Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/9/2024 7:59:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PadreGtr]
I've been studying for about a month. Sunday night I finally felt ready. I knew there was an exam session in my AO scheduled for May 4, but we're going out of town for 5 days between then and now, and I just didn't want to spend time keeping up with the questions until then. I looked for somewhere else and found the Spartanburg group was holding an exam session last night, so i signed up. I drove an hour and forty to the location. There were about 12 of us. I was the only one testing for extra class - upgrading from Advanced (a class that only exists in minds of those who hold it). I know I guessed at a couple of circuit questions. I don't think I missed more than 3-4 out of the 50 questions. Some folks took the Tech, then General back to back. I know a couple of them didn't get the general, but they tried.

I'm a junior senior citizen at 64, and haven't been doing much in the last 5 years. I started putting up a shack and decided to finish this in honor of my dad who got me into the hobby.

Link Posted: 4/9/2024 8:02:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 9:23:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Congrats. No more concerns about where the freq boundaries are
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 9:40:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Congrats, it's on my list for this year.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 9:40:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: piccolo] [#4]
Good deal!

I had to drive to Ohio to get my licenses because everything local was scheduled for when I would be at sea.

"Why don't you just wait until they have the local club test at the library that's less than a mile away?"

What? Wait six f***in' months? Yeah, right. I'm outta here. Gone. See ya.

About 5 hours later I returned as an Extra (A/E). The next day I bagged a couple of ATNOs on the Extra band portions.

Sometimes you just have to just get it done.

Besides, Murphy was an optimist.

If I had waited the 6 months then bigger'n shit something would have come up on the scheduled test day, anyway. Aunt Grezelda is celebrating the 43rd anniversary of her third divorce and we have to be there for it or some other damned fool thing.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 9:46:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Congrats!
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 10:02:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Congratulations !

Yep, sometimes you just have to get it done.
I took mine back in March of 1975.
Me and a couple of others drove up to Kansas City to the Federal Building, about a 200 mile trip one way.
I also was an Advanced and just wanted to get it out of the way while I was still young.

The written was easy enough, but the examiner had to struggle to find 100 characters in a row out of the
500 that they sent us on the code portion. In those days you had do have 100 in a row correct for the 20 WPM code test. One minute
of solid copy out of the 5 minutes the tape machine sent.

The sending test was easy, a guy came over and sat with you and gave you a piece of paper with some words
on it and you sat down with a straight key and started to send at the 20 wpm rate.
After a few words, the guy said "yeah yeah, that is good enough", and I was done.

We all passed the Extra that day, and Mitch  drove us home in his 68 Camaro. The good news was I got to
ride shotgun both ways.  We put "whats his name" in the back seat. And if you know anything about 68 Camaro's
you know they are not the most comfortable ride. He wanted to go along at the last minute after the trip had already
been planned.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 11:20:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Congratulations

In the old days the Advanced was widely regarded as the most difficult of the written tests. Now at least part of that is mixed in to the Extra test so you did the hard part of the written tests twice. The old Extra written was relatively easy, the 20wpm Morse test was the challenge.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 12:23:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 12:48:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Congrats!
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 12:58:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Welcome to club Extra!  Tech and General were relatively easy for me with my background, the Extra was a challenge to study for, but well worth it.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 2:57:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Mach:
Congrats. No more concerns about where the freq boundaries are
View Quote
Well, at least the ones inside the ham bands.  
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 2:57:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By KB7DX:
Congrats! 2x2 calls for the win!

View Quote
I'm one of those "incognito" extras.  
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 6:42:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Congrats!
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 7:05:09 PM EDT
[#14]
One of you bums show him the secret handshake and how to get into the Extra forum where us cool guys hang out and make fun of the Techs and Generals.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 7:40:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By PadreGtr:
I've been studying for about a month. Sunday night I finally felt ready. I knew there was an exam session in my AO scheduled for May 4, but we're going out of town for 5 days between then and now, and I just didn't want to spend time keeping up with the questions until then. I looked for somewhere else and found the Spartanburg group was holding an exam session last night, so i signed up. I drove an hour and forty to the location. There were about 12 of us. I was the only one testing for extra class - upgrading from Advanced (a class that only exists in minds of those who hold it). I know I guessed at a couple of circuit questions. I don't think I missed more than 3-4 out of the 50 questions. Some folks took the Tech, then General back to back. I know a couple of them didn't get the general, but they tried.

I'm a junior senior citizen at 64, and haven't been doing much in the last 5 years. I started putting up a shack and decided to finish this in honor of my dad who got me into the hobby.

KT4RF
View Quote

Welcome fellow no-code extra!
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 10:47:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Congratulations!
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 11:23:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TimeIsMoney] [#17]
Congrats!  I got mine a few years ago. I think I studied about 6 weeks. Missed 3, I felt pretty good about that. After that, I taught myself Morse Code.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 6:11:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Congratulations from me as well.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 8:01:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By optoisolator:

Welcome fellow no-code extra!
View Quote

Thanks everyone.  When I sat for Advanced, I also took the Extra and passed the written, but not the code. I figured I had a year to get the code, but never went back. 20 wpm is quick, although my dad was a Signal officer in the army, and he said he had guys working for him that would talk to you while carrying on a 50+ wpm conversation with their headphones over one ear. He was an AE as well, and did code, but was still amazed at the dudes who did that.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 9:02:08 AM EDT
[#20]
Congrats on the upgrade to Extra!
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 11:18:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By K9-Bob:
Congrats on the upgrade to Extra!
View Quote

Hope to hear you on the airwaves.  73
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 4:14:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Congratulations!

Now, start learning CW. It's nowhere near as hard as many make it out to be and a Hell of a lot of fun.
(FWIW, it's the only mode I work.)
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 5:14:10 PM EDT
[#23]
No code extra?? He was an Advanced ticket holder so he is credited for 13 wpm code. Same with me, though I tried the 20 wpm twice and missed it back in the 1980's.

Congratulations on the upgrade!
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 7:56:24 AM EDT
[#24]
Congrats, it is nice to not have to worry if you are in the right frequency block or not. Also there is a lot of DX in the extra class section on 40m at night. So there is that.

I kept my 1x3 vanity when I upgraded. I did just put in an application for a 1x2 but I am certain there will be a lottery for it.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 9:59:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Frank_B] [#25]
Originally Posted By radioshooter:
No code extra?? He was an Advanced ticket holder so he is credited for 13 wpm code. Same with me, though I tried the 20 wpm twice and missed it back in the 1980's.

Congratulations on the upgrade!
View Quote

Then there should be no trouble picking it back up.
The Straight Key Century Club might be of interest. We have several monthly "sprints" which are listed in the left hand sidebar.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 10:46:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AnalogKid] [#26]
Originally Posted By Gamma762:
Congratulations

In the old days the Advanced was widely regarded as the most difficult of the written tests. Now at least part of that is mixed in to the Extra test so you did the hard part of the written tests twice. The old Extra written was relatively easy, the 20wpm Morse test was the challenge.
View Quote

What Gamma said.

I went straight from Novice to Advanced back in those days. Extra theory was a cake walk after that, and given the amount of CW I operated then I could have slept through 20WPM and still passed.

My primary motivation was for access to the lower 25KHz of each band - where the CW DX hung out, and Radio Moscow's flame throwers DIDN'T.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 6:03:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Great Username!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top