Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/17/2023 4:56:15 PM EDT
Picked one up at an estate sale for $3.00

Are they any good for anything?  Outdated?  Junk?
Link Posted: 3/18/2023 11:05:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Should still be good!   Super easy to use.  I grew up using that one and still have two of them.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 12:58:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Fired up with new batteries, but won’t lock onto Satellites.

Seems to work ok, but need the satellites lock first.

LAST thing to do is read the instructions ????

Link Posted: 3/19/2023 7:38:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Fired up with new batteries, but won’t lock onto Satellites.

Seems to work ok, but need the satellites lock first.

LAST thing to do is read the instructions ????

View Quote

Just make sure you set the date/time correctly.  It should find them.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 2:14:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Did you get it up and running?
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 3:17:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Isn’t that a Magellan GPS 2000?

I had one years ago. Actually used it to call for artillery fire in Iraq in 2004. Needed our grid coordinates quick. Bought it in 1998 if I remember correctly. It was great for the time but GPS units have really improved a lot since then. Mine got a hole in the keypad so I tossed it.

I replaced it with a Garmin Etrex Vista which was a nice unit. The Vista has since been replaced with a Garmin GPSMAP 64ST which blows the other two away.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 4:11:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Isn’t that a Magellan GPS 2000?

I had one years ago. Actually used it to call for artillery fire in Iraq in 2004. Needed our grid coordinates quick. Bought it in 1998 if I remember correctly. It was great for the time but GPS units have really improved a lot since then. Mine got a hole in the keypad so I tossed it.

I replaced it with a Garmin Etrex Vista which was a nice unit. The Vista has since been replaced with a Garmin GPSMAP 64ST which blows the other two away.
View Quote

Crap I didn't even think to mention that, but yes you are right.  Definitely a Magellan unit.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 10:29:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Did you get it up and running?
View Quote

Still won’t lock on to satellites.

Still playing with it.

Old VW beetle taking a lot of spare time...
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 5:01:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Still won’t lock on to satellites.

Still playing with it.

Old VW beetle taking a lot of spare time...
View Quote

If I remember correctly, you had to select your location in the world to connect to the satellites quicker.

Bear in mind, I haven’t used it in a long time so my memory might be inaccurate.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 7:04:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Have you tried letting it sit outside facing up for about 30 minutes to obtain a lock?  My experience with these gps units from that era is that they needed some time to obtain a lock if they hadn't been turned on in a long time, or if they were moved a long distance between power up.

Just let it sit with a clear view of the sky for 30 minutes and see if it finds the satellites
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 10:18:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Got it.

Need to get more batteries first and...

Yes it is a Magellan

Said Garmin cause I bought a Garmin at the same sale for $4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top