Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/4/2021 10:05:20 PM EDT
How do I keep deer out of my garden? (I think its just one about sure of it)

In the last 3 nights it's ate all my beets salsify most of the green beans the tops off most of the peas some of the foot tall sweet corn 3 pepper plants and even a tomato

Now I've had a garden here for 20+ years I've never had this kind of trouble
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 10:08:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Pee around it. String around garden with tin pie plates hanging from it.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 10:11:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Pee doest scare deer and today we hung some foil on fishing string around
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 10:14:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Put up a fence, a tall and strong fence.

A lady I know did that and it's "all that works."
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 10:21:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Go to a nearby zoo and ask for fresh “big cat” droppings and scatter them around the perimeter of the garden.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 10:22:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Hot wired fence or shoot-shovel-shut up.

Deer are rats with hooves.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 10:36:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Electric fence...
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 10:43:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 10:45:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

This but I will add that if you choose the fence option it needs to be at least 6 feet tall.  They can sort of fall over a 6 foot fence, usually ends in a face plant.  One faceplate seems to be enough to keep them out.  And it is somewhat satisfying to watch after they have walked through the tomatoes and taken one bite out of every red one.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 10:58:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Not sure if it works for deer or not, but the wife uses coffee grounds to keep the rabbitts and Coons out of her herb gardens...
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 11:25:06 PM EDT
[#10]
#1 It's much harder to dissuade a deer that has already found the garden than a deer that has never had a taste of what is on the other side so you have your work cut out for you.

#2 Hot wire fence, the hotter the better. I'm using a 6 joule Speedrite energizer. The display on mine says it's still putting out over 10,000 volts with 5 hots with weeds on them. I don't have to weed eat or spray the lines bc it kills any weeds that touch it (no kidding, brown lines of death near all the wires). I've been hit by it twice and it's enough to make a grown man cry out. You will set 2 fences 3 feet apart. 1 strand on the outer fence at 30" high, 2 strands on the inner fence at 18" and 42" high. Deer don't have good depth perception and if they have nothing (such as the taste of previously eaten garden goodies) to encourage them to jump, they will not "test" the fence. They just can't quite figure out that weird fence so they just avoid it.

I haven't yet had any deer problems with the above fence arrangement.
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 12:04:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Go to a barbershop and ask for a bag of the swept up hair. Scatter that around the perimeter. That much and different human scent freaks them out.
Folks around hear swear it works for about 2 weeks. Then do it again.
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 12:35:27 AM EDT
[#12]

I don't know about this solar one, but the battery operated scarecrow motion activated sprinkler kept the deer out of my garden
You may need two depending on how tall your garden is
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 1:05:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted: Put up a fence, a tall and strong fence.
View Quote
At least 8' high.
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 1:33:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
At least 8' high.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted: Put up a fence, a tall and strong fence.
At least 8' high.

I've gone through this. 12' conduit pounded into ground with nylon netting 8' high.
The ONLY thing that works other than lead poisoning.
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 7:03:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 7:26:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Around here, no fence=no garden.
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 7:38:42 AM EDT
[#17]
My garden is near my house, my dog keeps the deer from getting closer than 100 yd.
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 7:46:17 AM EDT
[#18]
this will work.

Link Posted: 6/5/2021 9:52:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Thanks guys I'm going to put some iris spring soap shavings around it today and a hot electric fence next week a nice gut shot so it runs off and dies is not out of the question bastard deer
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 10:06:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
You need a crossbow or silenced rifle. Deer ate your food, you eat the deer.
View Quote

This.  They're acting like pests and nuisance animals, treat them like one. Ratta tat tat with your gat, yo.
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 10:10:40 AM EDT
[#21]
They make a deer and rabbit spray that's suppose to repel them. Can find it at your local farm store in a 5 gallon jug usually

Edit: beat to it
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 10:23:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
https://odditymall.com/includes/content/upload/this-motion-activated-solar-powered-sprinkler-repeller-keeps-animals-out-of-your-garden-9243.gif
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0424/1630/8385/products/[email protected]?v=1617881509

I don't know about this solar one, but the battery operated scarecrow motion activated sprinkler kept the deer out of my garden
You may need two depending on how tall your garden is
View Quote
This worked for a friend of mine.
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 3:28:55 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Electric fences are pretty effective. Tractor Supply you can buy kits from them.
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 3:36:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Pee doest scare deer and today we hung some foil on fishing string around
View Quote

Speak for yourself. My piss smells scary.

The scarecrow sprinkler works well too. Was fun to watch. It’s like it waits and then splash!
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 5:15:35 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

The only way.
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 6:04:11 AM EDT
[#26]
We had a vegetable garden for years with a 3 foot rabbit fence around it.  The deer never bothered it, they seemed more interested in the fruit trees and ornamental plants.  Then last year they totally decimated it in 2 nights.  I ripped the rabbit fence out and put up 6 foot welded wire.  Still have issues with the chipmunks but the deer have not bothered it at all.
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 8:09:51 AM EDT
[#27]
Installed a Parmak solar fence charger, deer got tangled up in fence once a few years ago. Not had a problem since.
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 8:32:14 AM EDT
[#28]
A massive fence is not needed. Google Hot Zone Deer Exclosure. Been protecting my plot seasonally for 5 years with one in heavy deer density.

