Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/1/2023 11:14:42 PM EDT
We're moving up to west michigan this summer and we're actively purchasing 5 acres now. It's all open land that used to be a blueberry field back in the day. Going to turn this place into my small little farm place with a few cows and chickens.

My goal for this place is to make it as energy efficient as possible. I originally defined the house for most of the living space to be in the basement from the heating and cooling aspect but the water table is too high. I've seen a lot of good things on geothermal systems and seeing if anyone here has actual experience with it.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 12:16:04 PM EDT
[#1]
How big of a house?  MI is a cold area so it might eventually pay off IF the house is big enough.  In my personal opinion, if you are building less than 2500 sq ft in MI, put the money into over insulating the house (which you should be doing anyway).  Thick walls....exterior sheet foam etc.  (Exterior foam is especially important if you want a really efficient house...either that or high performance construction like SIPS or ICF).  

If you are between 2500 and 3500 sq ft, then run the numbers carefully.  It may pay off...but it may not.  If you are over 3500 sq ft, it will likely be a good investment.  I would still have a backup heat source (I am partial to propane because I like to store my fuel supply-wood is good too but comes with some drawbacks too).  

I live in a warmer environment than MI....although we do get some cold weather just not for as long.  I did the math a number of years ago before we built our house and for my area, I wouldn't even consider geothermal unless I was building at least 4000 sq ft.  

I might have misunderstood your post but if you are installing geothermal into an existing house, you might be able to drop the sq footage numbers above.  My numbers assume a very well insulated house.  If you are retrofitting a heating system to an older house with poor insulation, then a geothermal unit may well pay off sooner even with smaller sq footage.  

Link Posted: 3/2/2023 12:32:05 PM EDT
[#2]
A friend of mine did it in Oklahoma about 20 years ago.  It was from a company he worked for so he got the employee discount.  He was disappointed.  It did save some money off his monthly bill, but not as much as he had been led to believe.  He sold the house long before he would have broken even with his instillation cost.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 1:16:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a buddy who has a HVAC company in 5 different cities .... 3rd generation.  

Some of the analysis needs to be a comparison between btu cost.  

Over the years I've had every kind of system there is [air heat pump/electric resistance [25 years ago and it sucked], natural gas, propane and geothermal] and currently have natural gas for my city home [put it in 3 years ago] and geothermal for my farm house built 2 years ago [the old farm house had propane].  

When I asked my buddy what did he recommend he responded: My parents have geothermal, my in laws have geothermal and I have geothermal.  

Additional considerations is comfort [my geo is very comfortable] have sufficient space [running laterals is much less expensive than drilling down], noise [mine is very quiet, no exterior compressor kicking on] and cost [I'm planning on my family owning this property for generations but even if it is only during my life time, that'll be long enough].

I ran the cost per btu and it was about equal between propane [before the petro spike!] and electric.  My electric is a rural cooperative and the most expensive is 9.7 cents per kwh.  

My farm is in north east MO, growing zone 5.  My house is 3,000 ft^2 of conditioned space.

I'd do it again in a heart-beat
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 2:37:09 PM EDT
[#4]
So home will probably be 2500 all in with either a basement or two story. Im hoping to do horizontal piping, some of which I could do myself if the companies will allow. This is my tentative last home ill own so I'll be in there for a while for payback reasons. I also like the idea of using it for water heaters and possibly heated floors in the bathroom.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 4:00:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So home will probably be 2500 all in with either a basement or two story. Im hoping to do horizontal piping, some of which I could do myself if the companies will allow. This is my tentative last home ill own so I'll be in there for a while for payback reasons. I also like the idea of using it for water heaters and possibly heated floors in the bathroom.
View Quote

I didn't do any in floor heating but it does prewarm the water for the hot water heater.  

