Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/8/2021 12:13:55 PM EDT
Gotta' love it when a plan comes together!

Groundhog Hunting 2021 Chronicles | Eps 1

Link Posted: 4/8/2021 1:17:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Groundhogs learn. They could tell my truck from other trucks. Id have to park out of sight and sneak up on them.
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 12:05:18 PM EDT
[#2]
In 40+ years of hunting these varmints, only a handful of times have I seen them up in a tree!

Groundhogs Can't Climb Trees Hunting 2021 | Eps 3

Link Posted: 6/26/2021 1:23:05 PM EDT
[#3]
They definitely climb trees! It's usually to escape a predator.

A neighbor growing up was messing around down at the creek and climbed a tree, unaware that a groundhog that heard him down in the creek had climbed the same tree to safety. Halfway up the tree the groundhog panicked and decided he was going to get out of there and came barreling down the tree at the neighbor boy. He was able to knock it out of the tree before he got to him.

I was able to get rid of one of the ground hogs in my barn because she climbed a tree. I was actually chasing after a squirrel that had been chewing on things in the barn. I ran out back with the rifle hoping to get a shot at it and heard a sound out in the weeds. I must've come out so quickly I cut the hog off from it's burrow. I just stopped and watched trying to figure out what was making the noise. Then I saw her climbing the tree...which gave me a shot I wouldn't have had otherwise.

They are somewhat clumsy climbers but their claws let them grip firmly so they can climb high if they feel threatened...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top