Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/15/2019 6:17:11 PM EDT
Well, I tried planting turnips for 3 seasons and so far every year the deer have turned their nose up to them. I was hoping they just needed to "discover" them, but it seems like 3 years would be enough time to at least see them show a little interest. But no, they walk right through them and don't seem to want the turnips and don't even show interest in nipping the greens.

I always take soil samples to make sure I put out the right amount of lime and fertilizer, but maybe I still wasn't getting it just right and they tasted like crap. Either way I've decided this year to just stick with oats and wintergrazer rye in all my plots. Those are my go-to, can't-go-wrong anyway so it's just as well I suppose.

It's weird, I've got friends who hunt around a half hour away in different directions from me who have great luck with turnips, but comparing notes with my neighbors who've tried them they seem to have similar results as me. Anyone else hunt in an area where the deer seem to flat out not go for turnips?
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 6:39:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Planted turnips last year for first time.  Put in half acre this year again.

Last year I saw no action from deer until way after season.  In February I noticed they dug out some and took bites.  
I am hoping they provide good food for the spring by planting them this year.

I think they are bitter until after a heavy frost then the sugar levels go up.  Here in VA. That cold frost is I. December or later.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 6:58:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Planted turnips last year for first time.  Put in half acre this year again.

Last year I saw no action from deer until way after season.  In February I noticed they dug out some and took bites.  
I am hoping they provide good food for the spring by planting them this year.

I think they are bitter until after a heavy frost then the sugar levels go up.  Here in VA. That cold frost is I. December or later.
View Quote
Yea that's true, I'm in north/central AL so we definitely don't have hard winters. I could definitely see them being bitter here till around the first of January, although I'd imagine that once we began having strings of nights in the lower to mid 20's they would sweeten up. On that note though, I kind of figure maybe since it's stayed warm enough that the rye and oats haven't died off the deer stick to what they know they like and don't bother with trying something different.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 11:14:51 PM EDT
[#3]
In the past we have had good results with growing a combo of sweet beets, clover, and chicory. Another good one if you have a late cold season is planting a late season watermelon patch right before deer season opens.
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 12:46:49 AM EDT
[#4]
I had a similar issue with rye up here in Michigan. Everyone told me it was the greatest thing ever but the deer in my area wouldn't touch it.

I switched it up and went to clover, brassicas, and oats and they've been all over it.
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 12:30:54 PM EDT
[#5]
We have 3 plots.  All are predominantly clover/chicory based, but one does well with turnips in the mix.
The largest plot never had any luck with the turnips, likely due to soil/wetness issues.
The other "turnip-free" plot is between two corn fields, so we never bothered with it there, sticking to heavy clover only.

But as said above, you really need a good frost/freeze to get the turnips "ripe", then a hard freeze to lift them up to where the deer will paw at them and eat them.
For us, it has happened perhaps every other or 3rd rifle season (the two weeks post-Thanksgiving) but always by our Flintlock season, which runs 3 (now 4) weeks starting 12/26.
Link Posted: 8/21/2019 11:18:02 PM EDT
[#6]
We plant radish and turnips in our covers up here in NW Kansas.  We graze some of it for our cattle and other fields are just plain covers.  The cows and deer do not seem to eat the radish and turnips until after it freezes.  I wonder if you are far enough south that you do not get a hard freeze.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top