I designed the house to host up to 12 so I have 2 50 gal water heaters
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 9:33:33 PM EDT
[#6]
I used to work for one of the larger Geothermal dealers in Ga. It takes a lot to recoup the cost. Also parts are expensive and some are odd. We installed mainly Waterfurnace and Bosch units. Both as they age tend to have limited supported after about 20-25 years. We found some boards were tough to find and bought extras to support customers we had.  Don't buy anything from Mr. Cool.  Good install is very important.  I would go conventional and a wood stove if it was me.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 10:02:40 PM EDT
[#7]
My buddy had a complete geo system installed 5 years ago.
It has needed to be serviced at least once a year, its been down 3 times,  waiting on parts was a few days to 3 weeks.
There seems to be a shortage of trained techs and parts for his system.
I wish I could tell you the maker but I can't recall.

Good luck
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 10:12:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

I wouldn't if I was in your shoes.  I would substantially upgrade the insulation.  The traditional 2x6 construction typical in cold climates simply isn't good enough any more given the rapidly increasing energy costs.  Insulation will pay off for the life of the home.  Assuming traditional framing, you need lots of exterior foam sheeting.  In warmer climates it's not as critical but if you do use exterior foam in a cold climate, you have to make sure you use enough to keep the dew point in the foam.  If you don't use enough foam compared to the thickness of the in framing insulation, you'll get condensation in the wall cavities...which is bad.  If you have traditional 2x6 framing, for your climate you probably need to have a minimum of 2 inches of exterior foam.  A really neat product is the ZIP System insulated sheathing.  You get upgraded insulation along with good air sealing.  I'd probably go with the 2.5 inch version.  It's not cheap but it's excellent.  I'd put the money you would spend on the geothermal system and put it into insulation instead.

People who build houses are interested in what the house looks like inside and out and don't care about the things you can't see....like insulation.  But, insulation will pay off for the life of the home.  We built an over insulated house (with exterior foam).  I calculated the payback time of the upgraded insulation to be 3 years.  We are 6 years into the house now and our utility bill show how smart it was to upgrade insulation.  We pay 1/3 of what people with the same size houses in the area pay for utilities.

https://www.huberwood.com/zip-system/insulated-r-sheathing
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 6:13:33 AM EDT
[#9]
I looked into geothermal for our new house build. Couldn't find any installers around here that would answer their phone or return calls. I figured that was a bad sign for service, so I dropped the idea.

Long after, I was talking about it with an owner of the company who drilled our well. He had geothermal at his house, said he figured he might as well given they had the equipment to drill his own vertical wells for it. He told me don't bother, it's not worth it. I can't remember what all arguments he had against it were though at this point.
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 7:32:32 AM EDT
[#10]
It's a no brainer, get the geo.....

I've got a 2200 square foot house with a walk out basement, Northern Indiana, probably heat and cool 3800 square feet minus the garage.  I've got good insulation and 2x6 construction.  I was spending $3500 a year in propane and who knows what the electricity was for A/C and hot water costs.  My furnace was getting old and it was time for a new one.  I also got a wood stove and was burning wood to help offset the propane costs, but it was a pain and lots of work.

I looked at outdoor wood burners, more pain and I didn't want to scrounge wood all summer.  Then I looked at geothermal and went with it.  Here are the numbers as I remember.  A new furnace and A/C was going to $9K and I'd been in the same boat.   A 5 ton geothermal was $17K and I got a 30% federal tax credit along with some state money which dropped the price down to $12Kish.  It now costs $1.2K a year to heat and cool my house and I don't have to burn wood.  Get the geo!

I went with Waterfurnace and I'm super happy.
My dealer installed his own loop, very important in my eyes.  No finger pointing if there is a problem.
I've had it for 8 years.
I have a closed loop.  The dealer said the open loops are a problem with minerals in our water.
I've got the hot water heater option.

That's off the top of my head...
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 6:18:54 PM EDT
[#11]
I had it in my last house. It was just shy of 6,000sq/ft. Air conditioning was stupid cheap in summer. Winter heating in Ohio wasn't  expensive to run and it kept up just fine. The only thing I didn't care for was the heat never really felt warm like you get with forced air gas.