Works fantastic and you take it down after the growing season.

Link Posted: 6/6/2021 9:44:48 AM EDT
[#29]
Easiest solution I have found is to whittle a bar or 2 of Irish Spring soap around the perimeter of my garden.  Immediately repelled the deer.  Rain increases the potency.  Reapply as needed.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 11:26:14 AM EDT
[#30]
You either need a tall fence or, since you have gone 20 years without a problem, it seems this individual deer has identified your garden as a food source.

I would eradicate the individual perpetrator first before I went building that much infrastructure.

You can do it on the down low, SSS, and as long as you can self-process and don't run your mouth, you'll be fine.  It's one deer, not some intensively managed scarce game animal.

If you want to do it on the up and up, most states' fish and game will let you apply for a damage tag.  Sometimes a conservation officer will visit your property to verify the damage being done.  Given the details of your situation, I don't see why they wouldn't issue you a damage permit.  Farmers around where I live have almost limitless damage tags and they shoot deer off their soybean plots for the entire off-season.  They aren't going to care about one deer.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 1:21:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
You either need a tall fence or,
View All Quotes
Quoted:
You either need a tall fence or,

Why does this myth not die? See fence 2 posts above yours...

Quoted:
If you want to do it on the up and up, most states' fish and game will let you apply for a damage tag.  Sometimes a conservation officer will visit your property to verify the damage being done.  Given the details of your situation, I don't see why they wouldn't issue you a damage permit.  Farmers around where I live have almost limitless damage tags and they shoot deer off their soybean plots for the entire off-season.  They aren't going to care about one deer.

Every state is different, your example is about the best possible example but most states aren't that easy.

For example, in my state you have to meet a threshold of financial loss before they will give you permits. Because loss of produce from a personal garden is not a direct financial loss (you didn't lose sales of marketable produce) they will not issue a permit. If you ARE a commercial grower, you usually have to have around an acre of traditional row-crops 100% loss (or more acres of partial loss) to meet the burden. However, bc it's a financial threshold, specialty/produce crops usually don't require as much damage.

Lastly, the number of permits is based upon the amount of damage, you may only be permitted to harvest 1 or 2. If more than that is hitting the garden, it's not going to stop the damage, just reduce it.

OP, put up the 2-layered fence like several of us have suggested. If your garden is in the same place every year then it's a one-time deal that requires minimal maintenance. This way you can also add hot wires near the ground to discourage rabbits, coons, possums, etc from getting into the garden.

ETA, tall fences are very expensive and require ladders, lifts, etc to build and maintain. Normal height fences are built from the ground using the normal fence materials from your local farm store so they're much, much cheaper, even though you're building 2 fences around the plot.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 1:28:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 2:00:55 PM EDT
[#33]
I have a good recipe for deer fajitas if you need it
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 3:35:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Nuisance animal. Shoot and bury. Most states have laws on the books for it.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 3:55:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
#1 It's much harder to dissuade a deer that has already found the garden than a deer that has never had a taste of what is on the other side so you have your work cut out for you.

#2 Hot wire fence, the hotter the better. I'm using a 6 joule Speedrite energizer. The display on mine says it's still putting out over 10,000 volts with 5 hots with weeds on them. I don't have to weed eat or spray the lines bc it kills any weeds that touch it (no kidding, brown lines of death near all the wires). I've been hit by it twice and it's enough to make a grown man cry out. You will set 2 fences 3 feet apart. 1 strand on the outer fence at 30" high, 2 strands on the inner fence at 18" and 42" high. Deer don't have good depth perception and if they have nothing (such as the taste of previously eaten garden goodies) to encourage them to jump, they will not "test" the fence. They just can't quite figure out that weird fence so they just avoid it.

I haven't yet had any deer problems with the above fence arrangement.
View Quote

Best and most effective information posted yet.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 3:58:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
How do I keep deer out of my garden? (I think its just one about sure of it)

In the last 3 nights it's ate all my beets salsify most of the green beans the tops off most of the peas some of the foot tall sweet corn 3 pepper plants and even a tomato

Now I've had a garden here for 20+ years I've never had this kind of trouble
View Quote
Turn the stolen veggies into venison.    You'll be unlikely to have a repeat offender.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 4:08:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Get your free protein in exchange for them eating your garden
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 9:25:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Best thing that I found that wasn't a wire fence is a spray called Liquid Fence. I think it's made with pig poop, smells horrible.  But it was the only thing that stopped the deer and rabbits from wrecking the garden.

ETA: I also made a home-brewed repellant one year, using a hot sauce and water mixture. Kept the animals away from the plants, but I mixed it a bit too strong and it actually killed the tomato plants.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 10:20:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 10:22:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 10:26:02 PM EDT
[#41]
a crossbow
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 7:44:48 PM EDT
[#42]
I use electric fence with added goodies-- take a few 4 to 6 inch squares of stiff aluminum foil and bend into a v shape.  Put a dollop of peanut butter in the v, then hang them upside down on the fence wire.  It's rather fun watching them investigate the foil...
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 1:17:35 PM EDT
[#43]
8' electric fence, hot lines every 18" and ground lines between each hot. Serves as a physical and electrical barrier.

