comfortable shooting them. With a good bullet choice the shorter barrels work fine killing game.

I am a fan of shorter barrels for rifles that are carried much or in and out of a vehicle or blind often. Longer barrels get a suppressor further out and the leverage makes them feel heavier and are harder to maneuver through brush and branches hunting in the field.

Tikka's are pretty nice guns a step above Ruger American's in fit and finish and pride of ownership. The Ruger American is a great economic rifle that performs well but as a utility/beat around rifle I don't mind the dings and scratches as much.
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 8:08:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Tikka. Chop and thread at 20”.
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 9:33:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Once you get down to 16" I prefer lighter for caliber bullets to get the velocity back up and ballistics more reasonable. I run 129grn in creedmoors and 125 ssts in 308. Both still work very well at 3-400yrd distances. ETA on Missouri Whitetail.
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 10:10:36 AM EDT
[#17]
You answered the question as soon as you wrote “out West”.

Link Posted: 8/30/2022 10:24:26 AM EDT
[#18]
A 16" barreled 308 will take anything you want unless you are shooting ridiculous open prarie ranges
Link Posted: 9/10/2022 9:40:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Update for you all: I ended up going with a Tikka T3x Lite in 6.5CM. It had a factory 22" or 24" that I got chopped and threaded locally to 16.1". I DIY cerakoted the barreled action and rattlecanned the stock. Added a Limbsaver recoil pad and a factory vertical grip. Only change from the photos are that I installed a Dead Air KeyMicro Brake on for my Nomad 30 suppressor. Still testing loads with it to see what she likes. Can't decide on lighter or heavier bullets. Plan to use it for the January Antlerless Only deer tag in Iowa this year to see how she does. Hopefully next year antelope or a cow elk.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top