I have had baseboard hot water heat, electric base board, forced air gas and then i heated with a wood burner in different homes throughout the years. Geo Thermal was the cheapest but I prefer force air gas heatimg.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 11:35:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I used to work for one of the larger Geothermal dealers in Ga. It takes a lot to recoup the cost. Also parts are expensive and some are odd. We installed mainly Waterfurnace and Bosch units. Both as they age tend to have limited supported after about 20-25 years. We found some boards were tough to find and bought extras to support customers we had.  Don't buy anything from Mr. Cool.  Good install is very important.  I would go conventional and a wood stove if it was me.
View Quote

Isn't there still a energy tax credit of 30% of the cost?

https://crsreports.congress.gov/product/pdf/IN/IN12051

There was when I installed mine and that made it cost competitive [not cost equal mind you but the other attributes were worth the additional cost after tax credit].
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 6:44:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Isn't there still a energy tax credit of 30% of the cost?

https://crsreports.congress.gov/product/pdf/IN/IN12051

There was when I installed mine and that made it cost competitive [not cost equal mind you but the other attributes were worth the additional cost after tax credit].
View Quote

That seems to vary based on how the government feels at any moment. The one Geo bonus seemed to be that you could warm the water going into the water heater and reduce that cost. I know from talking to home owners that had owned both most seemed to want to go conventional gas heat and normal AC in their next house.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 10:43:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

That seems to vary based on how the government feels at any moment. The one Geo bonus seemed to be that you could warm the water going into the water heater and reduce that cost. I know from talking to home owners that had owned both most seemed to want to go conventional gas heat and normal AC in their next house.
View Quote

The credit is current law.  I don't like it or agree but right now the 30% of total cost needs to be factored into the 'total cost'.  

Wish big brother would get out of our lives but that is not the case at this time.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 10:52:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 10:58:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 11:30:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have a geothermal system.  I love it.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 11:40:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 10:52:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Don't discount orientation and passive solar heating.
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 11:08:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

What kind?   Will you talk about it a little, so we who do NOT have those systems, can learn what works?

Where do you live, what is your house like, etc....

View Quote

I know you directed this to another but I've not posted my system's maker:  Water Furnace

just another data point
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 12:02:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 2:43:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

That's very important.   There were evidently some serious issues with that company in the past, but I think it's always good to recognize that companies go through bad times, and often get their acts together and do better.

View Quote

My system is also Waterfurnace. I know some others have said in the other threads that Waterfurnace was terrible but mine has been 100% trouble free, it's 15 years old. I think improper installation may be the cause of many of the problems. I have a good friend that used to sell Waterfurnace, he still claims they're one of the best made, but their CS is terrible. Basically, as he put it, he rarely ever had a problem with any Waterfurnace units, but if he did, getting service from them was very painful. He quit installing them for that reason alone.

ETA, if you don't have the space for a horizontal closed loop I suggest thinking long and hard about how badly you want geo. Anything except the horizontal closed loop is going to increase cost and potential for problems. Closed loop is the only loop type I would have and vertical closed loops are spendy (takes a massive drill bit and the right type of soil).
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 11:16:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 10:57:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

This is zone 6.  
View Quote

I believe you might be referencing USDA plant hardiness zones. All of Kentucky is climate zone 4 which is what should be considered for heating/ cooling.
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 10:31:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 10:44:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Make sure either you know how to maintain and service the system or there are local options
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 1:15:45 PM EDT
[#27]
When we had our house built 11 years ago, we had geothermal installed.  I love it in the summer.  I can keep the house very cool for relatively cheap plus we have a desuperheater hooked up to the water heater.  In the winter, it is not as efficient here in Northeast Ohio.  I am finally ripping out our cheap fireplace insert and putting in a proper wood stove this summer so that I can maintain warmer temps in the winter.  Our bills in the summer average about $200 in a 2500 sq ft house.  Range is propane but everything else is electric.  Winter bills are usually $350 and up to $400.  I wish I would have gone with natural gas heat.  When this unit dies it will be a tough choice and will depend on the numbers.
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 2:57:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
When we had our house built 11 years ago, we had geothermal installed.  I love it in the summer.  I can keep the house very cool for relatively cheap plus we have a desuperheater hooked up to the water heater.  In the winter, it is not as efficient here in Northeast Ohio.  I am finally ripping out our cheap fireplace insert and putting in a proper wood stove this summer so that I can maintain warmer temps in the winter.  Our bills in the summer average about $200 in a 2500 sq ft house.  Range is propane but everything else is electric.  Winter bills are usually $350 and up to $400.  I wish I would have gone with natural gas heat.  When this unit dies it will be a tough choice and will depend on the numbers.
View Quote