Its the only thing that works for me.
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 6:21:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I use electric fence with added goodies-- take a few 4 to 6 inch squares of stiff aluminum foil and bend into a v shape.  Put a dollop of peanut butter in the v, then hang them upside down on the fence wire.  It's rather fun watching them investigate the foil...
View Quote

I like the way you think
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 10:46:41 PM EDT
[#45]
We have an outside dog, she will trot out and bark at the deer to keep them away, but she doesn't chase after them more than a few hundred feet - still well on our property.  The worst damage we had was when the neighbor's sheep got out.  They hit the young fruit trees hard.
Link Posted: 6/11/2021 8:50:34 AM EDT
[#46]
Years ago I faced seemingly unbeatable deer pressure in the garden.  Nothing worked.  I used sprinklers.  I hung bars of soap, pie pans, commercial deer sprays.  I used hair, blood meal, piss.  Again, nothing worked.  I fermented eggs, added hot sauce, two full bottles of cheap cologne and hosed the garden with this shit...  it was truly eye watering, and it worked for less than 24 hours...  NOTHING worked.

I faced two options:  Building a 12 foot fence leaving my back yard looking like Gulag #7.  Or the single strand electric fence...

Single Strand Electric Fence

I ended up using the above.  And it works!  I cut small 6"x6" squares of galvanized sheet metal, bend them into 'tents', and hung them on the wire.  Used duct tape to secure them in place abut every 20 feet.  Hot wire about 30" over ground, solar fencing unit VERY well grounded.  Goober of peanut butter under each tent.  Annnndddd ZERO deer intrusions over the wire in the following 15 years!

The process is simple...  deer will jump through the wire.  However, when they get voltage in the face, they turn and bolt.  It is not a physical barrier, but rather a trained response.  The peanut butter becomes a fear-inducing thing...  Imaging sniffing the tent, or licking it, and getting voltage in the nose or tongue...

My experience with this has been 100% positive.   It just works..
Link Posted: 6/11/2021 5:14:06 PM EDT
[#47]
We ran 2 hot wires around it and our new raspberry patch yesterday I won't be back till Tuesday so we'll see we re planted some stuff id hate to lose it again
Link Posted: 6/11/2021 5:44:28 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

Truth. Anything else is just pissing in the wind.  

If you cant afford a fence a hot wire can have some effect but they will still eat wherever they can reach under or over the wire.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 12:23:27 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 1:51:07 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

So...wait.  I'm confused.

So you hang these "angle-iron" shaped metal thingies on the fence (and use duct tape somehow to keep them still (the electricity doesn't melt the duct tape?  I don' tknow, but the old Bulldozer electric fences used to be pretty damn hot when I was a kid.  Had no idea duct tape wouldn't melt/fry)...anyway...
View All Quotes
Quoted:

So...wait.  I'm confused.

So you hang these "angle-iron" shaped metal thingies on the fence (and use duct tape somehow to keep them still (the electricity doesn't melt the duct tape?  I don' tknow, but the old Bulldozer electric fences used to be pretty damn hot when I was a kid.  Had no idea duct tape wouldn't melt/fry)...anyway...

Electric fence doesn't actually get hot. It would take several thousand watts of electricity to actually heat a few miles of wire to that temperature. They work much like the coil/ignition that generates the spark on your car's engine. If you've ever gotten zapped by the spark plug on a running engine you know it's a very frightening, painful thing but it doesn't actually hurt you. Electric fence works the same way. It's a very fast pulse (milliseconds) of high voltage (mine is 10,000 volts) that zaps and scares, but never generates enough amps to harm. Amps are what creates heat and kills people.

Quoted:

So you hang these metal thingies on the fence, and smear peanut butter underneath the "tent" shape, and......what happens?

Do the deer come up to the fence, magically ignore the yummies in the garden beyond (which they could EASILY get to, since they can jump that fence with no issues) and decide to stick their tongues under the tents for the peanut butter?

Yeah, I get the mental training.  That's how you train dogs and bulls and hogs and anything else big and strong to respect a tiny wire (or a property boundary or a leash or a command).    But why do they ignore the yummies just across the fence?

Do they love peanut butter that much?

Confused Kitties is confused.  

As I pointed out early in the thread, the best way to keep deer out is to train them before there are goodies there. Develop the mental block before there is an urge. The deer may never actually touch the fence long enough to receive a pulse of electricity without something to entice them to contact the fence. Putting PB in foil piques their curiosity and gets them to sniff or lick the PB long enough to get a shock. And a shock on the nose/tongue is VERY unpleasant. That then forms the mental block to stay away. And our logic (knowing that the shock came from the wire) says "duh, just jump it". But deer don't have the logic and knowledge we have. They have strong survival instincts and they just know something very painful and scary happened over near that wire thing so as long as they don't NEED what is over there, they're going to stay away from it.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top