Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/12/2022 9:42:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TT4life]
I need to get a new emergency beacon and am going back and first on these two. I really like some of the features with the Zoleo (dedicated phone number/email that’s separate, messaging that’s seamless between sat/Wi-Fi/cell service) but also like that the InReach doesn’t need your cell phone to send custom messages.

Any thoughts as to which I should get?  It will be used primarily on long distance hikes.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 9:48:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 9:52:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I’ve used the zoleo in interesting places all over the world. Instant and reliable comms.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 10:04:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm using the inreach explorer+ because its a standalone device. Has a screen, maps. It DOES have its own email address. The phone number situation is a little weird with it. Once you text someone with it they can reply back and the number will be good for a while (dont know how long). You can link it to a phone via bluetooth to make sending messages easier.

I've had it for years and been happy with it.
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 10:40:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Foxxz:
I'm using the inreach explorer+ because its a standalone device. Has a screen, maps. It DOES have its own email address. The phone number situation is a little weird with it. Once you text someone with it they can reply back and the number will be good for a while (dont know how long). You can link it to a phone via bluetooth to make sending messages easier.

I've had it for years and been happy with it.
View Quote

Thanks for the insight but I would go Mini 2 if I go Garmin.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 12:02:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Why GARMIN InReach Mini is THE BEST Satellite Communicator
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 8:42:13 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't use my phone for photos, I'll have separate camera for that, so I'm happy to leave my cell phone behind.  I have an InReach Explorer+ and it works great as a stand alone device, and does so in all weather, as the buttons are easy to operate in gloves or mittens.

If the Mini 2 can send custom messages without the need for a cell phone, I would consider migrating over to the Mini 2, because it's half the size, half the weight.

Having some rando cell number assigned for the InReach communications hasn't been a problem, and it's been the same number for a couple of years.  I don't know what the number is today, exactly, but it's been consistent enough that people on the receiving end have had no problem following along.  This includes a lot of strangers, because people I'm traveling with, or random people I meet along the way, will sometimes use it to get messages out to friends and family.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top