The loop will still be good when that unit dies. Replacement cost on geo is significantly cheaper than the initial cost...

I would still go geo when it dies. Especially if you have a source for wood secondary heat. That would be an easy decision for me. Burn wood when it's cold and when you feel like it, kick the geo on for heat when you don't feel like it.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 10:33:22 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Im in far NE GA and couldnt find anyone to do geothermal on a new construction build. Not one HVAC company was willing... It was quite frustrating.
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 1:06:37 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 5:56:43 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Why can't regular people do this?

View Quote

Regular people can do it, about the only equipment that may be challenging to get is a flush cart (for flushing all the air out of the loop. But if you've seen one and are handy it can be built.

I suspect with many things, it seems daunting to think about until you've seen it done and when/where will you see it done?

Additional reasons may be sourcing the unit and voiding the warranty. Most HVAC warranties are void if not installed by a pro. As a more specialized piece of equipment most supply channels catering to the DIY crowd will not carry geo units. Most pros that carry them will not sell just the unit (I even ran into this on mini-split units when trying to source them locally).

Other complexities are sizing the lines and loop properly, getting the proper pumping and valving setup etc. Controls can also be a challenge. My system has a multistage compressor and it requires a special thermostat that can't be sourced through big box stores etc.

One reason a geo unit is actually easier is that the refrigeration system is all self contained and should come pre charged with refrigerant.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 9:39:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 4:10:09 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

So you did your own, right?

How did you end up getting the stuff you needed?

View Quote

It was already here when we bought the place. But seeing how it is done I would not hesitate to do it if the opportunity presented itself.
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 6:07:07 AM EDT
[#34]
Just do an air to air and fossil fuel backup/emer furnace instead. Air to air have come a LONG way in the past 10 years.

The cost of maintaining equipment will probably cost more then you will save in the long run. Wait times can be long for some of the parts and finding parts can be ''interesting'' down the road unless you go for a well known name brand.
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 10:15:40 AM EDT
[#35]
I appreciate all the assistance on this. we've been busy with vacations and moving so i forgot about this thread for a while. I called several places in west Michigan to discuss some install options and it's pretty sad. Most places wont allow you to do the pipe work yourself. the one company said they only work with one pipe layer and he wont install pipes if there's standing water once you dig down... seems like a cheap excuse to not do it given that everywhere along west Michigan has super high water from what I've seen and heard.

One thing I found during my research is air bleeding properly and spending the extra money to use distilled water to prevent accumulation of crud in the lines. That said, unless I can find a company thats willing to work with me on the install process and allow me to do the piping myself, I think I'm SOL. But ill keep digging into options.
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 2:49:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Just do an air to air and fossil fuel backup/emer furnace instead. Air to air have come a LONG way in the past 10 years.

The cost of maintaining equipment will probably cost more then you will save in the long run. Wait times can be long for some of the parts and finding parts can be ''interesting'' down the road unless you go for a well known name brand.
View Quote

This, just this. Nearly zero reason for geothermal at this point.
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 4:45:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Everything that I have looked into, seems like Geo would be a pretty easy DIY when using it with a conventional HVAC system.  Still trying to figure out if radiant floor heating is worth it.

Look on YouTube for a channel called "Challenged" or search for Geo DIY install.  He covers a lot of the DIY aspect of it.  Biggest saving was burying the pipe himself.

