Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/15/2020 9:33:19 PM EDT
So my Garmin GPSMAP 60 died after about 10 years of use.

I can get their products at near wholesale, so I was looking at the GPSMAP 66st.  Is Garmin still well regarded?  This will be more for oh crap I’m lost in the desert than suburbia hikes next to a starbucks to recharge my iPhone.
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 9:45:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I just sacrificed my GPSMAP 62 to the river Gods after a good long run. Garmin is still good to go. I'm not sure if I will buy some version of the 66 or a 64. My brother has a 66 inreach version and it's a pretty solid unit. Is inreach something you are interested in?
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 9:48:43 PM EDT
[#2]
I have an old garmin, so I can't help you, but if you travel to rural areas with low to nonexistent cell service, I find a stand alone GPS is able to locate things and navigate you there rather than giving you a "fuck you" error message that your phone aps will give in that scenario.

You know, just in case you need to justify the purchase.
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 9:52:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a GPSMAP 64ST. I really like it. If it died or I lost it, I’d buy another one.
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 11:44:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a GPSMAP 64ST. I really like it. If it died or I lost it, I’d buy another one.
View Quote

Same here.
There are many places where Im at that I cant get mobile signal so a GPS is a must for back country hunting
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 9:08:07 AM EDT
[#5]
I have owned Garmin going clear back to the GPS 12 and GPS II+ and my current unit is a 62s.  They have always performed well and held up to the abuse.  IMHO Garmin is still G2G
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 9:29:33 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a Garmin Etrex Vista and while it was ok, the maps in it sucked. The GPSMAP 64ST seems to have excellent maps. I’ve uploaded maps from gpsfiledepot. The map loading software doesn’t seem to be the greatest but the maps work fine. Overall, my experience indicates they are pretty accurate. Not perfect (some rivers are a little off) but good enough to navigate with.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 9:36:31 AM EDT
[#7]
I've got several Garmins and I'm happy with them.  They do what I need them to do.

I'm also the type of person who isn't too fond of the "all in one" type device.  So even though my phone has a GPS and maps, I still use a stand alone GPS and have paper maps with me.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 1:23:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I just sacrificed my GPSMAP 62 to the river Gods after a good long run. Garmin is still good to go. I'm not sure if I will buy some version of the 66 or a 64. My brother has a 66 inreach version and it's a pretty solid unit. Is inreach something you are interested in?
View Quote
If your around water a lot get the one that floats.

I am saving up for a 78 series because the float and we are on rivers and i know i will drop it.
Just wish the body was a bright color.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 1:41:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I am saving up for a 78 series because the float and we are on rivers and i know i will drop it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine was multipurpose hunting, fishing, backpacking and kayaking. A few weeks back I hit a pretty heavy stretch of rapids in the kayak. I was trying to avoid a partially submerged boulder and my paddle hit my Ram mount and my GPS was gone for good. The screen on the 66 series is MUCH nicer than the 62/64 series. The 78 series looks like it has a pretty good screen as well. I've been leaning towards a 66, just unsure of the version. The inreach version looks to be about $100 more, but I already have an Inreach SE that I'm happy with. I may have to look into the 78 as well. Pro-tip: Tether your shit, even if it is in a premium mount.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 1:43:51 PM EDT
[#10]
They work ok, but are still in the stone age as far as the UI goes.
They also want much too much for their map data - but that seems to be a common problem.

The other problem is that they are now Chinese owned. So any UI "improvements" are liable to be negative.

Last time I tried to download map data, I had to find a crappy old Windows machine to do it because the app they use is coded to use an API from the Netscape browser (!?!?!?!) which, of course, is deprecated by pretty much everyone.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 5:24:14 PM EDT
[#11]
I switched from an older Garmin eTrex unit that gave up the ghost while I was deep in the woods in unfamiliar territory (always....always have paper maps and a compass).
Wanting to research the newer devices a bit, before purchase, I decided to give one of the phone apps a try (Gaia GPS).

