Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2019 9:39:25 AM EDT
Last weekend was Michigan’s early youth only hunt,
Let’s the kids actually take ducks before every idiot with a decoy and a gun educates the birds.
Took my son out, he had been asking for a couple months and I decided he was ready

It’s kind of a big deal/rite of passage in my family, the waterfowl industry kept a roof over our heads and food in our bellies when I was a kid.
I can remember being 5 years old standing in the shop with my dad and uncle at the saw, swapping them cedar body blanks for rough cut bodies, and pulling and stacking the scrap cuts next to the wood stove..

I think this picture says a lot

They swam in right after sunup in a group of around ten, he waited until these two separated from the group and crossed each other. One shot, 2 ducks.
Granted his duck gun is a 20gauge Mossberg bantam with a optima mrds that’s been zeroed to point of maximum pattern density for heavi metal #4s @35yards,  but being able to wait for the right shot, knowing when it’s presented itself, and not spooking the birds doing it is pretty damn impressive from the worlds loudest 11 year old.

I’m happy, that’s 5 generations of men in my family now  that have hunted and harvested  birds on the same water.
Link Posted: 9/19/2019 9:42:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Nice work!
Link Posted: 9/19/2019 9:59:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Nice!
Link Posted: 9/19/2019 10:04:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Excellent!
Link Posted: 9/19/2019 10:37:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Good job.
Link Posted: 9/19/2019 12:47:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Hi five
Link Posted: 9/19/2019 2:34:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Thank you sir.
Link Posted: 9/19/2019 5:42:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Well done!

I will always remember when my son harvested is first whitetail
Link Posted: 9/19/2019 7:42:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/19/2019 7:57:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By goodmedicine:
Excellent.

My dad brought me duck hunting in the early 70s.
He was apologetic because in "his day" the ducks darkened the sky back
in the fall when he was young.

Despite his lamentations I was thrilled.
View Quote
Lol,
There’s over a hundred years of story’s and lore shared in the boar, I remember hearing my grandpa talk about when he was a kid and my dad retells stuff he heard from his grandpa, some of which involves outlaw/market gunning with punts and batteries
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 6:54:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Ok OP... I'm jealous. One day. Glad y'all had a good hunt.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top