Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/15/2021 12:11:04 PM EDT
Currently have an attachment that goes on our Kitchenaid stand mixer to grind wheat berries
Looking to get a manual one
Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 12:34:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Not inexpensive, but a very good mill, I bought the 99 model 10 years ago and it's still working as it should grain mill.
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 9:25:36 PM EDT
[#2]
We have used the Family Grain Mill for two loaves of bread, at least twice a week, for 14 years.  Plus other grains.

After 13 years the motorized base gave out.  Covid shortage had new bases unavailable for a few months.  The kids took turns grinding with the hand crank.  It worked but they were all glad when the new base showed up.

The grinding head is still going strong.

Family Grain Mill

This is best considered as an electric mill, with a manual backup.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 12:51:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 2:59:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Country Living hand grind mill and VKP hand mill for the counter top.

-P
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 12:01:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We have used the Family Grain Mill for two loaves of bread, at least twice a week, for 14 years.  Plus other grains.

After 13 years the motorized base gave out.  Covid shortage had new bases unavailable for a few months.  The kids took turns grinding with the hand crank.  It worked but they were all glad when the new base showed up.

The grinding head is still going strong.

Family Grain Mill

This is best considered as an electric mill, with a manual backup.
View Quote

@jchewie1

FYI, the Kitchenetics K11 uses the same mounting pattern as the FGM.  I had the grinder and hand base but lost it in my divorce.  I kept the flaker attachment though, and then bought a used K11 base unit to power it.  I'm also picking up one of the K11 shredding attachments; it will likely also work with the FGM manual crank base.

I currently own a Country Living mill and absolutely love it.   The FGM was perfectly usable and produced decent flour, but I'm glad I upgraded when replacing the one I left behind.
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 10:44:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Not inexpensive, but a very good mill, I bought the 99 model 10 years ago and it's still working as it should grain mill.
View Quote

Absolutely an heirloom tool.  Had ours several years now, ground a ton.  I will wear out and rot before it shows any signs of slowing down, not many things built like that anymore.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 8:39:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I've had and used the Wondermill (electric) and the Wondermill Jr (manual).

Both work well. Hand grinding is a lot of work. I need to replace my Jr for my shtf stash.
View Quote

@Rat_Patrol

I'm also looking for a hand mill and am considering the Jr "Deluxe" for my stash.  The Jr does seem to be the best on the market in regard to capability/versatility, durability, and price.  Just curious but why do you need to replace your Jr?  Is something worn or broke on it?  

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 11:15:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 11:34:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
We built a new house (on the same property) a few years ago, and we only took what we needed as we moved in while under construction. The mice IMMEDIATELY took over the old house (1800's log house) and my Wondermill Jr became got nasty to the point I won't use it.

The Wondermill suffered the same fate.

Both *could* be cleaned up and used, but food stuff and mice for me are

I feel the Jr was simple and rugged enough for plenty of use. We do have the adapter and pulley to hook it up to an electric motor or HD drill, because hand cranking SUCKS.
View Quote

Oh ok.  I was thinking you somehow broke or wore out the thing which seems like it'd be hard to do.   Seems like it's good to go for decades of daily use.  

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 2:16:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Anyone thinking about getting a Wondermill Jr.  Use the code TEXT10 at Roots and Harvest online to get $30 off.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top