Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/2/2019 12:32:41 PM EDT
I filled my tank in August. I had it out a few time and then once in September. My plan was to use most of the fuel by the end of fall but I injured my back in September and it is just starting to get better. I now have a boat in my garage with pretty much a full tank. Should I just add stabilizer? I can’t get on the wAter to run the older fuel out of the lines. Is that a problem? Recommendations are appreciated.
Link Posted: 11/2/2019 1:01:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Add stabilizer and run the boat. You need to work the treated fuel into the lines.
Link Posted: 11/2/2019 1:24:42 PM EDT
[#2]
How to long do I need to run it?
Link Posted: 11/2/2019 1:27:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Thejetmechanic1990:
Add stabilizer and run the boat. You need to work the treated fuel into the lines.
View Quote
This.  And top off the tank with non ethanol.
Link Posted: 11/2/2019 1:28:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By GR00VYJERRY:
How to long do I need to run it?
View Quote
Put muffs in it and let it run about 10 mins.
Link Posted: 11/2/2019 1:44:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By GR00VYJERRY:
I filled my tank in August. I had it out a few time and then once in September. My plan was to use most of the fuel by the end of fall but I injured my back in September and it is just starting to get better. I now have a boat in my garage with pretty much a full tank. Should I just add stabilizer? I can’t get on the wAter to run the older fuel out of the lines. Is that a problem? Recommendations are appreciated.
View Quote

Year old fuel is not a problem. Fuel/water filter and stabilizer are your friend.
Link Posted: 11/2/2019 7:57:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Oldgold:

Year old fuel is not a problem. Fuel/water filter and stabilizer are your friend.
View Quote
It certainly can be in a vented fuel tank. The ethanol in the fuel will absorb water right out of the air.

When that happens, the fuel goes into phase separation leaving a nasty blend of ethanol and

water in the bottom of the tank. This mixture is very corrosive and will mess things up

quickly.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 4:13:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Don't be lazy about it.

Dump the gas into your car's tank.

FOG THE BOAT MOTOR.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top