Turns out I prefer the phone app over the dedicated GPS. Maps are downloadable for offline viewing and use and the GPS has been every bit as accurate as my handheld was.
For normal woods hunting I carry a phone charger/battery pack. Between a full charge on the phone and the external battery I can get 4 days of operation. If I was really going off grid I would probably buy a battery back that took AA batteries so I could replace them as needed. Putting the phone in airplane mode stretches the battery life another day at least.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 9:53:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
They also want much too much for their map data - but that seems to be a common problem.

The other problem is that they are now Chinese owned. So any UI "improvements" are liable to be negative.

Last time I tried to download map data, I had to find a crappy old Windows machine to do it because the app they use is coded to use an API from the Netscape browser (!?!?!?!) which, of course, is deprecated by pretty much everyone.
View Quote

Can you provide proof that Garmin is Chinese owned?
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 11:35:33 PM EDT
[#13]
You want one that supports Galileo like the GPSMAP 64-66 series.
Search for Garmin supported devices

What models have received a software update so far to support Galileo?
Newer Garmin devices received a software update to include the ability to connect to the Galileo Satellite Network in addition to the United States GPS constellation.  You will find the option to connect to both GPS+Galileo under the GPS settings of the device.  For more details on whether your device has this feature and how to access this setting, refer to your Owner's Manual.

Galileo Satellite Network For Fitness and Outdoor Devices
Link Posted: 6/18/2020 12:27:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I can get their products at near wholesale, so I was looking at the GPSMAP 66st.  Is Garmin still well regarded?  This will be more for oh crap I’m lost in the desert than suburbia hikes next to a starbucks to recharge my iPhone.
View Quote

I have a 60csx, a 62s and a 66i

Would recommend looking for a 62s or a 64s unless you need satellite functionality of 66i.
I do not believe the 66 series are ready for prime time.  I’ve had many discussions with Garmin.
I manage the radios and gpsr for our SAR team.
We had 20+ 60 series and 15 64 series gpsr’s.
Link Posted: 6/18/2020 12:30:42 AM EDT
[#15]
I see mention of the other satellite systems.

I disable the other satellite systems from working in our Garmin’s.  They contribute to excessive battery use.( short battery life).
Link Posted: 6/18/2020 2:49:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

According to wiki (yes I know) “Since 2010, the company is incorporated in Schaffhausen, Switzerland.”
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 2:15:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I switched from an older Garmin eTrex unit that gave up the ghost while I was deep in the woods in unfamiliar territory (always....always have paper maps and a compass).
Wanting to research the newer devices a bit, before purchase, I decided to give one of the phone apps a try (Gaia GPS).

Turns out I prefer the phone app over the dedicated GPS. Maps are downloadable for offline viewing and use and the GPS has been every bit as accurate as my handheld was.
For normal woods hunting I carry a phone charger/battery pack. Between a full charge on the phone and the external battery I can get 4 days of operation. If I was really going off grid I would probably buy a battery back that took AA batteries so I could replace them as needed. Putting the phone in airplane mode stretches the battery life another day at least.
View Quote

@98Redline

I got the free Gaia app recently and was pretty blown away.  I went on a 2-hour mountain bike ride through trails and even after losing cell signal it had downloaded the area map so no trouble navigating to the pond we were going to.  The quality of the map was perfect for what I needed.  

I still want a Garmin GPS which is what brought me to this thread, but everyone should at least download the Gaia app.
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 8:28:41 PM EDT
[#18]
64ST user here and it does everything I need it to.  If it died today I’d likely grab another no questions asked.
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 10:42:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

I don't think anyone is as on top of their game as well as Garmin in the GPS game. I can't recommend a model for you as I haven't looked at that end of the market for a while (my old units still work great) but the motorcycle GPS I just got is like comparing gravel to diamonds compared to the competition.
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 10:47:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I have owned Garmin going clear back to the GPS 12 and GPS II+ and my current unit is a 62s.  They have always performed well and held up to the abuse.  IMHO Garmin is still G2G
View Quote

LoL, I know, right? My GPS2 and 2+ still work! I think I got the 2 in 1996 or so and it still does things current GPS units won't.

That should say something.... how many electronic devices do you guys own  that sill work 25 years later?
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 10:49:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Unless something changed, Garmin is a Taiwanese company.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top