He does go over that having a high ground water table helps as well as other types of soil types.
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 6:06:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Says the guy from TX?

I strongly disagree with your assertion but I'm not going to start a manhood measuring contest.

Look into the details of COP, SEER etc and apply a little knowledge and you'll discover that the numbers are misleading and the means by which systems are compared is very advantageous to air-to-air systems when real life performance will be drastically different.
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 7:09:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Says the guy from TX?

I strongly disagree with your assertion but I'm not going to start a manhood measuring contest.

Look into the details of COP, SEER etc and apply a little knowledge and you'll discover that the numbers are misleading and the means by which systems are compared is very advantageous to air-to-air systems when real life performance will be drastically different.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Says the guy from TX?

Sure, I always enjoy learning more. We all should. In very cold climates without fossil fuel for backup, I understand avoiding ASHP’s. Otherwise, inverter compressors and VRF have come a long, long way even in the last ten years. Newer systems put out rated btu’s down to -5F or so. Mitsubishi says COP>2.0 above 5degF. But go ahead and disagree. I’d love to see the economic case in Indiana or east Michigan for that matter for modern air to air plus fossil fuel backup(where feasible) vs geothermal where geothermal wins. But I don’t live nor work there so I’ll bow out to the towers of intellect and experience here.

But since this is in a tech forum: Just looked it up, for Indianapolis/Marion County 99.6% day is -1.8degF, 99% day is 6degF. That’s inside the operating envelope of modern ASHP’s, if - and this is a big if - they are selected and sized correctly. Most of eastern Michigan is in the same ballpark, checking various counties.

Conventional heat pumps? Sure, below 40degF or so they struggle.
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 12:45:15 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 1:09:15 AM EDT
[#41]
Almost 30 years in hvac now.

I considered it when I remodeled a 130 year old farmhouse 5 years ago. I had the space for the loop, have the equipment to put in the loop myself, and have the resources and skills to install it myself.

I decided against it.

After figuring cost per btu, I went with a 21 seer DC inverter heat pump with a modulating 97% lp furnace.  

I heat 2600 sq ft. 2x4 construction with fiberglass in the walls, but newer windows. Not an energy efficient house by any standard. Last year we used 160 gallons of propane and 6600 kWh for heat.  Less than $1200 total.

We put a wood stove in this year so those numbers will go down.

I also don’t own a flush cart and didn’t want to build one, so I couldn’t do my own maintenance. I have basic geo knowledge, but not an expert by any means, and I wanted to be able to service my own system. It is what I do for a living.  Lol.

My carrier infinity zoned system has needed zero service in the 5 years it’s been in service.

Link Posted: 3/31/2023 5:18:05 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Explain this for dummies please?

@fxntime

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Explain this for dummies please?

@fxntime

Air to air [heat pump] pretty much an A/C unit with a reversing valve and electronics so you are extracting heat from either outside or inside depending on season.

emer/back up heat [nat gas or propane] standard furnace, use both as the air handler for the heat pump, when heat pump is in defrost mode and when the heat pump can't keep up.
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 5:51:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

This has been my experience as well. The customers I do service calls for hate them. Expensive repairs and waiting on parts.

Supposedly there is air to air heat pumps coming that are surpassing ground source units. Supposedly.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 11:20:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Mitsubishi says COP>2.0 above 5degF.
View Quote

Not to drudge up an old topic but I forgot to come back and check this thread and a thread in general reminded me about it.

Just for point of reference, GSHP have COP between 3 and 8 in heating. 3 is considered very poor performance, 8 is what you could expect if you're in an area with very high ground temperatures. Cooling COPs for GSHPs are significantly higher.

The discussion that made me think to come back to this? A thread discussing cleaning of the condenser fins on ASHPs. Currently folks are disagreeing about what cleaners are ok to use and whether to add a screen on the outside or not. The only consensus is that it needs to be done regularly. That's definitely something you don't have to worry about with GSHPs. I've never had to do anything to my GSHP, it's 15 years old, was properly installed, and gets a checkup and loop flush every 3-4 years.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top