Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/22/2021 11:11:19 AM EDT
Wasn't sure how to title this one.  However, I'm in the process of expanding our pantry to include 5 gal buckets for longer term storage of some staples like corn, rice, oats, salt, sugar, etc.  The major challenge I'm having is figuring out recipes I can make for my wife/family with ONLY what I have stored.  For making a bowl of rice, that's not really a problem.  Water, rice, heat....good!  But for cakes, breads, tortillas, etc. I need to figure this out so any help would be MUCH appreciated.

Over the pandemic I kinda went pro with cooking so I much prefer my cooking to any of the area restaurants with rare exceptions.  But for the gluten free aspect of cooking/baking I'm almost entirely reliant on Caputo Gluten Free flour which is far and away the best gluten free flour out there!! About 90% as good as regular all-purpose to the point many guests haven't noticed a difference.  Problem is, it's flour....it won't store long term.  And I can't buy berries (wheat) to store those.  It's a mix that actually has a decent amount of science in it.  So even if I were to store the individual components, it just won't be cost/space effective and won't taste/function the same.  

What I need to figure out is 1) What are some good (even if not perfect) gluten-free recipes that are (long term) prepper friendly?  and 2) When looking at the incidentals (i.e. baking powder/soda, dry milk, powdered eggs)....how can I store and bake with them 10-30+ years?  

If I can't figure this out we can still pop the popcorn and eat it along with the rice and oats.... but I won't go nuts with buying a Wondermill Junior and trying to account for these recipes.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 11:44:55 AM EDT
[#1]
My gluten free Pamela products have held up well.
But becoming diabetics we have gone carnavor and are now working on fats and protein.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 11:46:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My gluten free Pamela products have held up well.
But becoming diabetics we have gone carnavor and are now working on fats and protein.
View Quote

@bufschnelling

You've stored that stuff in mylar bags/buckets for long term storage or are you talking over a few years of storage in the pantry?  

I already thoughts flours of any kind do not keep well long term but maybe I'm wrong.

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 9:14:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

@bufschnelling

You've stored that stuff in mylar bags/buckets for long term storage or are you talking over a few years of storage in the pantry?  

I already thoughts flours of any kind do not keep well long term but maybe I'm wrong.

Thanks
View Quote

No on the self 10 plus years past expiration date.
I had large stores do to a celiac son then kids went to college and wife and I went keto 12 years ago.
So it sat. Kept thinking of it as expensive chicken feed till they gave me grandkids.
Wife makes cookies on the weekends with it and they all love it. Mixes and flour.

Link Posted: 10/22/2021 9:20:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

No on the self 10 plus years past expiration date.
I had large stores do to a celiac son then kids went to college and wife and I went keto 12 years ago.
So it sat. Kept thinking of it as expensive chicken feed till they gave me grandkids.
Wife makes cookies on the weekends with it and they all love it. Mixes and flour.

View Quote

What method did you use for storage of the flour?  Mason jars and O2 absorbers....moisture absorbers....mylar....etc?

The stuff I use hasn't compared to any others in taste and utility.  Might be worth a try to jar some of it and come back in a year or two to see how it does.  If that works.  Maybe I look at it long term.

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 2:53:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I have tons of stuff in long long storage  But these were all current rotation that were forgotten about. When we found we had Celiac children I just bought in bulk everything I could find and this stuff held up great in its original packaging.Attachment Attached File

There baking mixes have been good.
Storage was plastic tub on shelf in basement.
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 5:20:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have tons of stuff in long long storage  But these were all current rotation that were forgotten about. When we found we had Celiac children I just bought in bulk everything I could find and this stuff held up great in its original packaging.https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/524661/20211023_125128_jpg-2140815.JPG
There baking mixes have been good.
Storage was plastic tub on shelf in basement.
View Quote

Oh ok.  We stack deep with the Krusteaz Honey Cornbread.  Stuff is amazing!
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 8:37:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Oh ok.  We stack deep with the Krusteaz Honey Cornbread.  Stuff is amazing!
View Quote

We have all the cookies and cake mixes. This one was just sitting out when when I walked through the kitchen earlier.. All I eat is meat so I never pay attention to what grandma's making the kids.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top