Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This, thrice over.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
CB radio might be a better starting place for those not wanting to put for any effort whatsoever. Those that want to learn and advance the hobby are always welcome.
This, thrice over.

Riiiiight.  Let's point potential newbies at a lawless chunk of spectrum where they'll be exposed to every bad habit under the sun, then wonder why they operate like lids if/when they get licensed.  CB is mostly clown shoes these days due to the almost complete lack of FCC enforcement.
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 10:46:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Riiiiight.  Let's point potential newbies at a lawless chunk of spectrum where they'll be exposed to every bad habit under the sun, then wonder why they operate like lids if/when they get licensed.  CB is mostly clown shoes these days due to the almost complete lack of FCC enforcement.
View Quote

...many hams got their start in CB......
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 3:18:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote

only because they are as old as RF, and asked Marconi for tips when setting up initially
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 4:17:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

first voice transmission was in 1906, when did voice on amateur stations become possible?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

because of inertia

this is all left over from the 1920s and 30s when you had to build everything yourself ( and not from a kit )  and there was no internet that would report or predict propagation, you had to know the basics to operate without electrocuting yourself or your kids with your home made antenna and open board high voltage tubes.

Old habits die hard.  

The code requirement was implemented when the only way to QSO was with code. That is all there was.  

Hell people talked on the microphone for 50 years before the code requirement was dropped

first voice transmission was in 1906, when did voice on amateur stations become possible?

dont know, that is a good question.

when amateur radio started hams had to design and built their own equipment and as far as I know it was all CW only.

My grandfather was a ham in the late 1920s. He only ever used CW equipment that he built himself until well after ww2. While voice was possible I dont think it was widely used  until after ww2 but I dont know for sure.
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 11:22:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I’m going to start studying next week while I’m on graves and take the test!
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 7:42:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I’m going to start studying next week while I’m on graves and take the test!
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/9/2020 12:43:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

only because they are as old as RF, and asked Marconi for tips when setting up initially
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/9/2020 1:10:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
The FCC is not to blame for people operating like assholes, and/or illegally.

The whole philosophy of the two services is entirely different.
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 1:12:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

dont know, that is a good question.

when amateur radio started hams had to design and built their own equipment and as far as I know it was all CW only.

My grandfather was a ham in the late 1920s. He only ever used CW equipment that he built himself until well after ww2. While voice was possible I dont think it was widely used  until after ww2 but I dont know for sure.
View Quote
75 meter AM was a thing in the late 1940s when a Class A license was required to operate 75 meter and 20 meter phone. (AM)

Twenty meters was 14.0 to 14.4 MHz then too.
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 3:21:56 PM EDT
[#10]

perhaps by the same affliction that robbed you of your sense of humor?
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 7:23:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You've pretty much made my point.  Sending would be ham operators to CB to learn is counter productive because the " whole philosophy of the two services is entirely different."

And the FCCs complete lack of enforcement on CB is exactly what's to blame for people operating illegally.
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 9:12:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You've pretty much made my point.  Sending would be ham operators to CB to learn is counter productive because the " whole philosophy of the two services is entirely different."

And the FCCs complete lack of enforcement on CB is exactly what's to blame for people operating illegally.
View Quote
They have been operating illegally on 11 meters at least since the mid 60s or so that i am aware of.

The only people I am "sending" to 11 meters are the ones who aren't interested in learning, and who maintain their 11 meter operating habits.

I think I have said that before.
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 11:18:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
They have been operating illegally on 11 meters at least since the mid 60s or so that i am aware of.

The only people I am "sending" to 11 meters are the ones who aren't interested in learning, and who maintain their 11 meter operating habits.

I think I have said that before.
View Quote

Don't conflate 'learning' with 'license.'
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 11:48:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Don't conflate 'learning' with 'license.'
View Quote
I don't.
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 4:33:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Test now can be done with 100% pure memorization. Even if you really studied and learned things only a certain amount of test questions deal with the law and actual on air use of amatuer radio.

Mentioned here many times about how the test don't teach you much if anything about how to get on the air and act while on the air. It covers how often to give your callsign.....

Thinking back 5 years or so there was a guy that was on often that people had tracked down and the FCC had sent a warning to multiple times about his equipment and on air antics. He eventually lost his license (not that he probably cared) and was fined a significant amount and they may have confiscated his equipment. It took a number of years to get to that point.
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 9:55:45 AM EDT
[#16]
I am drafting a set of comments in response to the FCC's fee increase NPRM.

I attempted to determine whether that NPRM has actually been published in the Federal Register, with an accompanying deadline for sending comments - that search led me down a rabbit hole of fedgov gobbledygook with no clear resolution to the question in sight.

But my tentative conclusion is that the NPRM has not yet been published in the Federal Register, and that therefore no deadline for submitting comments has yet been established. If, however, anyone knows that to be incorrect, please let me know.

Once all comments have been submitted by interested parties, as part of the process a second deadline is generally set for submission of reply comments addressing points raised within the initial set of comments. Many years ago I had made reply comments regarding comments that another ham had submitted for the NPRM that proposed authorizing the issuance of 'vanity' callsigns, and IIRC the FCC's final report and order on the matter quoted a point that I had made in my reply comments that the FCC used in support of the reasoning behind one part of the decision that they had made. So, there is at least some potential to have an impact on rulemaking proceedings by submitting formal comments.

The link for filing an 'express comment' through the FCC's 'ECFS' (Electronic Comment Filing System) is https://www.fcc.gov/ecfs/filings/express - they also have a more formal and lengthy 'standard' form for submitting comments at https://www.fcc.gov/ecfs/filings, but that is not needed in order to get your comments on file.

Incidentally, in researching this I came across an FCC web page for searching already-submitted 'ECFS' filings https://www.fcc.gov/ecfs/ (my search was for docket 20-270 - I entered that number into the 'Specify Proceeding' field as the only search specifier, and clicked on one of the suggested links without submitting the form - that took me to https://www.fcc.gov/ecfs/search/filings?proceedings_name=20-270&sort=date_disseminated,DESC which showed a total of 1,116 comments that had already been submitted (most-recent first).
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top