Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2020 9:12:15 AM EDT
My oak trees are full of acorns this year.  First time in a few years they are full.

But tons of green acorns are falling now.   I read that means the tree is distressed, probable due to wet ground.

Anyone got any insight into this?

Do the deer eat green acorns?  I would think not. but you never know.

Link Posted: 10/5/2020 9:26:41 AM EDT
[#1]
They will eat them, as long as they just blew to the ground and nothing is wrong with them. Acorns could have bugs in them or some disease that would make them inedible.

We have very few acorns this year, so we got everything planted over the weekend.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 9:31:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Don't they always fall green and then turn brown?
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 9:41:04 AM EDT
[#3]
They are like marbles on the ground just trying to trip you up. It is that time of year. Same time every year.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 9:45:42 AM EDT
[#4]
See mostly brown acorns yet to see green in north piedmont NC.  The leaves are still green as opposed to previous dry/drought summers where they would be dropping early.. We've had a mild and wet summer for a change which is nice.  Many summers over the last 10 years have been drought or near it.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 9:48:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Happing in my part of VA as well.  When the wind blows it sounds like someone is dropping marbles on the roof.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 12:21:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Happening with our giant white oak in NoVA. Wife says it's a sign of a hard winter.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 1:18:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah I was sitting in my tree stand Saturday and was being rained upon with little green acorns.

I guess it is just 2020.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top